MRT3, LRT, PNR services halted after strong quake jolted parts of Luzon
by Robie de Guzman | Posted on Monday, April 22nd, 2019
MANILA, Philippines – The Department of Transportation (DOTr) has ordered the suspension of the operations of Metro Manila’s main rail lines for at least five hours to assess their structures after a magnitude 6.1 earthquake jolted parts of Metro Manila and nearby provinces on Monday afternoon, April 22.
On its Twitter account, DOTr said that operations of the Metro Rail Transit line 3 (MRT-3), Light Rail Transit line 1 (LRT-1) and Light Rail Transit line 2 (LRT-2) will remain suspended until further notice as advised by the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC).
“Upon NDRRMC’s advice at around 5:42 PM to NOT resume operations, instructions were relayed to LRT-1, LRT-2, and MRT-3 NOT to resume operations until further notice,” DOTr said, relaying a message from DOTr Assistant Secretary for Communications Goddes Libiran.
“Preliminary guidance from NDRRMC is NOT to resume operations until after a five hour observation period, based on risk of aftershocks, based on a similar earthquake event in Indonesia,” it added.
In a separate Twitter post, the agency said that Transportation Secretary Arthur Tugade ordered to halt the train operations to ensure the safety of commuters.
“Per Secretary Art Tugade, let us not risk the safety of our commuters. Better to be safe than sorry. Siguraduhin na ligtas sakyan ang buong linya bago natin patakbuhin ulit,” DOTr said.
In a post on its official Twitter account, the LRT-1 also announced the suspension of its rail services.
“In the interest of passenger safety, LRT-1 is temporarily suspending its operations for the whole line (Roosevelt-Baclaran),” it said.
The Philippine National Railways (PNR) also temporarily suspended its operations to check whether its structures sustained damages from the strong earthquake.
Meanwhile, the Manila International Airport Authority (MIAA) assured that it is business as usual at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) as no damage was noted on its runways following the quake.
by Robie de Guzman | Posted on Friday, July 19th, 2019
MANILA, Philippines – Hatchback-type and sub-compact cars will now be allowed to operate as transport network vehicle service (TNVS) units, the Department of Transportation (DOTr) said on Friday.
DOTr Secretary Arthur Tugade signed the department order which was announced by Transport Assistant Secretary Goddess Libiran to media.
“Sec. Tugade signs the Department Order permanently allowing hatchbacks and sub-compact cars as TNVS units,” Libiran told reporters in a message.
A copy of the order has yet to be furnished to the media.
The formal signing of the department order follows Tugade’s directive on Thursday for the Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board (LTFRB) to implement its Memorandum Circular (MC) No. 2018-005, which allows hatchback units to operate as public transport on certain conditions.
Tugade issued the instruction following complaints from stakeholders on the matter.
“Kung kailangang baguhin ang ilang dokumento, baguhin. Kung kailangang i-improve, dapat i-improve,” Tugade said in a statement.
Under MC 2018-005, all accredited hatchback units shall be allowed to operate as public transport provided that they only operate during the transition period of three (3) years, only in Metro Manila, and charge a lower fare.
However, only hatchback units that were among the 55,000 units in the masterlist and whose applications were filed from March 5 to December 15, 2018 are entitled to the benefit granted by MC 2018-005.
DOTr Undersecretary for Road Transport and Infrastructure Mark Richmund de Leon earlier said the LTFRB will need to amend its memorandum to allow the permanent classification of hatchbacks as TNVS units, and to re-enlist TNVS units that were previously removed from the masterlist.
He further cited that the inclusion of hatchbacks in the TNVS fleet will greatly benefit the commuting public.
“We are giving the commuters their transport options. Kung gusto niya na mas mura ang biyahe niya, mag-hatchback siya,” he said.
by Robie de Guzman | Posted on Wednesday, July 17th, 2019
MANILA, Philippines – The construction of the Light Rail Transit line 2 (LRT-2) East Extension Project is now 61 percent complete, the Department of Transportation (DOTr) said on Wednesday.
The DOTr said the project, which will add four kilometers of railway tracks from Santolan in Pasig City to Masinag in Antipolo City, is already at 61.93% completion rate as of June 2019.
The LRT-2 extension project will feature two stations – the Emerald station, along Marcos highway and adjoining Gil Fernando and Felix Avenues, and the Masinag station, near Sumulong highway in Antipolo City, Rizal.
The DOTr said the building of the elevated viaduct is already 100 percent complete, while the design and build of the two additional stations are currently ongoing.
“The Emerald Station in Marikina is 89.51% complete while the Masinag Station in Antipolo is at 86.86% complete,” the agency added.
Once operational, it is expected to significantly reduce the travel time from Antipolo to Claro M. Recto in Manila to 40 minutes from the current three hours.
The DOTr is targeting to begin its operations by the fourth quarter of 2020.
by Marje Pelayo | Posted on Wednesday, July 17th, 2019
MANILA, Philippines – The Department of Transportation (DOTr) is targeting the partial operation of MRT-7 in 2021.
DOTr Undersecretary for Railways Timothy John Batan said the project will definitely ease the burden of commuters as travel time from Quezon City to San Jose del Monte in Bulacan will reduce significantly from four hours to about 35 minutes once the project is completed.
On Wednesday (July 17), Batan and DOTr officials inspected MRT-7’s construction site in Quezon City to check the work in progress.
According to the project’s contractor San Miguel Corporation, the ongoing construction is already 44% complete which includes the train stations, platforms and the line where the railings will be placed.
The DOTr also announced that the procurement of 36 new train sets from South Korea has already been done.
MRT-7 is a 23-kilometer railway system that connects North Avenue in Quezon City to the province of Bulacan.
The train system traverses 14 stations namely North Avenue, Quezon City Memorial Circle, University Avenue, Tandang Sora, Don Antonio, Batasan, Manggahan, Doña Carmen, Regalado, Mindanao Avenue, Quirino, Sacred Heart, Tala and San Jose Del Monte.
It can load up to 500,000 passengers daily.
To prevent similar glitches as those in MRT Line 3, the DOTr is in close coordination with the agency’s private partners in terms of the regular maintenance of the MRT-7.
Usec. Batan said the completion of the entire project is expected in 2022. – with details from Joan Nano
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.