Motorists experience heavier traffic due to Marcos Bridge closure
Maris Federez • May 28, 2019 • 1237
Patience is a virtue. This is what motorists have to remind themselves every day in the next four months as they brave the heavy traffic from Quezon City to Rizal province.
This is because Marcos Bridge that connects Katipunan Avenue in Quezon City to Marikina City, and Taytay and Antipolo in Rizal has been closed since last Saturday (May 25) for its 4-month rehabilitation.
More than six thousand vehicles are estimated to pass by the bridge every hour.
This has affected a big number of UV express vans, jeepneys and other public utility vehicles that ply the Cogeo-Cubao route.
Drivers, whether public or private, had been complaining about the very heavy traffic that they had to endure every day.
There is also the mounting concern on the traffic that is expected to get worse as most schools will be opening their classes this coming Monday, June 3.
“Siyempre, kailangan lagi kaming aware sa kalsada prepare para doon sa bugso ng mga estudyante, then ‘yung bugso rin ng mga sasakyan. Yun ‘yung oras na kinakailangan namin mag-doble sikap para mapaluwang natin at maserbisyuhan natin ‘yung taong bayan [Of course, we need to be aware on the road, we have to prepare for the volume of students, the surge of vehicles. These are the times that we have to act double time to clear the roads, so we can better serve the public],” said Rodel Lucis, Quezon City Department of Public Order and Safety supervisor.
From Cubao, take Aurora Blvd. then right turn to Katipunan Ave., take service road of Libis underpass, left turn to Boni Serrano and take FVR Road straight to Macapagal Bridge then Marcos Highway to Antipolo
From Cubao, right turn to 15th Avenue, then left turn to Boni Serrano, take FVR Road, straight to Macapagal Bridge then Marcos Highway to Antipolo
Trucks from Cubao to Antipolo Route:
From Cubao, take Aurora Blvd, then right turn to Katipunan Avenue, take service road of Libis underpass, left turn to Boni Serrano, straight to FVR Road, take Macapagal Bridge then Sumulong Highway to Antipolo
Vehicles from Antipolo to Cubao Routes:
From Antipolo, take Sumulong Highway then A. Bonifacio Avenue, straight ahead Aurora Blvd., to Cubao.
From Antipolo, take Marcos Highway and right turn to Fernando Ave, then take A. Bonifacio Ave. straight ahead Aurora Blvd. to Cubao.
From Antipolo, take Marcos Highway, take down ramp to Marcos Bridge service road then FVR road, straight ahead right turn to Katipunan Avenue, left turn to Aurora Boulevard, straight ahead to Cubao
From Antipolo, take Marcos Highway then FVR Road straight ahead take Boni Serrano Ave., then right turn to 20th Ave., left turn to Aurora Blvd., to Cubao
Trucks from Antipolo to Cubao Route:
From Antipolo, take Marcos Highway then FVR Road straight ahead, right turn to Katipunan Ave., left turn to Aurora Blvd. straight ahead to Cubao
The Quezon City Department of Public Order and Safety (DPOS) on Monday (September 23) demolished the portion of the façade of the Traffic Sector 2 building of the Quezon City Police District (QCPD) in Novaliches, as its two pillars have occupied the sidewalk and are causing obstruction.
DPOS personnel said they are not exempting anyone in their clearing operations.
The structure was erected in 2007 and was not obstructing pedestrian traffic then, but the city’s road-widening project has affected the area which caused the two pillars of the building to occupy the sidewalk.
The QCPD personnel also helped in the demolition of the said pillars.
“Kailangan po nating sundin ang utos ng ating minamahal na Pangulo [We need to abide by the directive of our dear President],” Col. Colenrico Vargas, QCPD Deputy District Director for Operation, said.
DPOS assured that the Quezon City District Engineer office has checked the integrity of the building to ensure that it will not collapse and is still safe to use even with the removal of the two front pillars of the building.
“Ire- remove po natin from ground to hanggang doon po sa roofline. Ok naman po iyong structural napag- aralan na po namin hindi naman po maapektuhan iyong whole structure [We will remove from ground to the roofline. We have studied the structural pattern and we noted that (the demolition) will not affect the whole structure],” Engr. Ronnie Remo of the Quezon City District 5 Engineering office said. (from the report of Aiko Miguel) /mbmf
The Quezon City Department of Public Order and Safety (DPOS) on Monday demolished stalls that have extended to the sidewalks in Barangay Sta Lucia public market .
The clearing operations affected more than 30 stalls.
DPOS Chief Roger Cuaresma said the stall-owners had been given adequate time to fix their stores.
“Kanina hindi natin makita ang sidewalk, ngayon clear na ang sidewalk. Actually, karamihan dito sa mga stall-owner, nagse-self dismantle na rin (A while back we couldn’t see the sidewalk, now it’s cleared. Actually, some of the stall-owners also conducted self-dismantling [of stores]),” Cuaresma reported.
The clearing ops had been peaceful and orderly, although some vendors were a bit dismayed by the interruption.
Cuaresma, however, said the clearing operations would have been faster if the residents and the vendors that occupy the sidewalks had been cooperative.
He added that some stall-owners asked for more time for them to be able to transfer to a better location.
“Kasi sila na raw ang magse- self demolish. Katulad nito, hindi namin tinanggal kasi bigasan. Kapag tinanggal namin iyan, masisira ang bigas. Kaya sila na lang magtatanggal hanggang hapon (They said they will self-demolish. Like this one, we did not touch it because they sell rice. If we demolished it, the rice might get affected. So they will be the one to demolish until this afternoon),” Cuaresma said. (with reports from Aiko Miguel) /mbmf
Since Friday last week, the traffic situation along EDSA has gone from bad to worse.
Commuters and motorists alike are blaming the Metropolitan Manila Development Authorities (MMDA) for its strict implementation of the yellow lane policy.
The MMDA, however, countered that the agency is only clearing out the lanes from undisciplined bus drivers who would haphazardly stop along EDSA to take in passengers.
MMDA said this practice would cause congestion as what happened last Monday (August 5).
Despite the measure taken by the MMDA, it earned criticism on social media, branding the agency as anti-commuter.
MMDA traffic czar Col. Edison “Bong” Nebrija said yellow lanes on EDSA would never be congested if only motorists will learn how to give way to each other.
The MMDA pointed out that the lack of discipline of motorists, particularly city bus drivers, causes traffic congestion along Metro Manila’s major thoroughfare.
“Discipline. Kapag tinanong mo yung bus (driver), alam mo ba yung tama? Lisensyado ka ba? Alam mo yung tama? Oo, Sir. Alam mo yung mali” Yes, Sir. Alam mong mali yung ginagawa mo? Opo. Eh bakit mo ginagawa? Traffic, Sir, eh [When you ask the bus (driver), do you know what’s right? Do you have a license? Do you know what’s right? Yes, Sir. Do you know what’s wrong? Yes, Sir. Do you know that what you’re doing is wrong? Yes. So why do you still do it? Because it’s traffic, Sir],” Nebrija cited. (with details from Joan Nano) /mbmf
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.