The closure is in line with the EDSA busway project that aims to provide faster mobility for the riding public, the agency said in an advisory.
Affected motorists are advised to take the Quezon Avenue Service Road U-turn slot (northbound) or Dario Bridge U-turn slot (southbound) as alternate route.
The agency planned to close all U-turn slots along EDSA to designate the inner lane for the smooth operation of the EDSA Busway project.
The agency had already closed two U-turn slots situated on North Avenue near Trinoma Shopping Mall and the one in front of Quezon City Academy.
Aside from the earlier announced U-turn slots, the MMDA also plans to close other U-turn slots namely: De Jesus, Gen. Tinio, Malvar, and Biglang-Awa in Caloocan City; Balintawak, Kaingin, Landers, Dario Bridge, Walter Mart, Timog, and Santolan in Quezon City.
MANILA, Philippines – Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) spokesperson Celine Pialago on Monday apologized to detained activist Reina Mae Nacino for her controversial remark about her plight and her late infant, Baby River.
Pialago drew flak over the weekend for her social media post where she urged the public to know Nacino’s story first before sympathizing with her.
In her post on Sunday, Pialago criticized Nacino’s supporters, whom she said are turning her grief and plight into a “drama serye.”
Nacino, an urban poor organizer facing charges of illegal possession of explosives and firearms, was only allowed by the court a few hours to attend the wake and burial of her three-month old infant.
Baby River died of pneumonia last Oct 9 while Reina Mae remained in detention. The infant was buried on Friday at the Manila North Cemetery, with critics blasting the strong presence of police and jail guards escorting Nacino.
Pialago apologized to those who thought her comment was insensitive to the plight of mothers who lost their child, but stressed she won’t take back her “drama serye” remark.
“When I posted drama serye, I didn’t mean na tratuhing drama yung hinagpis ni Reina it’s not that… I never meant na dapat hindi sya maghinagpis bilang isang ina. Nawalan rin ako ng mga mahal ko sa buhay, I know the feeling wag nating ilipat dun sa context na yun,” she said in an interview.
“Ang dating kasi nung iba dun sa sinabi kong drama serye wala na siyang karapatang maghinagpis kasi political prisoner siya. Ang dating wala na siyang karapatang bumisita eh binigyan nga sya ng furlough eh… nakikidalamhati kami sayo sa aspeto na yan dahil wala nang sasakit pa sa mamatayan ng anak,” she added.
She said she did not mean to attack Nacino’s grief with the loss of her baby when she used the term.
She also emphasized that the “drama serye” she was referring to were people who were “capitalizing” on Nacino’s situation to gain sympathy from the public and turn them against the government.
“Stop thinking doon sa mga hindi nakakaintindi. Stop thinking na I’m insensitive enough for them. Pero please, sana naman… Salamat doon sa mga nakakaintindi na ang pinupunto nung drama serye huwag palakihin, wag gamitin yung unfortunate situation para lang ma-highlight na mapang-api ang gobyerno,” she said.
Pialago also stressed that her comment is her own and not part of her role as MMDA’s spokesperson.
MMDA general manager Jojo Garcia echoed Pialago’s statement and assured that her opinion does not reflect the agency’s stand on the issue.
“Nagsalita siya at her own capacity, it’s not the stand of MMDA. Kung may personal opinion siya, it’s her right to say that,” Garcia said.
“I think Asec. Celine is responsible enough to handle yung ganitong klase ng mga situation,” he added.
Malacañang, meanwhile, refused to comment and would rather let Pialago handle the issue.
“Tingin ko po personal na opinion niya yan, hindi naman po kasi related sa MMDA yang issue, so hayaan po natin na magkaroon ng personal na opinion si Spokesperson Pialago,” Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said.
Nacino and two others were arrested in Tondo, Manila in November 2019 for alleged illegal possession of firearms and explosives. She was one month pregnant at the time of her arrest.
She gave birth last July and was ordered separated from her baby in August despite her pleadings filed before Manila Regional Trial Court. – RRD (with details from Correspondent Joan Nano)
MANILA, Philippines — The Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) announced on Tuesday (October 6) the temporary suspension of the Pasig River Ferry System due to overgrowth of water lilies and other aquatic plants that clog the river.
In a message to reporters, MMDA chief information officer Sharon Gentalian said the operations of the Pasig River Ferry System will remain suspended “until further notice.”
The overgrowth of water hyacinth has long been a problem affecting the overall operation of the ferry system as they clog the river especially during the rainy season blocking the way of barges and other vessels.
Authorities say the water plants entangle the ferry’s propeller apart from pieces of trash already floating on the river, preventing boats from traveling at normal speed.
The MMDA revived the Pasig River system in April 2014 under then MMDA chair now Senator Francis Tolentino to decongest major roads in Metro Manila.
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.