MMDA eyes transfer of Cubao bus terminals to Valenzuela City

Marje Pelayo   •   August 7, 2018   •   13750

QUEZON CITY, Philippines –  The Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) is looking to transfer the provincial bus terminals in Cubao, Quezon City to an interim terminal in Valenzuela City.

This is following the enforcement of a new traffic management scheme seeking to totally ban the provincial buses from plying along EDSA beginning August 15. Violators of the policy will be fined with P2,000.

According to the MMDA, the plan aims to ease traffic congestion in EDSA.

The Valenzuela interim terminals can accommodate around 300 bus units. It is planned to be operational starting August 15 and will serve as the main station for buses going to and from Central and Northern Luzon.

“Iyan talaga ang projection ng MMDA (na) tanggalin ang mga provincial bus terminal sa EDSA. We’re planning na doon na lang kung kakayanin,” explained Edison Nebrija, Head of MMDA’s Special Task Force.

There are 46 bus terminals along EDSA based on MMDA records and relocating these to another area might present difficulties for some passengers. The agency, however, clarified that the proposal is still being studied.

They are also coordinating with the Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board (LTFRB) on the issuance of special permits for 150 city buses.

This is to provide access for buses to load and unload passengers from the interim terminal.

The agency is also looking to open the integrated terminal in Sta. Rosa, Laguna this year that will cater buses bound for Southern Luzon.

The agency remains hopeful that the new traffic management scheme will help in resolving traffic problem along EDSA. – Joan Nano / UNTV News & Rescue

MMDA calls out undisciplined motorists for worsening traffic on EDSA

Maris Federez   •   August 9, 2019

Since Friday last week, the traffic situation along EDSA has gone from bad to worse.

Commuters and motorists alike are blaming the Metropolitan Manila Development Authorities (MMDA) for its strict implementation of the yellow lane policy.

The MMDA, however, countered that the agency is only clearing out the lanes from undisciplined bus drivers who would haphazardly stop along EDSA to take in passengers.

MMDA said this practice would cause congestion as what happened last Monday (August 5).

Despite the measure taken by the MMDA, it earned criticism on social media, branding the agency as anti-commuter.

MMDA traffic czar Col. Edison “Bong” Nebrija said yellow lanes on EDSA would never be congested if only motorists will learn how to give way to each other.

The MMDA pointed out that the lack of discipline of motorists, particularly city bus drivers, causes traffic congestion along Metro Manila’s major thoroughfare.

“Discipline. Kapag tinanong mo yung bus (driver), alam mo ba yung tama? Lisensyado ka ba? Alam mo yung tama? Oo, Sir. Alam mo yung mali” Yes, Sir. Alam mong mali yung ginagawa mo? Opo. Eh bakit mo ginagawa? Traffic, Sir, eh [When you ask the bus (driver), do you know what’s right? Do you have a license? Do you know what’s right? Yes, Sir. Do you know what’s wrong? Yes, Sir. Do you know that what you’re doing is wrong? Yes. So why do you still do it? Because it’s traffic, Sir],” Nebrija cited. (with details from Joan Nano) /mbmf

MMDA awaits SC decision on fate of provincial bus ban

Maris Federez   •   May 31, 2019

File photo: MMDA personnel accost provincial buses traversing Edsa. (Photo courtesy of MMDA)

The Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) announced on Wednesday that it leaves the fate of the proposed provincial bus ban up to the Supreme Court (SC).

MMDA traffic chief Bong Nebrija said in an interview that “it will depend on the order of the Court if they will tell us to scrap the policy or to hold its implementation.”

He added that they are just waiting for the court order.

Nebrija made the statement after several lawmakers filed separate petitions before the SC to stop the implementation of MMDA Regulation No. 19-002.

The order seeks to ban all provincial buses from plying along Edsa, which one of the petitioners, Albay Representative Joey Salceda, believes as “oppressive and unfair.”

Read: Salceda urges SC to halt provincial bus ban on EDSA

Nebrija further said that while there is still no court order, the MMDA will still push through with its preparations and their plans for the bus terminal closure, which the agency targets to implement in June.

“We’ll wait kung go or no go but we are still preparing, we’re still pushing with the plan. In the absence of a court order, we will push through with it,” he added.

The MMDA official believes that the impending implementation of the provincial bus ban on Edsa remains as one of the best alternatives to decongest Metro Manila roads.

Read: MMDA: Edsa bus ban one of the best options in decongesting Metro Manila

Nebrija, however, said that they still haven’t come up with a timeline from preparations to implementation as they are still yet to receive the policy guidelines from the Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board (LTFRB).

The MMDA had implemented a dry run of the bus ban in April but suspended it in less than a month.

Read: Provincial bus ban dry run suspended—MMDA

/mbmf

Motorists experience heavier traffic due to Marcos Bridge closure

Maris Federez   •   May 28, 2019

Patience is a virtue. This is what motorists have to remind themselves every day in the next four months as they brave the heavy traffic from Quezon City to Rizal province.

This is because Marcos Bridge that connects Katipunan Avenue in Quezon City to Marikina City, and Taytay and Antipolo in Rizal has been closed since last Saturday (May 25) for its 4-month rehabilitation.

More than six thousand vehicles are estimated to pass by the bridge every hour.

This has affected a big number of UV express vans, jeepneys and other public utility vehicles that ply the Cogeo-Cubao route.

Drivers, whether public or private, had been complaining about the very heavy traffic that they had to endure every day.

There is also the mounting concern on the traffic that is expected to get worse as most schools will be opening their classes this coming Monday, June 3.

“Siyempre, kailangan lagi kaming aware sa kalsada prepare para doon sa bugso ng mga estudyante, then ‘yung bugso rin ng mga sasakyan. Yun ‘yung oras na kinakailangan namin mag-doble sikap para mapaluwang natin at maserbisyuhan natin ‘yung taong bayan [Of course, we need to be aware on the road, we have to prepare for the volume of students, the surge of vehicles. These are the times that we have to act double time to clear the roads, so we can better serve the public],” said Rodel Lucis, Quezon City Department of Public Order and Safety supervisor.

To address this concern, the government advises motorists to follow the alternative routes that the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) has laid out and posted on its Facebook account.

Vehicles from Cubao to Antipolo Route:

  1. From Cubao, take Aurora Blvd. then right turn to Katipunan Ave., take service road of Libis underpass, left turn to Boni Serrano and take FVR Road straight to Macapagal Bridge then Marcos Highway to Antipolo
  2. From Cubao, right turn to 15th Avenue, then left turn to Boni Serrano, take FVR Road, straight to Macapagal Bridge then Marcos Highway to Antipolo

Trucks from Cubao to Antipolo Route:

  1. From Cubao, take Aurora Blvd, then right turn to Katipunan Avenue, take service road of Libis underpass, left turn to Boni Serrano, straight to FVR Road, take Macapagal Bridge then Sumulong Highway to Antipolo

Vehicles from Antipolo to Cubao Routes:

  1. From Antipolo, take Sumulong Highway then A. Bonifacio Avenue, straight ahead Aurora Blvd., to Cubao.
  2. From Antipolo, take Marcos Highway and right turn to Fernando Ave, then take A. Bonifacio Ave. straight ahead Aurora Blvd. to Cubao.
  3. From Antipolo, take Marcos Highway, take down ramp to Marcos Bridge service road then FVR road, straight ahead right turn to Katipunan Avenue, left turn to Aurora Boulevard, straight ahead to Cubao
  4. From Antipolo, take Marcos Highway then FVR Road straight ahead take Boni Serrano Ave., then right turn to 20th Ave., left turn to Aurora Blvd., to Cubao

Trucks from Antipolo to Cubao Route:

  1. From Antipolo, take Marcos Highway then FVR Road straight ahead, right turn to Katipunan Ave., left turn to Aurora Blvd. straight ahead to Cubao

(with reports from April Cenedoza) /mbmf

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+63) 396-8688 (Tel)

(+63) 2 920.8336 (Fax)

info@untvweb.com (General inquiries)

support@untvweb.com

UNTV News and Rescue Emergency Hotlines:

LANDLINE (+63) 396-8688

ADVERTISE WITH US

(+63) 2 442.6244 Loc. 143, 144, 162, 164

advertising@untvweb.com

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.