MMDA denies reports on Metro Manila reverting to MECQ

Marje Pelayo   •   July 30, 2020   •   825

MANILA, Philippines – Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) Chairman Danny Lim has denied reports that local chief executives in the National Capital Region (NCR) have suggested to revert Metro Manila to modified enhanced community quarantine (MECQ) status.

In an interview, Lim denounced the reports as fake news saying that the Metro Manila Council of Mayors actually suggested extending the general community quarantine in NCR starting August 1. 

President Rodrigo Duterte, meanwhile, is expected to announce the new quarantine measures on July 31 that will be implemented across the country. –MNP (with reports from Joan Nano)

Dario Bridge U-turn slot in Quezon City now open to motorists – MMDA

Marje Pelayo   •   June 22, 2021

MANILA, Philippines – The Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) reopened on Tuesday (June 22) the U-turn slot at Dario Bridge in Quezon City.

MMDA Chairman Benhur Abalos said the reopening of U-turn slot at Dario Bridge aims to help ease traffic congestion on the northbound lanes of EDSA and reduce motorists’ travel time in the area.

“This would benefit the motorists because they can make a U-turn easily with a shorter route,” said Abalos.

The MMDA chief said he already coordinated with the private contractor of the Common Station connecting the Metro Rail Transit (MRT) and Light Rail Transit (LRT) located between SM North Edsa and Trinoma in Quezon City to likewise decongest traffic in the area.

“I have requested BF Corporation to move back their fences at their work area to open more lanes for passing motorists and fill it with gravel so traffic obstruction could be avoided,” Abalos stressed.

The said U-turn slot was previously closed to give way to the EDSA Bus Carousel.

However, studies on the flow of traffic showed that opening the said U-turn slot would improve the movement of vehicles in the area.

DOT clarifies tourists of all ages from NCR Plus can still travel to Boracay until June 30

Aileen Cerrudo   •   June 16, 2021

MANILA, Philippines — The Department of Tourism (DOT) has clarified that tourists of all ages in the National Capital Region (NCR) Plus are free to travel to Boracay and other tourist destinations under modified general community quarantine (MGCQ) until June 30.

In a statement, Tourism Secretary Berna Romulo-Puyat made the clarification following reports that some tourism stakeholders may not be aware that restrictions had been relaxed, even for seniors and young travelers, since June 1. She said this would further help tourism workers to return to their jobs.

“This extended liberal movement of people will allow the DOT and local government units to revive the jobs of displaced tourism workers,” Puyat said.

The NCR Plus still remains under general community quarantine (GCQ) with varying degrees of restrictions. The Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF) also extended its resolution to allow the movement of persons traveling in and out of NCR Plus until June 30.

The DOT said that, based on IATF Resolution 121, interzonal travel will be allowed in areas under GCQ and MGCQ for leisure purposes. However, tourists coming from Bulacan, Cavite, Laguna, and Rizal may only undertake point-to-point travel to GCQ and MGCQ areas

Meanwhile, Puyat urged tourism enterprises to abide by the guidelines of the IATF. This includes implementing 30% to 50% limited capacity in museums and outdoor tourist attractions.

Essential meetings and other social events such as weddings, birthday celebrations, are allowed in GCQ areas at up to 50% capacity, except for NCR and Bulacan. Essential meetings in the NCR and Bulacan will only have 30% capacity while social events will be at 10% capacity.

“The amended guidelines from the Task Force also comes with the responsibility to strictly adhere to the minimum health and safety protocols when traveling,” Puyat said. AAC 

Duterte extends GCQ with some restrictions in NCR, Bulacan

Maris Federez   •   June 14, 2021

 MANILA, Philippines — President Rodrigo Duterte has approved the extension of the General Community Quarantine (GCQ) classification of the National Capital Region and Bulacan from June 16 to June 30, 2021.

The president made the announcement during his pre-recorded Talk to the Nation which was aired on Monday night (June 14).

Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque, in a statement, said the extension of GCQ in Metro Manila and Bulacan comes with some restrictions.

Roque also said that the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF-MEID) also placed the provinces of Laguna, Cavite, and Rizal in Region 4-A under GCQ with heightened restrictions from June 16 to June 30.

Other areas under GCQ are Baguio City, Kalinga, Mountain Province, Abra, and Benguet in the Cordillera Administrative Region; Isabela, Nueva Vizcaya, and Quirino in Region 2; Batangas and Quezon in Region 4-A; Iligan City in Region 10; Davao del Norte in Region 11; General Santos City, Sultan Kudarat, Sarangani, Cotabato, and South Cotabato in Region 12; and Lanao del Sur and Cotabato City in BARMM, the statement said.

Meanwhile, areas that shall be placed under the Modified Enhanced Community Quarantine (MECQ) from June 16 to June 30 are the City of Santiago and Cagayan in Region 2; Apayao and Ifugao in the Cordillera Administrative Region; Bataan in Region 3; Lucena City in Region4-A; Puerto Princesa in Region 4-B; Naga City in Region 5; and Iloilo City and Iloilo in Region 6.

Other areas under MECQ are Negros Oriental in Region 7; Zamboanga City, Zamboanga Sibugay, Zamboanga del Sur, and Zamboanga del Norte in Region 9; Cagayan de Oro City in Region 10; Davao City in Region 11; and Butuan City, Agusan del Sur, Dinagat Islands, and Surigao del Sur in CARAGA.

According to the palace official, the rest of the country shall be placed under Modified General Community Quarantine on the aforementioned dates.

“On another matter, the President approved the extension of travel restrictions imposed upon India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Nepal, United Arab Emirates, and Oman starting June 16 to June 30, 2021,” Roque said.

 

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.