Nebrija further said that while there is still no court order, the MMDA will still push through with its preparations and their plans for the bus terminal closure, which the agency targets to implement in June.
“We’ll wait kung go or no go but we are still preparing, we’re still pushing with the plan. In the absence of a court order, we will push through with it,” he added.
The MMDA official believes that the impending implementation of the provincial bus ban on Edsa remains as one of the best alternatives to decongest Metro Manila roads.
Nebrija, however, said that they still haven’t come up with a timeline from preparations to implementation as they are still yet to receive the policy guidelines from the Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board (LTFRB).
The MMDA had implemented a dry run of the bus ban in April but suspended it in less than a month.
The Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) believes that the full implementation of the provincial bus ban along EDSA is a big help in easing the traffic in Metro Manila.
MMDA data shows around 6,500 buses pass thru the yellow lane along EDSA; 3,500 of which are provincial buses.
MMDA General Manager Jojo Garcia admitted at Thursday’s Senate inquiry that the past dry run on provincial bus ban was a failure.
The yellow lane and failed dry run of provincial bus ban are now being blamed for the worsening traffic, particularly that of last week’s traffic situation.
To which Garcia took on the defense, saying: “Na-highlight lang ng media kasi nga palpak yung dry run, so sabi nga namin, palpak ang dry run dahil walang nakisali, siguro out of 100 operators, five lang (the dry run failed and media highlighted it. The dry run failed because no one cooperated. Let’s say, out of 100, only 5 joined [the dry run]).”
Garcia also denied allegations that they were experimenting with EDSA’s traffic situation, saying they were just implementing what was then the practice of the past administration.
Senate Committee on Public Services Chair, Senator Grace Poe, said there was lack of consultation on the MMDA’s part.
Poe said, “Imbes na i-ban ninyo agad, bakit hindi kayo kumuha ng mga inter modal terminals within strategic areas dun sa may EDSA kung tatanggalin ninyo ang 43 or 45 provincial terminals along EDSA [Instead of immediate banning, why didn’t you come up with inter-modal terminals within strategic areas on EDSA if you are going to remove 43 to 45 provincial terminals along EDSA]?”
Senate President Vicente Sotto III also proposed the implementation of an extensive No Parking Zone in Metro Manila.
“Ang talagang solusyon [The real solution} to decongest EDSA is no parking in Metro Manila,” Sotto said.
Sotto also hinted at transferring the government agencies outside of Metro Manila.
Meanwhile, the MMDA will wait for the result of the motion for reconsideration they filed regarding the Quezon City Regional Trial Court’s decision that suspends the provincial bus ban.
For now, MMDA said they will strictly implement the clearing operations in the alternate routes in Metro Manila. (with reports from Nel Maribojoc) /mbmf
Since Friday last week, the traffic situation along EDSA has gone from bad to worse.
Commuters and motorists alike are blaming the Metropolitan Manila Development Authorities (MMDA) for its strict implementation of the yellow lane policy.
The MMDA, however, countered that the agency is only clearing out the lanes from undisciplined bus drivers who would haphazardly stop along EDSA to take in passengers.
MMDA said this practice would cause congestion as what happened last Monday (August 5).
Despite the measure taken by the MMDA, it earned criticism on social media, branding the agency as anti-commuter.
MMDA traffic czar Col. Edison “Bong” Nebrija said yellow lanes on EDSA would never be congested if only motorists will learn how to give way to each other.
The MMDA pointed out that the lack of discipline of motorists, particularly city bus drivers, causes traffic congestion along Metro Manila’s major thoroughfare.
“Discipline. Kapag tinanong mo yung bus (driver), alam mo ba yung tama? Lisensyado ka ba? Alam mo yung tama? Oo, Sir. Alam mo yung mali” Yes, Sir. Alam mong mali yung ginagawa mo? Opo. Eh bakit mo ginagawa? Traffic, Sir, eh [When you ask the bus (driver), do you know what’s right? Do you have a license? Do you know what’s right? Yes, Sir. Do you know what’s wrong? Yes, Sir. Do you know that what you’re doing is wrong? Yes. So why do you still do it? Because it’s traffic, Sir],” Nebrija cited. (with details from Joan Nano) /mbmf
The Office of the President has distanced itself from the Supreme Court (SC) decision that lifted the temporary restraining order (TRO) on the hearing of the case against former president Benigno Aquino III on the Mamasapano encounter.
Presidential spokesperson Salvador Panelo has refused to further comment on the issue as the palace would not want to be accused of meddling with the decision of the judiciary which is a co-equal branch of government.
“[W]e refuse to comment on the action undertaken by the Supreme Court, which belongs to a separate and independent branch of government from ours. We cannot and we do not intend to interfere with the functions of other branches which are distinct from the Executive,” Panelo said.
The palace, he added, would rather see the judicial process roll on its own accord.
“We will, as usual, let the law take its course,” Panelo said. (with details from Rosalie Coz) /mbmf
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.