FILE PHOTO: U.S. Air Force F-16 Fighting Falcon fighter aircraft, assigned to the 36th Fighter Squadron, deploy during Exercise Vigilant Ace 18 at Osan Air Base, South Korea, December 3, 2017. U.S. Air Force/Staff Sgt. Franklin R. Ramos/Handout via REUTERS
Security remained high at the Panmunjom Truce Village on Wednesday as South Korea and the United States planned to announce joint military drill schedule.
South Korea’s defense minister said on Tuesday that the South and US will announce plans before April for joint military drills that had been postponed until after the Pyeongchang Winter Olympics and Paralympics.
After the postponement of the regular drills, North Korea agreed to hold the first official talks with Seoul in more than two years, easing a standoff over the North’s development of nuclear weapons capable of hitting the United States.
The South Korean and U.S. militaries usually hold their key resolve and foal eagle exercises in March and April, which can involve as many as 17,000 U.S. troops and over 300,000 South Koreans.
“I know that North Korea has long opposed these defensive exercises that have been practiced in the South. But I hope that discussions and dialogues can continue, even though, even though we will maintain our security posture here,” said UN Nations Command Military Armistice Commission (UNCMAC) Lt. Commander Daniel McShane. — Reuters
by UNTV News | Posted on Friday, February 9th, 2018
MANILA, Philippines – President Rodrigo Duterte is unshaken by the threat of Communist Party of the Philippines founding chair, Jose Maria Sison that New People’s Army (NPA) rebels can kill one soldier every day.
In his meeting over snacks with 215 former NPA rebels in Malacañang on Wednesday night, the President said he would have five NPA rebels killed for every soldier slain.
Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said Sison should not belittle what the government can do against the communist rebels.
“I think the message is: you don’t threaten us, Joma Sison. We are the state, if we haven’t eradicated you, it’s because we opted not to eradicate you as Filipinos. But if you want war, we are ready to go to war,” said Roque.
Meanwhile, President Duterte wants the 48 former female rebels to tour Hong Kong and China and be exposed to capitalism.
He will bring them with him on his next visit in China where he will discuss with the Chinese government the Philippines’ concerns about the Philippine Rise.
Meanwhile, 683 former NPA rebels from various parts of Eastern Mindanao have returned to the fold of the law and the first batch of them has toured Rizal Park, Intramuros and Malacañang.
President Duterte promised them security, shelter, jobs and education for their children. – Rosalie Coz | UNTV News & Rescue
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.