Emergency Hotlines: LANDLINE (+63) 2 911 – 8688

Minority senators to insist power as impeachment court over Sereno’s case

by UNTV News   |   Posted on Tuesday, May 15th, 2018

 

Atty. Maria Lourdes Sereno a day before the Supreme Court granted the quo warranto petition that ousted her as chief justice.

 

PASAY CITY, Philippines —  Members of the minority in Senate are finalizing their move in order to proceed with the impeachment of ousted Chief Justice Maria Lourdes Sereno.

This was amid massive criticisms against the Supreme Court for favoring the quo warranto petition filed by the Solicitor General against Sereno.

“Mayroon kaming initiative and balita ko may iba pang initiative outside the minority,” said minority senator Risa Hontiveros.

Senate President Koko Pimentel, meanwhile, said that although he opposes the SC ruling, he explained that the Senate could only act as an impeachment court if the Lower House would forward the copy of the articles of impeachment to them.

But up until now, the Senate has no information yet as to the next move of the congressmen.

“Tanungin nyo na lang ang House of Representatives ano ang balak. Ang Senado ready kapag may na i-file sa amin. We will constitute ourselves as an impeachment court,” Pimentel said.

Still, Pimentel maintained that it is only through impeachment that an impeachable officer like Sereno shall be removed. — Joan Nano | UNTV News & Rescue

Tags: , ,

Carpio stands firm on West PH Sea rights despite possible impact on CJ nomination

by UNTV News   |   Posted on Wednesday, October 17th, 2018

Senior Associate Justice Antonio Carpio

Nothing will stop Supreme Court Associate Justice Antonio Carpio from advocating a tougher stance in claiming Philippine’s sovereign rights to the West Philippine Sea — not even its potential impact on his nomination for chief justice of the Supreme Court (SC).

The possibility of his chances being affected due to his position on the issue is not lost on Justice Carpio, knowing that president Rodrigo Duterte, who holds the power to appoint the next chief justice, is friendly with China.

“It’s the prerogative of the president to appoint whoever he wants and I respect that. But that doesn’t stop me from continuing my advocacy because I think this is more important than anything else,” Carpio said.

Carpio made the statement during his lecture on the West Philippine Sea at the gathering of the Kapisanan ng mga Brodkaster ng Pilipinas in Makati, Tuesday night.

Last week, Carpio decided to accept his automatic nomination to the chief justice post, noting that the circumstances are different this time as there are no longer any legal issues involved unlike during the ouster bid against former Chief Justice Ma. Lourdes Sereno.

“Because in Sereno, my opinion stated that she could not be removed by quo warranto but she was removed. Now, I do not want to benefit from a ruling that I disagreed on. But now this is an expiration of term. De Castro’s term as CJ expired. There’s no legal issue anymore. That’s why I said there is no reason anymore to decline,” Carpio explained.

Other SC justices who accepted their automatic nominations are Associate Justices Lucas Bersamin, Estella Perlas-Bernabe and Andres Reyes Jr.

Justice Antonio Carpio is currently the acting chief justice after Chief Justice Teresita de Castro retired on October 10 upon reaching the mandatory retirement age of 70.

The Judicial and Bar Council of the Philippines (JBC) extended the deadline for the submission of applications and nominations until October 26.

If he is selected for the post, Carpio will have until October 2019 to lead the Supreme Court. — Mai Bermudez

Tags: , ,

Duterte eyes Chinese businessman for NFA Admin post; no pick for CJ yet

by UNTV News   |   Posted on Wednesday, October 10th, 2018

President Rodrigo Duterte during a press briefing in Malacañang on Tuesday, October 9, 2018 | RTVM

 

MANILA, Philippines – President Rodrigo Duterte is yet to pick a new Chief Justice of the Supreme Court (SC) following the retirement of Judge Teresita de Castro.

“Ang next chief justice? I’m still toying with so many names. Ang bagong… If there’s any vacancy there — I don’t know if there’s a vacant one there. Kung may vacancy, we’ll fill it up with good men and there are few good men in this planet. We’ll have to search them far and wide,” he said during a press briefing in Malacañang on Tuesday (October 9).

The Judicial Bar Council (JBC) has started accepting applications for the position.

Meanwhile, President Duterte hinted of a person he is eyeing for the position of administrator of the National Food Authority (NFA).

“Ngayon, ang NFA, I’m looking for somebody else. I’m looking for a Chinese who’s been there in the business maybe 20 years. I’ll just ask him to, in the meantime, to be the NFA. Alam man nila ang negosyo na ‘yan,” the President said. – Marje Pelayo (with reports from Rosalie Coz)

Tags: , ,

CJ De Castro marks last SC flag raising ceremony with big send-off

by UNTV News   |   Posted on Monday, October 8th, 2018

MANILA, Philippines — Supreme Court employees paid tribute to Chief Justice Teresita Leonardo-De Castro as she attended her last flag raising ceremony on Monday, October 08.

De Castro will be retiring on Wednesday, October 10 when she reaches the mandatory retirement age of 70 .

A marching band trumpeted the arrival of De Castro as she was welcomed by SC employees and her fellow magistrates who were all dressed in blue.

A huge banner was hung bearing a message of gratitude to the 24th chief justice of the Supreme Court.

In her speech, De Castro touted the reforms she has made in the SC such as the salary increase and overtime pay of stenographers and other SC employees.

“I will miss all of you. I will miss everyone with whom I worked in the course of my 10 years and 8 months here,” De Castro said.

“With this I say goodbye to all of you. You have given me many memories to live by the rest of my life. Thank you.” — Mai Bermudez

Tags: ,