Military encounters with ASG in Sulu leave 15 dead, 24 injured

Marje Pelayo   •   November 19, 2018   •   3929

SULU, Philippines – The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) admits that terrorism remains a threat.

This is the reason why the military is not stopping at finding ways to solve the problem especially in Sulu, which until now remains a stronghold of the bandits the Abu Sayyaf Group (ASG).

“Noong last briefing namin sa Maynila ang talagang inaano ko doon na Sulu talaga ang medyo ang isa sa malaking problema natin. We are gaining headway in Tawi-Tawi also in Basilan but still as I’m saying dahil nga ang Sulu ay isa sa mga far flung island natin. Iyon ang isa sa mga challenges natin na sinabi naming sa WestMinCom (na) we have to solve,” said AFP Chief of Staff General Carlito Galvez Jr.

On Sunday, Galvez visited the soldiers who are members of the Joint Task Force in Camp General Navarro Hospital in Zamboanga City who were injured in two separate encounters on Friday and Saturday.

They were accorded with the Wounded Soldier’s Medal and cash assistance.

Based on the military’s latest count of casualties, there were 5 soldiers killed in action and 24 wounded in action in the encounters.

Meanwhile, ten people were killed on the part of the rebels.

“Ibig sabihin malapitan. Kapag malapitan ang firefight so ang laki talaga ng probability ng casualty. Nakita naman natin lumaban ang ating mga sundalo,” said Galvez.

The AFP assures that their intensified operations will continue in order to rescue the remaining six hostages of the ASG.

Four of them are Filipinos and two foreigners including a Dutch and Vietnamese national. – Marje Pelayo (with reports from Dante Amento)

6 Abu Sayyaf members nabbed in separate NBI operations

Maris Federez   •   June 11, 2019

The National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) presented to the media on Tuesday (June 11) six alleged members of the Abu Sayyaf Group (ASG) who were arrested in separate operations last month.

The NBI said that the six were arrested in Taguig City, Balanga City in Bataan, and Zamboanga City on May 16 and 20.

NBI spokesperson Ferdinand Lavin said, “the six arrested were involved in various terrorist activities, ranging from ambush, kidnap for ransom, bombing in Southern Philippines, and recruitment of other members.”

He added that the arrest stemmed from the intelligence reports that they gathered and have led them to the whereabouts of Azmier Maalum in Taguig City.

The joint operations of the NBI, the Philippine Navy (PN) and the Philippine National Police (PNP) had led to the arrest of Maalum, along with Amar Assan, Musa Tahil Sampang, Jamil Ibrahim, Yong Aming, and Majuk Tahil Amil.

Maalum has several warrants of arrest for eight counts of kidnapping and serious illegal detention of Golden Harvest plantation workers in Basilan in 2001, while Sampang was involved in several bombing incidents also in Basilan.

The NBI said the six had been recruiting members in Metro Manila. (with reports from April Cenedoza) /mbmf

AFP to prove CPP front orgs receive EU, Belgium funding

Maris Federez   •   March 13, 2019

The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) is set to prove that several groups that benefit from the financial assistance being doled-out by the European Union and Belgium are front organizations of the Communist Party of the Philippines (CPP).

AFP Deputy Chief of Staff for Civil Military Operations Brigadier, General Antonio Parlade, said they are now collating the evidence that will prove their allegations.

Parlade said this will help Belgium and the member countries of the EU in screening and selecting the organizations that are most deserving of their financial assistance.

“They wanted us to provide more evidence and then to file the formal complaint. That’s what we are doing now, we are consolidating all our evidence para submit sa [to submit to the] European Union,” Parlade added.

In Mindanao alone, around 30 groups have been receiving donations from the EU.

One of them is the Rural Missionaries of the Philippines (RMP) which, reportedly, had already received 622,000 euros from the EU, and is set to further receive 1.3 million euros more from the said organization for their future projects.

This is aside from the funding they receive from the Belgian parliament.

The AFP official also mentioned Ibon and Karapatan as legal front liners of the CCP that are bent on discrediting the Duterte Administration to the international community.

Parlade hopes that once they release the names of these groups, the international funding communities would stop providing them with financial assistance.

This is why Parlade and his delegation also seized the opportunity to talk to the EU, the Belgian Foreign Ministry and the United Nations when they went to Europe recently.

“It’s all about money. I think this is really a big scam that we have to uncover. So bottom line, magaling po silang mag-fabricate [they are good at fabricating]. And these materials, these literatures are well-funded by these organizations—by these governments in Europe, including the EU at kinakailangan pong malaman nila ito [and they have to know about this],” Parlade said.

Ibon, Karapatan and RMP are yet to issue their reactions regarding this.

Karapatan and RMP, however, have already filed complaints before the Commission on Human Rights against the government for linking them with the CPP-NPA and for tagging them as rebels and part of terrorist groups. – Maris Federez (with reports from Rosalie Coz)

Twin blasts in Jolo, Sulu linked to Abu Sayyaf Group

Marje Pelayo   •   January 28, 2019

|Photo courtesy of AFP WestMinCom

ZAMBOANGA CITY, Philippines – The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) suspected possible links of the terrorist Abu Sayyaf Group (ASG) to the deadly twin explosions in Jolo, Sulu on Sunday morning (January 27).

Colonel Gerry Besana of the AFP Western Mindanao Command (WESTMINCOM) said that the group Ajang-Ajang, an ASG-affiliated armed group known for abduction and sowing terror in the area, has been identified as the perpetrators of the blast.

The military positively identified the group through a CCTV  footage recovered from the crime scene which showed some members of Ajang-Ajang entered the Mt. Carmel Cathedral and rushed outside before the two explosions happened.

“Iyan ang mga Abu Sayyaf na nandudoon sa city pagala-gala lang doon at sila ang mga itinuturo palagi na gumagawa ng atrocities laban sa ating mga kasundaluhan. At the same time gumagawa din ng mga kalokohan at panggugulo dyan sa bayan ng Jolo,” confirmed Besana, AFP Westmincom’s spokesperson.

“Ngayon ang kagandahan dito may lead na tayo at alam natin sino ang perpetrators ng pagpapasabog na ito,” he added.

The AFP-PNP joint investigation on the incident is now ongoing particularly the assessment of the signature prints on the recovered parts of the improvised explosive devices (IED) used by the suspects.

Meanwhile, former Sulu Governor Abdusakur Tan believes the attacks had something to do with the recently concluded plebiscite for the ratification of the Bangsamoro Organic Law (BOL).

Tan suspects the incident was plotted by BOL supporters after they (Tan) voted ‘no’ for the BOL.

“They want to undermine our leadership in the province after the plebiscite, but we will never give in we won’t give in we will fight back and we are ready to fight,” Tan said. – Marje Pelayo (with reports from Dante Amento)

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

(+632) 8920.8336 (Fax)

info@untvweb.com (General inquiries)

support@untvweb.com

UNTV News and Rescue Emergency Hotlines:

LANDLINE (+632) 8396-8688

ADVERTISE WITH US

(+632) 8 442.6244 Loc. 143, 144, 162, 164

advertising@untvweb.com

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.