MIAA, CAAP to defer airline charges amid COVID-19 threat

Aileen Cerrudo   •   March 9, 2020   •   883

The Manila International Airport Authority (MIAA) and the Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines (CAAP) will defer airline charges amid the COVID-19 threat.

The CAAP and MIAA had been instructed by the Department of Transportation (DOTr) to defer payment for take-off, landing, and parking fees of local airlines.

This is amid the impact of the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) in the airline industry.

In a statement on Facebook, DOTr Secretary Arthur Tugade said the government needs to extend its arms due to the COVID-19 threat.

Both MIAA and CAAP have stressed that the decision was made to extend help to airlines amid the decrease of airline passengers, and flights due to COVID-19.

MIAA General Manager Ed Monreal said local airlines operating under CAAP will save P37-million a month in terms of deferred take-off, landing, and parking fees.

“The airlines will pay the deferred charges once the COVID-19 threat in the country is lifted,” according to the DOTr statement.—AAC

Bicol region airports hit by Typhoon Rolly undergoing repairs — DOTr

Aileen Cerrudo   •   November 6, 2020

Airports operated by the Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines (CAAP) in the Bicol region are undergoing repairs after being hit by Typhoon Rolly, according to the Department of Transportation (DOTr).

Cynthia Tumanut, area manager of CAAP Area Center 5, reported that communication lines at airports operated by the CAAP in the Bicol region have been restored.

Based on the agency’s situational report, Virac Airport’s electric power and mobile and internet signal has also been restored on Tuesday (November 3) and is now operating from 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. The airport is catering to military and humanitarian flights from both the public and private sectors.

The Catanduanes province, meanwhile, has requested for a 2-week suspension of Cebu Pacific flights to Virac while the province recuperates from the typhoon’s onslaught.

CAAP airports that were critically damaged, especially in Area 5, are also undergoing assessment and processing of reports for GSIS insurance claims. AAC

Typhoon Rolly damage in Naga Airport pegged at P5.5 million, CAAP says

Robie de Guzman   •   November 2, 2020

MANILA, Philippines – Several airports in the Bicol region have sustained damage due to the onslaught of Typhoon Rolly, the Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines (CAAP) said Monday.

In its latest report, CAAP said Naga Airport’s passenger terminal building, fire station building, administration building, and vehicular parking area sustained serious damage estimated at P5.5 million.

“The damage was mostly in the form of dismantled ceilings and blown away roofing and window panels caused by the strong winds of Typhoon Rolly,” CAAP said.

Flights in the airport have commenced at 7:45 a.m. Monday after it was suspended on Saturday, Oct. 31 at 12:35 p.m.

Legazpi Airport was also reported to have sustained minimal damage in its ceiling boards and runway lights in the passenger terminal building, according to CAAP.

Bicol International Airport also reported damage to glass wall panels at the second floor of its passenger terminal building; Sangley Airport with damage at glass windows in the hangar and two spans of old CHB fence collapsed at general aviation area; and Marinduque Airport where breakwaters at Runway 16 Runway End Safety Area (RESA) collapsed due to storm surges.

“As early as Friday, October 30, Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines (CAAP) Airports have secured its powerplant and runway equipment, boarded its facilities, coordinated with the local DRRMC offices, and has activated its procedures for typhoon disaster response as per instructions from DOTr Secretary Arthur Tugade,” CAAP said.

“At present, CAAP airport managers are still on high alert and are closely monitoring and conducting inspections at their respective airports,” it added.

MIAA limits NAIA arrivals anew after PRC stops COVID-19 swab testing

Marje Pelayo   •   October 22, 2020

MANILA, Philippines – The Manila International Airport Authority (MIAA) has once again cut down the number of arrivals at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) as a consequence of the Philippine Red Cross’ decision to stop its swab testing service to returning overseas Filipino workers (OFWs).

Thousands of repatriated OFWs remain in quarantine facilities in Metro Manila, desperately waiting for the results of their swab tests.

One of them is Harlene Gariando who used to work as a household worker in Singapore but after a conflict with her employer, she decided to return home on October 18.

It has been four days since she arrived but until today, she is not certain as to when she will be able to get her swab test result.

Madali na po sana ang resulta para kami pong mga naghihintay dito ay makauwi na rin sa aming mga mahal sa buhay [We hope the result would come out soon so we could go home to our families],” she said.

Sana malaman po kaagad ng maaga kasi para hindi rin po nagaalala yung mga mahal namin sa buhay rin po [The results should be made available soon so our families will not worry],” she added.

MIAA General Manager Eddie Monreal said they have to minimize the number of arrivals once again to make sure that the government’s One-Stop-Shop will be able to accommodate all returning OFWs.

“Ang challenge po ay nasa One Stop Shop being manned by Coast Guard and pagdating nung mga kababayan natin limitado po ang kapasidad ngayon sa pagte-test [The challenge now is with the One-Stop-Shop being manned by the Coast Guard because the swab testing at present is limited as compared to the arriving OFWs],” Monreal said.

“As far as the airport is concern, kami po sa paliparan wala po kaming nakikitang problema except for those reduction po na maapektuhan ang pagparating ng ating mga kababayan [As far as the airport is concerned, we don’t have any problem except for the arriving OFWs who will be affected by the reduction of flights],” he added.

The Philippine Coast Guard (PCG), meanwhile, is trying to replicate the process of the PRC when it comes to swab testing, one is to allow online registration prior to the OFWs return flight.

Kasi iyong E-CIF di ba bago pa pumunta dito sa Pilipinas, three days before nirerequire na natin noon in coordination with the Red Cross na magpirma na nung CIF [The process with E-CIF, three days before they arrive in the Philippines they are required to sign a CIF with Red Cross],” explained Commodore Armand Balilo, PCG’s Spokesperson.

Para pagdating dito dere-derecho ang pila. Pupunta lang sa counter ng Coast Guard tapos isa-swab [So when they arrive, they just fall in line. They just go straight to the Coast Guard’s counter and there they will be swabbed],” he added.

At present, the PCG has partnered with 12 government hospitals to where the specimens of OFW are forwarded.

The agency also employed more IT personnel to speed up the encoding of data. 

PCG explained that OFWs may request to speed up the processing of their swab tests. They may either pay P3,5000 to the PRC or they may prefer to have their swab test taken in private hospitals but they have to pay as much as P10,000 for it.

The PCG is hoping that the PRC will resume its service the soonest especially with the expected surge of returning OFWs by the end of the year. MNP (with reports from Joan Nano)

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.