Emergency Hotlines: LANDLINE (+63) 2 911 – 8688

Metro Cebu also hit by water crisis

by UNTV News   |   Posted on Saturday, March 16th, 2019

Water supply shortage is not only being experienced in Metro Manila and Rizal, but also in Metro Cebu.

Metropolitan Cebu Water District (MCWD) Spokesperson Charmaine Rodriguez-Kara said, “The supply shortage is caused by the lowering of the water table and pollution of sources due to septic waste and long-term use of fertilizers.”

Kara revealed that even without El Niño, the MCWD is only serving 43% of the Metro Cebu’s requirements due to the insufficient supply and fast increasing demand.

The Jaclupan and Buhisan dams, have been supplying water for the MCWD customers in Compostela and Talisay areas.

Currently, the water production of Jaclupan has been reduced from 33,000 cu. m. to 23,400 cu.m per day, while Buhisan has decreased from 5,000 cu.m. to 1,000 cu.m. per day, which resulted in a total deficit of 13,600 cu.m. per day.

Among the areas affected by the lowering of Buhisan Dam water level, include, elevated parts of Banawam Horseshoe Drive, Capitol Site, Oppra, Ipil-ipil, Camputhaw, Clavano, Sambag 1, Sambag 2, F. Ramos B. Rodriguez, Juana Osmeña, Pier Area, North Reclamation Area, MJ Cuenco Ave., M. Velez

Meanwhile, Jaclupan facility’s reduced production has affected the elevated areas of Talisay City, and downtown Cebu City.

MCWD has 450,000 cu.m. water demand per day from its customers, but it is now only capable of supplying 228,000 cu.m. daily.

This prompted the said water concessionaire to implement rotational water interruption. It also came up with a plan of building up an additional 4 wells as its short-term solution. Its management is also planning to have a major dam project as its long-term response to the problem.

The MCWD expects the shortage to continue until June this year. — Freema Salonga-Gloria

Tags: , ,

LIST: Manila Water identifies 20 areas to be given April full-bill waiver

by Robie de Guzman   |   Posted on Thursday, April 4th, 2019

MANILA, Philippines – Manila Water Services Company has identified 10 more areas that have been validated as severely affected by the water supply shortage that hit the eastern zone of Metro Manila and parts of Rizal province in March.

On Monday (April 1), Manila Water released a partial list of areas that will be given a one-time full-bill waiver for their March consumption, to be reflected on their April bill.

READ: Manila Water releases list of areas to be given full bill waiver

The 20 barangays validated as severely affected by the metro water crisis are as follows:

MANDALUYONG

  • Barangay Addition Hills
  • Barangay Barangka Drive
  • Barangay Plainview
  • Barangay Highway Hills
  • Barangay Hulo
  • Barangay Barangka Ilaya
  • Barangay Barangka Itaas
  • Barangay Mauway
  • Barangay Pleasant Hills

PASIG

  • Barangay Kapitolyo
  • Barangay Bagong Ilog
  • Barangay Oranbo
  • Barangay Pineda
  • Barangay Ugong

TAGUIG

  • Barangay Upper Bicutan

SAN JUAN

  • Barangay Addition Hills
  • Barangay Santa Lucia

BINANGONAN, RIZAL

  • Barangay Mambog
  • Barangay Macamot
  • Barangay Tatala

Manila Water also clarified that a total of 45 barangays were severely affected by the water shortage.

However, not all consumers will get a full-bill waiver as Manila Water will only waive the minimum charge or the first 10 cubic meters consumed in a month in some households that experienced only a few hours of service interruption and were supplied with water from other reservoirs.

The utility company earlier said the April bill will be fully waived if residents experienced total water service outage for at least seven days, whether consecutive or not from March 6 to 31.

Around 1.2 million households in eastern Metro Manila and Rizal province were hit with low pressure to no water supply last month.

Meanwhile, both Manila Water and Maynilad are open to reviewing their concession agreement with the government following President Rodrigo Duterte’s order to review all contracts entered into by the government.

READ: Duterte orders review of all gov’t deals

Manila Water said it is ready to talk with the government to find ways to ensure sustainable water security solution.

Maynilad, for its part, said it welcomes any review of the company’s obligations under the agreement as practiced by the Metropolitan Waterworks and Sewerage System (MWSS).

“Maynilad has always believed in the sanctity of the concession agreement and the merits of this public-private partnership as seen in the vast improvement in the service levels enjoyed by our customers since we took over,” the company said in a statement.

“We welcome any review of our obligations under this agreement as has been undertaken by our regulator since the start of the concession,” it added. – Robie de Guzman

Tags: , , , ,

Cebu City bus drivers, conductors to receive monthly salary

by Aileen Cerrudo   |   Posted on Wednesday, April 3rd, 2019

The Regional Tripartite Wages and Productivity Board Region-7 (NTWPB) has ordered bus operators in Cebu City to provide their drivers and conductors a fixed monthly salary plus other benefits including overtime pay, night differential and other incentives.

NTWBP Region-7 secretary Grace Carreon said that the directive aims to avoid the “boundary system” which often leads to accidents as drivers are forced to work long hours.

“DOLE Department Order 118-12 was issued because of safety considerations that’s why we will give premium to the safety measure,” she added.

Under the boundary system the driver pays the vehicle’s owner/operator a fixed amount commonly called “boundary”, for the use of the unit. Whatever he earns in excess of that amount constitutes as his income.

Chris dela Calzada has been a bus driver for 18 years. He often works overtime but never earns enough to provide for his family.

“Minsan malaki ang kinikita, minsan wala, minsan wala kaming naiuuwi sa amin kasi depende sa dami ng pasahero, (Sometimes the pay is enough but other times we take home nothing. It depends on the number of passengers)” he said. Dela Calzada is looking forward to the implementation of the directive for the assurance of a monthly income.

Bus operators who cannot provide minimum wage and benefits to bus drivers and conductors can no longer renew their franchises.—Aileen Cerrudo (with reports from Ryan Mallari)

Tags: , , , ,

Duterte admin mulls over creation of Department of Water

by Aileen Cerrudo   |   Posted on Tuesday, April 2nd, 2019

The Duterte Administration is studying the creation of the Department of Water to mitigate the severe effects of El Niño and water shortage.

According to Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo, President Rodrigo Duterte and his Cabinet members discussed the possibility of forming a Department of Water during the 36th Cabinet meeting in Malacañang on Monday night (April 1).

READ: El Niño damage to PH agriculture P4.35B

“A roadmap was presented, which included immediate, medium and long-term interventions, such as making an intensive campaign for the conservation of water and energy,” Panelo said.

Also discussed during the meeting, according to Panelo, is the formation of the Department of Disaster Resilience, dredging of waterways, replacing tunnels and aqueducts, installing water tank systems in all Department of Health hospitals and providing funding for the establishment of water treatment plants.

He said this will synchronize the actions of all government agencies and prevent the water interruption from happening again.—Aileen Cerrudo with reports from Rosalie Coz)

Tags: ,