Mayor Sotto suspends Landers branch for breach of social distancing rules

Marje Pelayo   •   July 22, 2020   •   592

MANILA, Philippines — The local government of Pasig City has suspended a branch of membership supermarket Landers in Barangay Ugong for failing to observe physical distancing.

In his post on Twitter, Mayor Vico Sotto explained that they usually do not announce business names that violate the policy in consideration of their reputation.

But in the case of Landers, the Mayor opted to reveal the name for the safety of the shoppers given the supermarket’s large number of members.

According to Sotto, only the grocery is temporarily closed but the restaurant, barbershop, plant shop, pharmacy, and parking space remain open for business.

Sotto said the management of the supermarket already expressed compliance with the policy.

“We encourage them to use the next few days to improve their health/safety protocols,” Mayor Sotto concluded.

Pasig City to open temporary holding area for COVID-19 patients

Robie de Guzman   •   April 8, 2021

The Pasig City government on Thursday said it is setting up a temporary holding facility for moderate cases of novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) amid issues on hospital bed capacity in Metro Manila.

In a series of Twitter posts, Pasig City Mayor Vico Sotto said the temporary holding area will serve as an extension of emergency rooms as these consist of beds with medicines and basic hospital equipment and supplies.

Doctors and nurses will also be on duty to manage patients.

“These are very difficult times… Puno ang mga Ospital. Ang hirap makahanap ng bakante sa ospital, kahit sa mga kalapit nating lungsod/probinsya. Minsan hindi na makahinga ang pasyente, pero higit sa 2, 3 oras naghahanap ng mapagdadalhan ang ambulansya natin,” he said.

Sotto said the facility currently has five beds and more will be added in the coming days.

The temporary holding area will begin operations on Thursday afternoon.

The mayor also expressed gratitude for healthcare workers who continue to lead the fight against COVID-19.

“Salamat, mga healthcare frontliners, dahil hindi kayo sumusuko. Special mention to our Pasig Emergency Unit for stepping up and taking on this new task. Malayo sa ideyal ang mga pangyayari ngayon, pero kakayanin natin ito,” he said.

Pasig City Mayor Vico Sotto tests negative for COVID-19

Aileen Cerrudo   •   March 15, 2021

Pasig City Mayor Vico Sotto has tested negative for the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) and is currently under quarantine after his driver, who had tested positive passed away last week.

Sotto made the announcement on his Twitter on Monday afternoon (March 15), adding that several of his colleagues in close contact with his driver also tested negative.

During a public address on Monday morning, the Pasig City Mayor said he is abiding by the protocols as a close contact. He canceled appointments, meetings and would prefer to continue his work online.

Bilang ako po ay naging isang close contact, strictly susunod po tayo sa mga protocols natin, hindi muna ako makakapasok sa trabaho at kina-cancel ko muna ang mga appointment o meeting. Kung maari ay via Zoom na lang, via Viber, via text at phone call na lang po muna ako magta-trabaho (We are following protocols since I am a close contact. I will not go to the office and will cancel all appointments and meetings. If possible, I will continue work via Zoom, Viber, text or phone call),” he said.

He also expressed his gratitude to those who sent their support and prayers for his good health.

Meanwhile, the Pasig Mayor said the city can no longer risk returning to Enhanced Community Quarantine (ECQ) since it would heavily affect residents. He then advised his constituents to follow an ECQ lifestyle instead to prevent the spread of infection in the city.

Mag-voluntary ECQ tayo hanggat kaya. Pero iyon nga hindi na natin talaga kayang bumalik sa ECQ talaga. Kawawa ang mga tao. Hindi nga magkaka-COVID mamamatay naman sa gutom. Ang mga nanawagan para sa ECQ sila ang nakakain ng tatlong beses sa isang araw kahit hindi magtrabaho(Let us do a voluntary ECQ as much as we can. We cannot afford to go back to ECQ. It would be a pity that although they will not get COVID-19, people will die of hunger. Those who are calling for an ECQ are capable of eating three times a day without having to work),Sotto said.

Based on the recent data of the Pasig City Health Department, COVID-19 active cases in the city have reached 513 from only 300 cases.

The local government assured its centralized quarantine facility can still accommodate COVID-19 patients, although it is nearing its maximum capacity. -AAC (with reports from Joan Nano)

Pasig City reports one victim of stray bullet, seizes P700k worth of firecrackers

Marje Pelayo   •   January 4, 2021

MANILA, Philippines — Mayor Vico Sotto reported on Monday (January 4) that Pasig City was able to confiscate more than P700,000-worth of firecrackers and related items from the New Year’s Eve revelry.

Sotto added that based on their tally, only three individuals sustained firecracker-related injuries, the lowest number so far in the city’s history.

He, however, reported one stray bullet injury.

The Mayor said the Philippine National Police (PNP) believes the that the bullet may have come from somewhere in Pinagbuhatan in Pasig, Taytay or Cainta, based on its trajectory.

The victims are now confined at the Pasig City General Hospital.

In December, Metro Manila mayors agreed to impose a complete firecracker ban in welcoming the New Year.

READ: PNP confirms firecracker ban in NCR, warns violators

Despite the total ban, there are still reports of firecracker-related injuries in several areas of the region.

Given the results, Mayor Sotto suggests that the government should keep a close watch on the supply of firecrackers to minimize, if not to fully end, the risks of firecrackers to the safety and health of the people.

“Sa susunod na Bagong Taon, mas kailangan tutukan ang SUPPLY. Kung gusto talaga natin na walang firecrackers nationwide o kahit metro manila, kailangan wala ring mabibili ang mga tao. Maraming nahuli kagabi, pero ang totoo mahirap makipaghabulan,” he said.

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.