Mayor Isko orders immediate probe after Sogo hotel collapse kills 2 in Malate

Marje Pelayo   •   September 24, 2019   •   1301

MANILA, Philippines – Two construction workers died after a portion of Hotel Sogo in Malate collapsed on Monday morning (September 23).

The victims were identified as Melo Ison and Jeremie Fabello who were construction workers under Fabellon Construction.

According to the Manila Public Information Office, the hotel’s Mabini Branch was already under demolition.

According to sidewalk vendor Jesus Gementiza who witnessed the incident, he used to pass by the building which has been abandoned a year ago.

He noticed that the demolition works had been running for almost a month already.

Each floor had scaffolding supporting the structure when it collapsed.

“Nag-a-ayos ako diyan ng paninda ng kape. Nakita ko talaga [ang] posteng iyan, nag-collapse papunta sa gitna,” Gementiza said.

Edson Ison, who is a kin of one of the victims, survived the fall after he jumped from the building when it collapsed.

Edson is now recovering at the Philippine General Hospital.

Manila Mayor Isko Moreno Domagoso immediately ordered an investigation into the incident.

“I will task the City Engineering to find out if there is fault. In the meantime, we don’t want to accuse anybody,” the Mayor said.

Meanwhile, the contractor of the demolition works promised financial aid to the victims.

According to the Hotel Sogo’s Chief Operating Officer Augusto Corpus, the contractor-in-charge vowed to help the victims and is looking into possible lapses or negligence on their end that led to the accident.

UNTV is still reaching for comments from the hotel management and the contractor of the demolition works. – MNP (with details from Harlene Delgado)

Female driver arrested after assaulting traffic enforcer in Manila

Aileen Cerrudo   •   May 27, 2021

MANILA, Philippines — A female driver was arrested by authorities on Thursday (May 27) after assaulting an enforcer of the Manila Traffic and Parking Bureau (MTPB).

The police identified the driver as Pauline Mae Salamero, 26. Salamero was flagged down by traffic enforcers after she violated the traffic signal.

After witnessing the violation traffic enforcers motioned the driver to stop. However, the suspect disregarded the call and continued driving. The traffic enforcers chased the suspect until she was flagged down on Osmeña Highway corner Estrada St., Malate, Manila.

Salamero also refused to provide her driver’s license and other documents. She also refused to follow the officers the Manila Police District MPD Special Mayor’s Reaction Team (MPD-SMaRT).

“When the suspect was instructed by the traffic enforcers to follow them at the impounding area the same refused to follow but instead she alighted from her vehicle and assaulted them,” according to the report.

The suspect was brought to the MPD-SMaRT for proper disposition and investigation. AAC

Police push for closure of illegal swab testing center in Malate, Manila

Marje Pelayo   •   March 23, 2021

MANILA, Philippines — Members of the Manila Police District (MPD) inspected an alleged swab testing center illegally operating on 2317 Singalong Street in Malate, Manila on Tuesday (March 23).

Initial investigation said that the testing center known as Swab Express Ph was operating online for about three weeks now and that the operator or owner is in the process of securing necessary documentary permits for their operation in Manila.

The operator or owner also showed a copy of a Certification from Kairos Molecular Diagnostic Laboratory purporting that the same was legitimate and duly authorized by the Department of Health (DOH).

Authorities, moreover, found out that the center is operating without a business permit.

Recovered in the area were:
a. Various Medical testing kits
b. Photocopy of License to operate
c. Two (2) receipts of online payment

Police are now conducting verification of all documents submitted to DOH.

They have also requested the Manila Bureau of Permits and Licensing Office to order the immediate closure of the laboratory.

Manila gov’t shuts down commercial building for operating without permit

Aileen Cerrudo   •   June 10, 2020

Manila’s Bureau of Permits has shut down a commercial building in Malate, Manila for operating without a business permit since 2004.

The Bureau of Permits served a closure order against a four-storey commercial building in Malate that was operating as a real estate lessor.

Bureau of Permits director Levi Facundo said the closure will affect at least five establishments that were used as office space.

“We are serious in implementing the rules and regulations. Kung masanay sila na kahit okay lang na walang permit (if they got used to operating without permit), it’s wrong,” he said.

He also encouraged the public to apply and process their business permits to avoid any inconvenience. Applicants can email permits@manila.gov.ph to apply for a business permit or call the following hotlines: 8-527-0871 or 5-310-1558.

“They have to make sure na ang negosyo nila ay (that their business is) legally permitted by the city because if not, the business will suffer,” Facundo said. AAC

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.