Emergency Hotlines: LANDLINE (+63) 2 911 – 8688

Maynilad to prioritize NKTI, 4 other hospitals in water delivery

by UNTV News   |   Posted on Thursday, 14 March 2019 07:42 PM

The Department of Health will be implementing stricter guidelines in hospitals that are affected by water shortage.

Health Secretary Francisco Duque III instructed these hospitals to only allow one companion per patient, saying this will, in a way, help in saving water consumption.

“Sana maintindihan ng mga magulang. Kasi kung hahayaan natin na lahat tatlo, apat (ang bantay), eh ubos ang tubig natin [I hope that the parents will understand. If we will let one patient have three or four companions, our stock water will run out],” said Duque.

Meanwhile, Maynilad announced that they will be prioritizing the delivery of water to five hospitals, namely: Rizal Medical Center, National Center for Mental Health, the National Kidney and Transplant Institute (NKTI), the Philippine Children Medical Center, and the Quirino Memorial Medical Center, in which the patients confined there are in delicate condition.

NKTI Executive Director, Dr. Rose Marie Rosete Liquete said that if the water supply in hospitals will go low, dialysis patients will be heavily affected.

She further said that to save on water, they will have to move from peritoneal dialysis to hemodialysis.

“Iyong peritoneal dialyisis, ilagagay sa abdominal cavity ng pasyente and then magwa-wash out iyon to empty ng lahat ng toxins ng body so it doesn;t require water to the machine. Ang kailangan lang doon handwashing [During peritoneal dialysis, a cleansing fluid is circulated inside part of your abdominal cavity. It then washes out and empty the toxins out of your body, so it doesn’t require water to the machine. What you will just need is to wash your hands],” said Liquete.

Dr. Joseph Michael Jaro, the Head of the Auxiliary Operations for the Kidney Institute said, “We may have to suspend and slow down the dialysis. It doesn’t have to shut down everything but we really need to prioritize the critical patients.”

The administration of East Avenue Medical Center and the Lung Center of the Philippines also met with Sec. Duque on Thursday and assured him that their respective hospital operations are still running normal and that they still have enough water supply. — Maris Federez (with reports from Aiko Miguel)

Tags: , , , ,

MWSS assures no repeat of metro-wide water interruption

by UNTV News   |   Posted on Wednesday, 20 March 2019 04:19 PM

President Rodrigo Duterte admonished the Metropolitan Waterworks and Sewerage System, and water concessionaires Manila Water and Maynilad upon meeting with them on Tuesday night (March 19).

The President reportedly didn’t even bother to hear any of their defense on the water shortage.

In a statement, Malacañang said the Chief Executive issued a stern warning of removing MWSS from their posts and terminating the contracts of the two water concessionaires if their services will not improve.

“The Chief Executive bluntly told them to ‘shape up or ship out’!” Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo said.

MWSS Administrator Reynaldo Velasco assured they have already laid out plans to prevent having a repeat of the water interruption in Metro Manila.

“If I cannot do it, I will resign immediately,” Velasco added.

Velasco also admitted that the Chief Executive’s directive issued last week had been a big help for them to immediately resolve the water outage in the east zone of Metro Manila.

The official, meanwhile, denied allegations that the water shortage is just artificial and made-up to justify the construction of the New Centennial Water Source-Kaliwa Dam Project.

Velasco said, “Hindi sila pwedeng magmoro-moro sa amin. Pag moro-moro insult sa aming intelligence.We are on top of the situation. Di pwedeng mag-arte-arte yang mga water concessionaires (They cannot not play us for fools. It will be an insult to our intelligence. We are on top of the situation. These concessionaires should stop acting up).”

Meanwhile, the MWSS expects that the delivery of water supply will go back to normal in Metro Manila come April, except for some barangays in elevated areas.

Still, the MWSS assures these barangays of sufficient water supply.

“That’s not a problem because we have 150 fleets of water tanks,” Velasco added.

Meanwhile, Manila Water Spokesperson Jeric Sevilla said in a statement that they are “focused now on exerting all efforts to bring water service availability back to normal levels at the earliest possible time.” Maris Federez

Tags: , , ,

Duterte tells MWSS, water concessionaires: ‘Shape up or ship out!’

by UNTV News and Rescue   |   Posted on Wednesday, 20 March 2019 10:05 AM

MANILA, Philippines – President Rodrigo Duterte on Tuesday (March 19) scolded the executives of the Metropolitan Waterworks and Sewerage System (MWSS) and the two water concessionaires Manila Water and Maynilad for “not doing their job” that resulted in a metro-wide water shortage.

Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo said the Chief Executive vented out his anger on concerned officials and told them to “shape up or ship out!”

“In a stern message delivered without even once looking at the officials, the obviously outraged President threatened to fire the MWSS officials and terminate the concessionaires’ contracts,” Panelo said.

The meeting, which Panelo described as a ‘presidential monologue’, lasted for 40 minutes.

The President ended his tirade by ordering the officials to submit a report on the water shortage before April 7.

“After which he will decide whether heads will roll or whether the contracts of the concessionaires will be terminated,” Panelo concluded.

For more than a week, residents of Metro Manila and Rizal suffered water shortage prompting the administration to direct water authorities to release 150 days-worth of water from Angat Dam to supply affected areas.

The Upper and Lower Houses of Congress conducted their respective hearings on the matter which called for penalties against Manila Water for violating the concession agreement and the resignation of concerned officials over mismanagement, incompetence and negligence. – Marje Pelayo (with details from Rosalie Coz)

Tags: , , ,

Metro Cebu also hit by water crisis

by UNTV News   |   Posted on Saturday, 16 March 2019 05:09 PM

Water supply shortage is not only being experienced in Metro Manila and Rizal, but also in Metro Cebu.

Metropolitan Cebu Water District (MCWD) Spokesperson Charmaine Rodriguez-Kara said, “The supply shortage is caused by the lowering of the water table and pollution of sources due to septic waste and long-term use of fertilizers.”

Kara revealed that even without El Niño, the MCWD is only serving 43% of the Metro Cebu’s requirements due to the insufficient supply and fast increasing demand.

The Jaclupan and Buhisan dams, have been supplying water for the MCWD customers in Compostela and Talisay areas.

Currently, the water production of Jaclupan has been reduced from 33,000 cu. m. to 23,400 cu.m per day, while Buhisan has decreased from 5,000 cu.m. to 1,000 cu.m. per day, which resulted in a total deficit of 13,600 cu.m. per day.

Among the areas affected by the lowering of Buhisan Dam water level, include, elevated parts of Banawam Horseshoe Drive, Capitol Site, Oppra, Ipil-ipil, Camputhaw, Clavano, Sambag 1, Sambag 2, F. Ramos B. Rodriguez, Juana Osmeña, Pier Area, North Reclamation Area, MJ Cuenco Ave., M. Velez

Meanwhile, Jaclupan facility’s reduced production has affected the elevated areas of Talisay City, and downtown Cebu City.

MCWD has 450,000 cu.m. water demand per day from its customers, but it is now only capable of supplying 228,000 cu.m. daily.

This prompted the said water concessionaire to implement rotational water interruption. It also came up with a plan of building up an additional 4 wells as its short-term solution. Its management is also planning to have a major dam project as its long-term response to the problem.

The MCWD expects the shortage to continue until June this year. — Freema Salonga-Gloria

Tags: , ,