Maynilad penalized over water disruption in Las Piñas City
Robie de Guzman • June 28, 2019 • 1374
MANILA, Philippines – The Metropolitan Waterworks and Sewerage System (MWSS) on Friday slapped west zone concessionaire Maynilad Water Services with a “financial penalty” for service disruption in parts of Las Piñas City.
In an advisory, the MWSS said that its Board of Trustees (BOT) has resolved to penalize Maynilad for its failure to comply with its Service Obligations under the concession agreement.
This is due to its failure to provide 24/7 water services to its customers who were severely affected by the service interruption last May 2019 in portions of Barangay Captain Albert Aguilar in Las Piñas City.
“Based on evidence gathered by the MWSS Regulatory Office (MWSS RO), it was determined that Maynilad customers who were severely affected in the above-mentioned area were deprived of water service with a minimum pressure of seven psi for a period of more than 15 days,” the agency said.
Maynilad has been ordered to rebate P2,500 per household in the severely affected areas, to be applied to succeeding water bills or statements of account until fully expended.
In a statement, Maynilad said it has yet to receive the official notice from the MWSS pertaining to its decision on imposing a penalty.
“We will coordinate with our regulators to determine the rationale behind their decision and how they arrived at their computations,” the company said.
“We will set our next course of action based on this discussion,” it added.
MANILA, Philippines — Department of Justice (DOJ) Undersecretary Emmeline Aglipay-Villar will not be joining the team that will review the contract entered into by the government with Manila Water Company and Maynilad Water Services through state regulator Metropolitan Waterworks and Sewerage System (MWSS) in 1997.
Villar on Friday (December 13) inhibited herself to dispel doubts and suspicions on the review to be conducted and the renegotiation of the government with the two water concessionaires.
DOJ Secretary Menardo Guevarra said he was the one who requested Villar to inhibit from the review although he deemed it unfair that the official is being subjected to allegations of conflict of interest.
“I requested Usec. Villar to inhibit herself to dispel suspicions that the DOJ contract review may not be completely objective due to an alleged possible conflict of interest. It’s unfair to Usec Villar who has always acted with professionality, but the circumstances call for it.,” Guevarra told reporters.
Guevarra reiterated that any lawyer who would look into the contract between the MWSS and the two water concessionaires would come to the same findings and conclusion — that the deal had been onerous for the government and the public.
Villar, a former Diwa Party-list representative and daughter of former national police chief Edgar Aglipay, is the wife of Public Works and Highways Secretary Mark Villar. Villar’s family runs Prime Water Infrastructure Corp. — /mbmf
President Rodrigo Duterte has warned Maynilad and Manila Water that he will order the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) to take over water distribution operations.
“I will order the Armed Forces to operate the water, ‘Sige, sundalo, take over kayo’ (Soldiers, go take over). And I will declare the suspension of the writ of habeas corpus but only against economic sabotage,” he said during the birthday celebration of former Senator Manny Villar on Thursday (December 12).
The Chief Executive has previously threatened the two water concessionaires with “economic sabotage” due to alleged irregular water deals.
In a letter, the two companies revoked their compensation claims prompting the government to pay almost P11 billion, as ordered by an attribution court in Singapore.
They have also offered to revisit the contracts in order to come up with possible amendments.
However, Malacañang said the President is still reviewing the said letter and has yet to decide on his next action on the issue.
In a statement, Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo has advised the two water concessionaires that the President will strive to enforce the law.
“The concessionaires are put on notice that the Chief Executive will not renege from his constitutional duty of enforcing the law. Neither will he be swayed nor enticed into accepting a compromise. Dura lex sed lex,” he said.—AAC (with reports from Rosalie Coz)
MANILA, Philippines – Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra on Thursday denied allegations of conflict of interest in the ongoing review of the water concession deal between the government of Maynilad and Manila Water.
The allegations surfaced following news reports that Justice Undersecretary Emmeline Aglipay-Villar was part of the team that reviewed the water supply agreements.
Aglipay-Villar is the wife of Public Works Secretary Mark Villar, whose family owns the Prime Water Infrastructure Corporation, one of the utility firms that may possibly become a player to replace Maynilad and Manila Water when their contract ends in 2022.
Guevarra said he does not know where these kinds of allegations came from. He also said that he led the review of water deals.
“Siyempre as SOJ, ako ang head ng review team at ginagamit ko diyan, nag-assist ng review, naturally legal staff ng DOJ. Sa office ng state counsel so sila ang nag-review niyan with the Office of the Government Corporate Counsel. So, yung units na yun, nagkataon lang under the supervision ni Usec. Emmeline Villar kasi may mga distribution ng work ng ng mga usecs ng DOJ,” he told reporters in an event in Manila Thursday morning.
Guevarra said the DOJ team found onerous provisions in the contracts signed in 1997 and recommended its removal as well as the crafting of new deal that would be advantageous to the public.
“Believe me when I say that any good lawyer will see the inequitable provisions in the water concession agreements, and the fact the Usec. Emmeline Villar is part of the DOJ review team is totally irrelevant,” he said.
Aglipay-Villar, a former congresswoman, also denied the allegations, adding that the DOJ conducted a disinterested review of the concession agreements. – RRD (with details from Correspondent Asher Cadapan Jr.)
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.