Martial law victims urge conviction of the Marcoses and return of ill-gotten wealth
admin • August 31, 2017 • 5986
MANILA, Philippines — Former Bayan Muna party list representative Neri Colmenares is against the plan of the Marcos family to return a portion of their ill-gotten wealth to the government in exchange for evasion from punishment for crimes against the country.
Colmenares said the wounds of the 1972 martial law will never heal if the victims will not attain justice for the atrocities they suffered under the Marcos regime.
“There is no moving on or reconciliation without accountability and without justice and of course without returning the ill-gotten wealth,” said Colmenares in a phone interview.
For the former lawmaker, the issue of the ill-gotten wealth of the Marcoses centers not only on the stolen amount but also on their liabilities.
The group called Samahan ng Ex-detainees Laban sa Detensyon at Aresto (Selda) also called for punishment for the Marcoses.
“There is still more than 10 billion us dollars. What are being discussed now are just golds and other money,” said Selda national coordinator Danny dela Fuente.
Meanwhile, former Bayan Muna Representative Satur Ocampo said it is never right for the government to accept the Marcoses’ golds as the family’s form of contribution to the Philippines.
“That’s part of the stolen wealth. You confiscate it, not accept it as a donation,” said Ocampo. — Rey Pelayo | UNTV News & Rescue
MANILA, Philippines — The Senate Committee on Justice will conduct an investigation on the Presidential Commission on Good Government (PCGG) on the measures it has taken to sequester the ill-gotten wealth of the Marcos family.
Senate Blue Ribbon Committee chairman Richard Gordon will particularly question the PCGG’s failure to win the case against the Marcoses.
“Kung meron talagang ganung kalaking halaga, papaano nakuha yung perang yan. Yan ang unang tatanungin ko. Papaanong nakalap yan at bakit hindi ninyo maimbestigahan ng maayos para just follow the paper trail,” Gordon said.
On Monday (Dec. 16), the Sandiganbayan junks the 200-Billion forfeiture case against the Marcos family.
This is the fourth time that the PCGG lost its case in the Sandiganbayan. — (with details from Nel Maribojoc) /mbmf
The second division of the Sandiganbayan has dismissed the civil case filed by the Presidential Commission on Good Government (PCGG) against former President Ferdinand Marcos and wife Imelda Marcos for insufficient evidence over P1 billion worth of alleged ill-gotten wealth.
Based on the decision of the anti-graft court, the PCGG failed to present strong evidence against the Marcoses.
“The plaintiff Republic failed to prove by preponderance of evidence that the defendants by themselves, or in conspiracy with defendants Marcoses, obtained ill-gotten wealth,” the decision reads.
“Lastly, the court also finds that the defendants failed to prove their respective counterclaims alluding to alleged damages sustained.”
According to the Malacañang, the PCGG can still submit an appeal in the Supreme Court.
Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo said the Marcoses should still be accountable if there is proof of ill-gotten wealth.
“Kung ill-gotten, we should always run after, basta ill-gotten (If it is ill-gotten we should always run after, as long as it is ill-gotten). It should be the policy of all governments to run after ill-gotten wealth,” he said.
The Sandiganbayan previously dismissed the P102 billion worth of forfeiture case against the Marcoses and other respondents last August.—AAC (with reports from Rosalie Coz)
The Department of Justice (DOJ) has summoned Bayan Muna Chairman Neri Colmenares, members of youth party-list groups over raps filed by the Philippine National Police-Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (PNP-CIDG).
The PNP-CIDG has filed trafficking and child abuse complaints against the said individuals over missing high school student Alicia Lucena.
Complainant Relissa Lucena said her daughter was recruited by Anakbayan.
However, Alicia surfaced on August 14 and has denied claims that she was missing and was kidnapped by Anakbayan. She said she joined Anakbayan voluntarily.
Assistant State Prosecutor Christine Perolino has required Colmenares along with Kabataan Party-list Rep. Sarah Elago, Anakbayan spokesperson Alex Danday and other members of the youth groups to appear during the preliminary investigation of the DOJ on August 27, September 10 and 24. —AAC
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.