Marcos urge PET to maintain 50% vote threshold

admin   •   May 28, 2018   •   3292

former Sen. Ferdinand “Bongbong” Romualdez Marcos Jr.

 

Former Senator Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. on Monday asked the Presidential Electoral Tribunal (PET), to maintain the 50% threshold in validating shaded ballots in the ongoing recount of the 2016 vice presidential polls.

He personally filed before the tribunal, a 13-page comment/opposition to the motion filed by Vice President Leni Robredo seeking the consideration of the 25% threshold.

In the comment he submitted, Marcos refuted the existence of any Comelec resolution that allows the 25% threshold.

He also noted that there is “no categorical declaration in the Comelec Resolution No. 16-0600 that the 25% shading threshold was adopted by the Comelec En Banc in determining the valid votes during the judicial recount and revision of ballots in an election protest.”

“Si Aquino nanalo 50% ang ginamit na shading, Jojo Binay nanalo 50% ang ginamit na shading, Si Duterte 50% shading ang ginamit sa kaniyang pagpanalo. Lahat ng congressman, lahat ng governor, lahat ng vice governor, lahat ng vice mayor, lahat ng konsehal, lahat ng (inaudible) mula nang magsimula ang AES ay nanalo ginamit ang 50% shading,” Marcos said.

(Aquino, Binay and Duterte won using the 50% shading threshold. Since the implementation of the Automated Election System (AES), all congressmen, governors, vice-governors, vice mayors and councilors won using 50% shading.)

He said that Robredo “wants to change the rules and have a special situation only for her.”

It can be recalled that in the vice president’s appeal, she asked the tribunal to “immediately direct the Head Revisors to use the 25-percent threshold percentage used by the Commission on Elections for the 09 May 2016 National and Local Elections in lieu of the 50 percent used in the 10 May 2010 National and Local Elections.”

Meanwhile, Robredo’s lead counsel, Atty. Romulo Macalintal, refuted claims that Comelec set a 50% threshold for the 2016 national and local elections.

He cited the September 6, 2016 Comelec En Banc Resolution that adopted the recommendation of Commissioner Luie Guia to set the threshold to 25%.

Macalintal also said that Marcos’ attempt at “changing the rules of the game” disregards the “voice of the innocent voters whose constitutional right of suffrage would be affected.” — Mai Bermudez | UNTV News & Rescue

Opposition open to alliances; must go beyond anti-Duterte platform in 2022 polls – Drilon

Robie de Guzman   •   June 16, 2021

MANILA, Philippines – Senate Minority Leader Franklin Drilon on Wednesday said the opposition group “must go beyond an anti-Duterte platform” in next year’s elections.

“The opposition must go beyond an anti-Duterte platform. The opposition must present a platform, which says that we can do better in the pandemic response because this is where the errors are committed and this is what we are going to do,” Drilon said in a television interview.

When asked to comment on observations that there is no one strong opposition candidate at this point, the senator said that having one opposition candidate is “desirable” but admits to it being a “very difficult task.”

“… [I]t is desirable to have one opposition candidate. That is what the 1Sambayan is trying to do. That is a very difficult task. They have taken upon themselves that difficult task. We support their effort,” he said.

“We do hope that the opposition can come up with only one candidate. As in any election in the past, the administration would always have the advantage. We must exert every effort to have one candidate to oppose the administration candidate,” he added.

Last week, political coalition 1Sambayan revealed their list of presidential and vice-presidential nominees. The list includes Vice President Leni Robredo, former Senator Antonio Trillanes IV, Batangas Rep. Vilma Santos, Senator Grace Poe, human rights lawyer Chel Diokno, and CIBAC party-list Representative Eddie Villanueva.

If Robredo decides not to run in 2022 polls, Drilon, who sits as Liberal Party vice chairperson, said the Liberal Party is open to alliances.

“That is the reality of politics today. As we said, we should only have one candidate. We cross our fingers that VP Robredo will decide to run for president and we believe she is the strongest and, hopefully, she can unite all the non-Duterte candidates,” he said.

“If she does not run for the presidency, then the LP will have to meet and see where we will go from there,” he added.

Palace backs Sara Duterte remarks vs Leni Robredo over Davao COVID-19 case surge

Robie de Guzman   •   June 14, 2021

MANILA, Philippines – Malacañang on Monday backed Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte-Carpio’s statements against Vice President Leni Robredo over the surge of COVID-19 cases in Davao City.

Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said he supports Mayor Sara’s remark that Robredo should stop “politicking” the Davao City’s response to the COVID-19 situation.

“Tigil na muna ni VP Leni ang pamumulitika,” Roque said at a Palace briefing.

“Sasagot naman po si Mayor Sara as Mayor of Davao City kapag po, the VP ‘dares to run for president’. So, abangan po natin ang engkwentro ng dalawa. Parating naman po yan,” he added.

On Monday, Duterte-Carpio told Robredo to “refrain from giving advice” if she knows nothing about the city government’s responses against COVID-19.

Duterte also said that Robredo “should not attack the medical community of Davao City as being inactive when they have been silently suffering and working tirelessly to help save lives since March of last year.”

“The VP should avoid involving the Covid-19 surge in Davao City in her attempt at politicking. There will be a proper time to attack my performance as an LCE in this pandemic if she dares to run for President,” she added.

Robredo earlier said that Davao City should learn from the experience of Cebu City in terms of handling the coronavirus surge when it became the epicenter of COVID-19 in the country.

The vice president’s camp has yet to comment on Duterte-Carpio’s statements. – RRD (with details from Correspondent Rosalie Coz)

Robredo says she remains open to running for president in 2022 polls

Robie de Guzman   •   June 4, 2021

MANILA, Philippines – Vice President Leni Robredo on Friday said she remains open to joining the presidential race in the 2022 national elections but reiterated that she has yet to decide on whether she will run for the gubernatorial post in Camarines Sur.

Robredo issued the remark following fresh claims of her possible gubernatorial run next year.

“Sa gitna ng maraming haka haka, uulitin ko lang ang ilang beses ko na ring sinabi: Wala pang desisyon na ako’y tatakbong gobernador. Nananatili akong bukas na maging kandidato sa pagka Pangulo,” she said on Twitter.

Robredo said she will decide on the matter when the time is right.

“Maraming konsiderasyon ang isinasaalang alang pero siguradong mag dedesisyon ako sa tamang panahon. Sinisiguro ko sa lahat na ipapaalam ko kung may narating nang desisyon,” she said.

Robredo previously said she prefers to run for local office but is not totally closing her doors to seeking the presidency in the next elections.

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.