Marcos election protest to proceed despite possible Cabinet position — Lawyer

admin   •   February 23, 2017   •   4551

FILE PHOTO: Former senator Bongbong Marcos

FILE PHOTO: Former Senator Bongbong Marcos

MANILA, Philippines — The resolution issued recently by the Supreme Court (SC) is a partial victory for the camp of former senator Bongbong Marcos in his election protest against Vice President Leni Robredo.

The SC sits as the Presidential Electoral Tribunal (PET) that exercises jurisdiction over protests relating to presidential and vice presidential elections.

In its resolution, the SC allowed the protest to proceed and gave Marcos opportunity to prove his case.

His lawyer, Atty. George Erwin Garcia, now wants the high court to set the case for preliminary conference and start hearing the protest.

“What is important here is the case was not dismissed. This will proceed. We won the first battle,” said Atty. Garcia.

He also said the protest will proceed even if Marcos accepts a position in President Rodrigo Duterte’s Cabinet.

Atty. Garcia said, there had been instances in the past of protestants running for other positions. He cited the case of the late Sen. Miriam Santiago who filed a protest after losing in the presidential elections then ran for the Senate and assumed office when she won.

“The Supreme Court ruled, that is an abandonment of her election protest. But it is a different case for Marcos, because [if ever] he will accept a Cabinet position, which is appointive not elective, and therefore, that doesn’t mean he is abandoning his protest,” he said.

Meanwhile, Robledo’s camp intends to appeal the SC resolution to clarify some details and issues.

“There were issues that need to be resolved first, for example, it was not clear which municipalities will have the ballots reopened and which will not and will only have annulment [of votes],” said Atty. Romulo Macalintal, lawyer for Robredo

Marcos’ lawyer raises no issues with this but says it would be better if the case is resolved the soonest to end questions on the legitimacy of Robledo’s victory last elections.

“It would be better if the case will proceed unhindered because they are claiming that we don’t have evidence. They claim that maybe not everything we are saying were true. So it would be better if we are allowed to present our evidence and prove our case and that will only happen in the absence of their dilatory tactics,” he said. — Roderic Mendoza | UNTV News and Rescue

‘Run Sara Run’ banners not considered electoral offense, Comelec says

Robie de Guzman   •   February 26, 2021

MANILA, Philippines – Banners and other paraphernalia urging presidential daughter, Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte to run in the 2022 national elections are not considered an electoral offense, the Commission on Elections (Comelec) said Friday.

Comelec Spokesperson James Jimenez explained that it is not a violation of election laws because it is not election period, and Mayor Sara herself is not a candidate yet.

“Kahit nakapag-file na ng COC (certificate of candidacy) ang tao, kung hindi pa naman nagsisimula ang campaign period, hindi pa siya itinuturing na official candidate. At dahil hindi pa siya official candidate, kahit anong gawin niya, hindi pa siya pwedeng tratuhin bilang kandidato. Ibig sabihin, hindi pa siya pwedeng mag-commit ng election offense,” Jimenez said.

The poll body official said that the banners sprouting in different areas can only be considered as part of freedom of expression.

The campaign period for May 9, 2022 elections will start from February 8 to May 7, 2022.

Sara Duterte earlier thanked her supporters behind the campaign but she reiterated that she has no plans of joining the 2022 presidential polls.

She also urged her supporters to remove the tarpaulins they mounted without permits and to stop staging motorcades and other activities that may violate the health and safety protocols against COVID-19. – RRD (with details from Correspondent Asher Cadapan Jr.)

Duterte urges Filipinos to set aside differences as PH marks 35th EDSA anniversary

Robie de Guzman   •   February 25, 2021

MANILA, Philippines – President Rodrigo Duterte on Thursday called on Filipinos to ‘set aside differences and work together’ as the country marks the 35th anniversary of the EDSA People Power Revolution.

The EDSA People Power Revolution in 1986 was “inspired by the valor of those whose sacrifice made the liberties we enjoy today possible,” Duterte said in a message.

The president also urged Filipinos to remain vigilant in protecting their rights and the country’s democratic institutions.

“As we contemplate the relevance of this occasion, let is proceed with renewed hope and optimism towards the realization of our shared aspirations for our nation. May this serve as a constant reminder for all of us to remain vigilant in safeguarding our democratic institutions, preserving our values, and upholding our rights as Filipinos,” he said.

“Guided by the spirit of EDSA, let us set aside our differences and work together in building a legacy that we can proudly leave behind for future generations of Filipinos,” he added.

The EDSA People Power Revolution overthrew the government of the late dictator President Ferdinand Marcos and installed the late former President Corazon Aquino to the presidency. RRD (with details from Correspondent Joan Nano)

Comelec launches walkathon event to promote voter registration

Aileen Cerrudo   •   February 23, 2021

MANILA, Philippines — The Commission on Elections (Comelec) is set to launch an event that aims to encourage Filipinos to register in the upcoming 2022 National Elections.

The activity entitled, ‘Walkah Walkah: #MagparehistroKa Voter Education Campaign will see Comelec officials and personnel ride and walk for voter registration on February 26.

During the event, motorcycle riders will take off from Palacio del Gobernador in Intramuros, Manila and will proceed to Mindanao Avenue corner Quirino Highway in Quezon City.

From there, Comelec officials including Spokesperson James Jimenez will lead the walkathon towards Gawad Kalinga Village in Quezon City. Other participants include barangay leaders and other election stakeholders.

Participants will hand out flyers to invite the public to register and inform them about the new protocols amid the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic.

Comelec, meanwhile, assures health and safety protocols will be implemented. There will also be COVID-19 marshalls that will monitor and ensure these protocols are followed.-AAC

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.