Marcos asks SC to set preliminary conference on election protest

admin   •   January 28, 2017   •   3638

FILE PHOTO: Former Senator Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr.

Former senator Bongbong Marcos is asking the Supreme Court to set the preliminary conference on his election protest against Vice President Leni Robredo.

The SC en banc sits as the Presidential Electoral Tribunal (PET) tasked to resolved Marcos’ petition.

Robredo won last year’s vice presidential race, leading Marcos by a slim margin of 200,000 votes.

Atty. Vic Rodriguez, a lawyer for Marcos, said they want the tribunal to already hear the election protest since the last pleading joining the issues in the case was already submitted last September.

WATCH: Duterte assures Robredo will be VP until end of her term

The lawyer explained that the conduct of preliminary conference is necessary before the tribunal can finally order the recount of votes.

Marcos questions Robredo’s victory due to alleged fraud and anomalies during the elections.

He wants the tribunal to annul Robledo’s proclamation and declare him the duly-elected vice president of the country. — Roderic Mendoza | UNTV News and Rescue

COMELEC warns public vs fake social media accounts of commissioners

Robie de Guzman   •   January 27, 2022

MANILA, Philippines – The Commission on Elections (COMELEC) on Thursday warned the public against social media users posing as officials of the poll body.

In a statement, the COMELEC advised the public to reject and immediately report for community standards violations any Facebook friend request purporting to be coming from a COMELEC commissioner or other key officials of the poll body

The commission likewise urged the public to report Twitter profiles impersonating COMELEC key officials for violation of the platform’s impersonation policy.

“These blatant attempts to steal the online identity of COMELEC officials are potentially part of a broader attempt to undermine the integrity of the elections,” COMELEC spokesperson James Jimenez said.

Jimenez said the poll body is closely coordinating with social media platforms to take down these fake profiles and accounts.

He also said that COMELEC is ready to take legal action against the perpetrators.

NPC summons COMELEC, third-party provider over alleged data breach

Robie de Guzman   •   January 27, 2022

The National Privacy Commission (NPC) on Thursday said it has summoned the Commission on Elections (COMELEC), and its third-party provider to discuss the alleged hacking and data breach involving the poll body’s servers.

In a statement, the NPC said representatives from the COMELEC attended the clarificatory meeting held on January 25.

The commission said the poll body continued to deny that the database of overseas voters was compromised and clarified that a list of overseas voters is made publicly available on their website as mandated by law.

When asked to confirm if some of the artifacts came from their servers, COMELEC reiterated that it cannot be so since those were not yet generated for the 2022 elections, the NPC said.

On the topic of their full incident report, the privacy commission said COMELEC sought for extension of time to submit the approved report.

The NPC said it has directed the poll body to submit the full incident report on or before January 27, 2022. It is also ordered to submit additional documents discussed during the clarificatory meeting.

The privacy body said it also summoned a third-party provider of COMELEC “possibly involved in the issue” to appear in a clarificatory hearing.

The NPC did not identify the name of the provider.

“The commission is also pursuing leads regarding this issue, including a group of hackers claiming responsibility for the hack, especially on matters involving personal data,” it said.

“Rest assured we are continuing the investigation to determine if personal data was compromised, violations of the Data Privacy Act were committed, and the responsible individual or group for this incident,” said Privacy Commissioner John Henry Naga.

In a separate clarificatory meeting, the NPC said that Art Samaniego, Jr. and Manila Bulletin confirmed that the artifacts gathered by the agency are the same artifacts that were the basis of their published report.

“NPC required Mr. Samaniego and Manila Bulletin to provide additional artifacts for analysis and comparison with the artifacts collected by NPC’s complaints and investigation division,” it said.

“The artifacts were submitted to the Commission yesterday, January 26,” it added.

The separate meetings were attended by Executive Director Bartolome Sinoruz, Jr. Director James Jimenez, and Director Jeanni Flororita from COMELEC, and Mr. Herminio Coloma Jr., General Reynaldo Rafal, and Art Samaniego Jr. from the Manila Bulletin

COMELEC sets debates for 2022 presidential, vice presidential bets in February

Robie de Guzman   •   January 27, 2022

MANILA, Philippines – The Commission on Elections (COMELEC) is set to hold a total of six presidential and vice presidential debates when the campaign period for the national positions officially begins on February 8.

COMELEC Spokesperson James Jimenez said the “back-to-back” presidential and vice presidential debates will be conducted starting in the last part of February.

The second set of debates will be held in March while the final set will be staged in April.

Jimenez said they are also looking into proposals by commissioners to hold some of the debates in the Visayas and Mindanao.

The poll body has yet to release guidelines and parameters for the debates, which will be staged without live audiences in light of the COVID-19 pandemic. The debate will be streamed live.

Jimenez said they will coordinate with the candidates for the discussion of the guidelines and agreements reached during the discussion will then be written down in a memorandum.

“For them to agree to, or for them to amend kung kailangan nating amiyendahan,” he said.

“But what we want is a set of guidelines – a set of rules – that will be acceptable to all candidates para maiwasan natin yung mga kwestiyon na nangyari nung last debate natin (2016),” he added, referring to the items that were brought to the podium by previous candidates.

Jimenez said candidates are not compelled to attend the debates but their podiums will be left empty should they decide to skip the activity.

“If a candidate refuses to attend his podium will remain empty. So we will make a deal of the fact that they are there so I guess for a campaigner that could be huge motivation to actually attend,” he said.

“In our history sa experience natin kapag COMELEC ang nag organise 100 percent attendance po naman maliban na lang kung ma legitimate na health concerns na nakita natin in the past but other than that, the compliance of the candidates have been very good mainly because alam pag di sila sumipot talagang sila ang pag-uusapan very glaring,” he added.

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.