Manila Water customers to start receiving bill rebates in June
Maris Federez • May 21, 2019 • 2092
Manila Water customers who had been affected by the water crisis in March will start receiving their rebates.
The rebates for the more than 100,000 affected customers will be reflected in the June water bill.
Based on the announcement made by the Metropolitan Waterworks and Sewerage System (MWSS), all residents who had been affected by the crisis will receive 153.93 rebates for the 10 cubic meters of their water consumption in the month of May.
Residents in the severely affected areas who had been rendered waterless 24/7 from March 6 to 31 will be given additional 2,196.94 rebates.
In case the rebate is higher than the actual consumption, the remaining value will be applied to the next month’s water bill, or will be deducted to the previous month’s unpaid bill.
MWSS chief regulator, Atty Patrick Ty said, “the entire 534 million yun po babalik yan lahat sa publiko wala pong maiiwan o walang mapupunta sa MWSS [the entire 534 Million will be returned to the public. Nothing will be left or go to the MWSS].”
Manila Water Spokesperson Jeric Sevilla, on the other hand, said, “susundin natin yun. Kaya ngayon yung rebate para sa customers amounting to 534M, we will coordinate with the regulatory office in terms of implementing yung mga mechanics at guidelines [We will abide by it. The rebates for the customers amounting to 534M will be coordinated with the regulatory office in terms of the implementation of the mechanics and guidelines].”
Customers who will receive rebates from Manila Water are from Taguig, Pasig, Mandaluyong, Quezon City and several towns from Rizal.
The Water Bill Waiver Program is part of the 1.13 Billion-peso fines that was meted out on Manila Water due to its failure to supply water to its customers.
The MWSS also ordered Manila Water to put up a new facility for its water source development measures that cost 600 Million pesos.
This will prevent the incident from happening again and to allow Manila Water to come up with an alternative source of water supply.
Meanwhile, the MWSS has also issued a Notice of Service Obligation Failure to Maynilad Water Services (Maynilad) for the mounting complaints on its services.
Atty. Ty said the 15 days they gave to Maynilad for it to address its water supply problem had already lapsed.
The water regulatory board is giving Maynilad five days to refute the notice and state why they should not be meted out penalties.
Most of the complaints that the MWSS received against Maynila had come from Las Pinas, Muntinlupa and Cavite customers.
Maynilad, in a statement, insisted that the penalty has no basis. It also belied reports that its customers had experienced water interruption for 15 days.
The water company insisted that only 12 percent of its customers had experienced water supply interruption and the agency had adopted measures of rationing water in the affected areas. (with reports from Joan Nano) /mbmf
MANILA, Philippines—The Manila Water on Monday (April 12) announced that the water service interruption in several barangays in Metro Manila will be extended.
The extension of service interruption is due to difficult conditions on the site of Manila Water’s damaged mainline at EDSA/Boni Ave. northbound.
Affected barangays will have no water service from 5:00 in the afternoon of Monday until 4:00 a.m. on Tuesday (April 13) as the company completes its permanent repair of the breakage.
The 600-mm mainline was damaged on Sunday evening (April 11), which resulted in a water service interruption to more than 30 barangays in Mandaluyong, Pasig, San Juan, and Quezon City.
The breakage, the Manila Water reported, was caused by AWIN Technology, a third-party contractor doing CCTV network installation.
MANDALUYONG CITY (16): Highway Hills Barangka Ilaya Barangka Itaas Malamig Addition Hills Greenhills Wack-Wack East Greenhills Mauway Barangka Drive Barangka Ibaba Pleasant Hills Plainview Hulo Hagdang Bato Itaas Hagdang Bato Libis San Jose
SAN JUAN CITY (12): Addition Hills Corazon de Jesus West Crame Pasadena Onse Halo-Halo (St. Joseph) Maytunas Santa Lucia St. Joseph Isabelita Little Baguio Valencia
QUEZON CITY (6): Kaunlaran San Martin de Porres Bagong Lipunan ng Crame Pinagkaisahan Horseshoe Immaculate Concepcion
PASIG CITY (1): Oranbo
“Customers in these areas are encouraged to store just enough water for their needs within the water interruption schedule. This will also help avoid crowding around water tankers,” the Manila Water said in an advisory.
“While we apologize for the inconvenience these have caused thousands of our customers, we are working non-stop to restore water service as soon as possible,” Manila Water’s Group Head for Corporate Strategic Affairs Jeric Sevilla said. -AAC
MANILA, Philippines – Water concessionaires Maynilad Water Services Inc. and Manila Water Company Inc. will extend the implementation of their no disconnection policy until the end of the modified enhanced community quarantine (MECQ), the Metropolitan Waterworks and Sewerage System (MWSS) on Monday said.
“This is to inform the public that the MWSS Regulatory Office (RO) has directed Manila Water Company, Inc. and Maynilad Water Services, Inc., to extend their suspension of all service disconnection activities (whether temporary or permanent) until such time that the modified enhanced community quarantine (MECQ) has been lifted,” MWSS chief regulator Patrick Lester Ty said in a statement.
Metro Manila and the nearby provinces of Cavite, Bulacan, Rizal, and Laguna have been placed under modified enhanced community quarantine (MECQ) from April 12 to April 30.
Water concessionaires are also directed to provide an uninterrupted 24-hour water supply in their service areas.
“This is to ensure that all customers receive clean and adequate water supply for their health and sanitation requirements, especially during this difficult time of the pandemic,” Ty said.
Meanwhile, the MWSS RO asked concerned local government units to assist water concessionaires as they conduct their meter reading and billing activities during the period of MECQ.
MANILA, Philippines – Malacañang bared the key features of the new concession deal with Manila Water and Metropolitan Waterworks and Sewerage System (MWSS).
In particular, the agreement states the removal of government non-interference clauses which means the government will no longer be liable when fulfilling its regulatory functions to protect the consumer.
The deal also recognizes Manila Water as a public utility which makes it more accountable to the government and the public.
Provisions which unduly compromise medium and long term government liabilities have been also removed.
The Palace reiterates that the newly signed agreement is advantageous to the consumer such as the provision that corporate income tax cannot be charged to the consumer.
Tariff freeze will also be effective until December 1, 2022.
Also, the tariff adjustment for inflation will only be two-thirds of the consumer price index and the foreign currency differential adjustment has been removed.
“Dahil po dito sa bagong concession agreement, revised concession agreement sa Manila Water, protektado na po ang gobyerno at ang ating mga consumers,” said Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque.
Meanwhile, the government will also renegotiate with another water concessionaire giant or Maynilad Water Services for a new concession deal.
President Rodrigo Duterte ordered the Department of Justice (DOJ) in 2019 to review the 1997 water concession agreements following the water crisis.
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.