by Robie de Guzman | Posted on Tuesday, April 16th, 2019
MANILA, Philippines – Manila Water Co. Inc. chief operating officer Geodino V. Carpio has resigned from his post, the utility firm announced on Tuesday.
The Ayala-led water distributor said it has accepted Carpio’s resignation but did not explain why he is leaving the company.
Carpio officially steps down from office at the close of business hours on April 16.
Carpio, who served the company for 22 years, was recently visible to the public to explain the water shortage issue that gripped thousands of Manila Water’s clients in March.
Manila Water said that Abelardo Basilio, the current group director for strategic asset management and data protection officer, will replace Carpio as acting COO for Manila Water operations.
Basilio has been working for Manila Water for more than 20 years and previously headed the technical services group, corporate regulatory affairs, and served as group director for east zone business operations. – Robie de Guzman
by Robie de Guzman | Posted on Monday, June 17th, 2019
MANILA, Philippines – East Zone concessionaire Manila Water Company Inc. hinted at the possibility of implementing rotational water service interruptions as the water level in Angat dam continues to drop despite recent rains.
In an advisory posted on Facebook Sunday, the Manila Water said the Angat dam level has further dipped and is nearing the critical level of 160 meters.
As of 6 a.m. on Monday (June 17), Angat’s water level is at 162.39 meters.
“As a result, Manila Water may need to make further operational adjustments affecting water supply for our customers,” the Manila Water said.
The Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (Pagasa) has declared the start of the rainy season last week.
But even with the recent rains, according to Manila Water, the water level at the Angat Dam remains low.
If this continues, the company said it may be forced to implement contingency measures to manage the limited water supply.
“Maaari po kaming magpatupad muli ng mga ‘rotational water service interruptions’ sa buong East zone,” its advisory read.
The National Water Resources Board (NWRB) earlier announced it has reduced the allocation for Metro Manila from 48 cubic meters per second to 46 CBS for the month of June due to lower water levels at Angat Dam.
by Robie de Guzman | Posted on Thursday, May 23rd, 2019
The Manila Water Co. announced on Thursday that 20 villages in Quezon City will experience temporary water service interruptions as it undertakes emergency leak repairs.
In an advisory posted on its Facebook page, Manila Water said the joint leak repair and pipe interconnection/relocation at the Elliptical Road in Quezon City was due to an accidental breakage on a major pipeline caused by one of the Department of Public Works and Highways’ (DPWH) contractors.
“Due to an accidental breakage caused by a DPWH contractor, damaging our major pipeline at Elliptical Road corner Commonwealth Avenue (northbound) in Quezon City, Manila Water is currently undertaking emergency leak repairs which will result in temporary water service interruption,” the advisory read.
The water distributor said the repair works is expected to be completed on May 24 (Friday) at 6 a.m.
Affected villages are listed below:
Old Capitol Site
Teachers Village East
Teachers Village West
The Manila Water said the water service interruption will affect 242,000 people in 44,056 households, commercial and business establishments.
“The interconnection of the new 900mm relocated pipeline at Elliptical Road corner North Avenue, which was previously planned for May 24 to 25, will also be undertaken at the same time to minimize impact to the affected customers,” it added.
The Manila Water advised affected residents to store enough water as some of these areas may still experience service interruptions even after the restoration “due to the still-limited raw water supply.”
by Maris Federez | Posted on Tuesday, May 21st, 2019
Manila Water customers who had been affected by the water crisis in March will start receiving their rebates.
The rebates for the more than 100,000 affected customers will be reflected in the June water bill.
Based on the announcement made by the Metropolitan Waterworks and Sewerage System (MWSS), all residents who had been affected by the crisis will receive 153.93 rebates for the 10 cubic meters of their water consumption in the month of May.
Residents in the severely affected areas who had been rendered waterless 24/7 from March 6 to 31 will be given additional 2,196.94 rebates.
In case the rebate is higher than the actual consumption, the remaining value will be applied to the next month’s water bill, or will be deducted to the previous month’s unpaid bill.
MWSS chief regulator, Atty Patrick Ty said, “the entire 534 million yun po babalik yan lahat sa publiko wala pong maiiwan o walang mapupunta sa MWSS [the entire 534 Million will be returned to the public. Nothing will be left or go to the MWSS].”
Manila Water Spokesperson Jeric Sevilla, on the other hand, said, “susundin natin yun. Kaya ngayon yung rebate para sa customers amounting to 534M, we will coordinate with the regulatory office in terms of implementing yung mga mechanics at guidelines [We will abide by it. The rebates for the customers amounting to 534M will be coordinated with the regulatory office in terms of the implementation of the mechanics and guidelines].”
Customers who will receive rebates from Manila Water are from Taguig, Pasig, Mandaluyong, Quezon City and several towns from Rizal.
The Water Bill Waiver Program is part of the 1.13 Billion-peso fines that was meted out on Manila Water due to its failure to supply water to its customers.
The MWSS also ordered Manila Water to put up a new facility for its water source development measures that cost 600 Million pesos.
This will prevent the incident from happening again and to allow Manila Water to come up with an alternative source of water supply.
Meanwhile, the MWSS has also issued a Notice of Service Obligation Failure to Maynilad Water Services (Maynilad) for the mounting complaints on its services.
Atty. Ty said the 15 days they gave to Maynilad for it to address its water supply problem had already lapsed.
The water regulatory board is giving Maynilad five days to refute the notice and state why they should not be meted out penalties.
Most of the complaints that the MWSS received against Maynila had come from Las Pinas, Muntinlupa and Cavite customers.
Maynilad, in a statement, insisted that the penalty has no basis. It also belied reports that its customers had experienced water interruption for 15 days.
The water company insisted that only 12 percent of its customers had experienced water supply interruption and the agency had adopted measures of rationing water in the affected areas. (with reports from Joan Nano) /mbmf
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.