Manila ramps up security, health measures amid rising COVID-19 cases

Robie de Guzman   •   March 8, 2021   •   627

Manila City Mayor Francisco “Isko Moreno” Domagoso during a directional meeting with concerned agencies

MANILA, Philippines –  The local government of Manila has ordered its enforcement units to step up all health and security measures amid increasing cases of novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in the Philippine capital, the city government said.

In a directional meeting on Monday morning, Manila City Mayor Francisco “Isko Moreno” Domagoso directed the Manila Police District (MPD) to intensify police presence in the streets, barangays and major thoroughfares to strictly enforce minimum health protocols.

“Lalo nating higpitan ang pagpapatupad ng minimum health protocols sa lahat ng kalsada at barangay sa Maynila, upang matigil ang tumataas na bilang ng kaso ng COVID-19 sa lungsod,” Mayor Isko said.

He, however, reminded the police to remain courteous to the public.

Domagoso also authorized the Manila Barangay Bureau (MBB) to implement barangay-level lockdowns should COVID-19 cases rise in communities.

“Kapag tuloy-tuloy na lumobo ang kaso ng COVID-19 sa alinmang barangay, automatic mong i-lockdown. Coordinate with the MPD and (MPD chief) General (Leo) Francisco for the security plan,” Domagoso said in his directive addressed to MBB chief Romy Bagay.

Mayor Isko also ordered the redeployment of hundreds of COVID-19 safety marshals in the city, and directed the Manila Traffic and Parking Bureau (MTPB) to augment the security personnel of the MPD.

“Muling pagalain mo ang mga COVID-19 Safety Marshals natin. Magsaway sila ng mga pasaway sa kalsada. Tuloy-tuloy tayo, walang patid, lalo na sa susunod na dalawang linggo,” he said.

The Manila mayor also instructed concerned local agencies to prepare food boxes to be distributed to more than 700,000 families in the city as part of the local government’s COVID-19 Food Security Program.

Manila City has so far recorded about 825 active cases, with 27,447 total recoveries and 813 fatalities.

Phl logs 603 new COVID-19 cases, 156 deaths

Maris Federez   •   December 6, 2021

 

MANILA, Philippines — The Department of Health (DOH) has logged 603 new coronavirus disease (COVID-19) cases based on the data released Sunday, December 5.

The department has also listed 1,047 recoveries and 156 deaths.

The new cases brought the active cases to 13,853, while the additional number of recoveries listed a total of 2,771,536 patients that have recuperated from the viral disease.

With the recent reported deaths, the total number of fatalities brought by COVID-19 is now 49,386.

Meanwhile, two laboratories were not operational on December 3; while four were not able to submit data to the COVID-19 Document Repository System (CDRS).

The DOH said that in the past 14 days, the contribution of the said six laboratories were more or less 0.9% from the samples that were tested, and 1.3% from individuals who were found positive of the disease.

“Note: Of the 156 reported deaths, only 12 occurred in December 2021. 36% of the reported deaths today occurred in November 2021 due to late encoding of death information to COVIDKaya,” the DOH said.

“This issue is currently being coordinated with the Epidemiology and Surveillance Units to ensure information is up to date,” it added.

The health department has also issued a warning to the public not to be complacent amid the threats of COVID-19, particularly the Omicron variant, emphasizing the importance of vaccination against the said virulent disease.

“Pinapaalalahanan ang lahat na huwag maging kampante sa banta ng COVID-19. Bagkus, dapat natin  ipagpatuloy ang tamang pagsunod sa minimum public health standards at laging magsuot ng facemask na may face shield, mag physical distancing, at maghugas ng kamay. Agad rin na magpabakuna upang makakuha ng dagdag na proteksyon laban sa COVID-19,” the DOH said. —/mbmf

Gov’t hits close to 10M jab doses in 5-day national vaccination days

Maris Federez   •   December 6, 2021

MANILA, Philippines — The National Task Force (NTF) against COVID-19 announced Sunday (December 5) that the government has almost hit the 10-million mark in the five-day national vaccination days (NVD).

On its Facebook post, the NTF said that a total of 9,937,827 vaccine doses were administered during the 5-day NVD from November 29 to December 3, based on the latest data from the National Vaccination Operations Center (NVOC).

“A total of 8,090,078 vaccine doses were administered during the original three-day event. This includes 6,696,920 first doses, 1,182,464 second doses, and 210,694 booster shots and additional doses,” the NTF said.

The task force added that in the original three-day event (November 29 to December 1), the government has administered 8,090,078 vaccine doses; broken down as follows:

  • November 29 with 2,716,068 doses
  • November 30 with 2,489,351 doses
  • December 1 with 2,884,659 doses

The NTF said that “due to the clamor of many LGUs, the government allowed them to voluntarily extend their massive vaccination rollout until December 3, Friday.”

The two-day extension resulted in an additional 1,847,749 doses administered, based on NVOC data. —/mbmf

PH gov’t tracing 253 passengers from Africa amid looming threat of Omicron

Robie de Guzman   •   December 3, 2021

MANILA, Philippines – The Philippine government is tracing and monitoring more than 200 travelers who arrived in the country from African nations in the last two weeks amid the threat of new COVID-19 variant called Omicron, the Department of Health (DOH) said Friday.

Health Undersecretary Maria Rosario Vergeire said they have traced a total of 253 passengers from South Africa who arrived in the Philippines from November 15 to 29.

“BOQ has started to locate these passengers,” Vergeire said in a virtual press forum.

Of the 253 passengers, 249 were returning overseas Filipinos and four were foreigners. Authorities have traced 71 of these individuals.

The number includes three foreigners still in quarantine in Western Visayas after yielding negative test results.

Vergeire said three of these passengers initially tested positive for COVID-19. One passenger came from South Africa, another from Burkina Faso, and the other from Egypt.

She said samples of these travelers may undergo genome sequencing for variant identification.

“We are still processing the batch that we are going to subject to whole genome sequencing for this week. Results might be tonight or maybe tomorrow,” she said.

“Meron pong dumating na 253 from South Africa noong Nov. 15 to 29, may tatlo galing Burkina Faso; and mayroon 541 galing Egypt. Each of these countries nagkaroon ng isang traveler who tested positive for COVID-19,” she added.

The Philippine government banned the entry of travelers – except for Filipino repatriates – from South Africa, Botswana, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Lesotho, Eswatini, and Mozambique, Austria, the Czech Republic, Hungary, the Netherlands, Switzerland, Belgium, and Italy until December 15 as a precautionary measure against the Omicron variant.

The DOH said the heavily mutated variant and potentially more infectious than other coronavirus variants have now been detected in 35 countries.

The variant was first discovered in South Africa.

It has been designated as a variant of concern but the World Health Organization said further studies are needed to better understand the variant’s effect on vaccines, treatment, and the virus’ transmissibility.

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.