MANILA, Philippines – A judge of the Manila Regional Trial Court (RTC) was shot dead inside her office on Wednesday afternoon, local authorities said.
The victim was identified as Ma. Theresa Abadilla, 44, judge of Manila RTC Branch 45.
Abadilla was shot in her chamber on the fifth floor of the Manila City Hall around 2:45 p.m. and was immediately rushed to a hospital after the incident, according to a report by the city’s security force.
She was declared dead around 3:15 p.m., authorities said.
In a report to Manila City Mayor Francisco “Isko Moreno” Domagoso, authorities identified the judge’s 42-year-old clerk of court, Atty. Amador Rebato Jr., as the suspect.
The alleged gunman also died after shooting himself inside the office, the report stated.
Initial investigation showed that prior to the shooting, Abadilla was talking to Rebato about his work performance which seemed “unfavorable”.
According to the report, Juanito Reyes, the court’s legal researcher, told the authorities that Rebato recently got infected with COVID-19 which affected his performance and was planning to resign.
The city security force said the investigation into the incident has been turned over to the Homicide Division for proper disposition.
Nine police officers are facing administrative charges for their involvement in the shooting of four soldiers in Jolo, Sulu on June 29.
Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Camilo Cascolan confirmed on Monday (September 7) that the PNP-Internal Affairs Service (PNP-IAS) has filed administrative charges against the nine cops and their three immediate superiors.
“Summons were served last week to the nine respondents who are presently under restrictive custody by the headquarters support service in Camp Crame,” he said.
Aside from the administrative charges, the nine cops will also face criminal charges for murder and planting of evidence filed by the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI).
Cascolan also said the three immediate superiors will face administrative charges “for gross neglect of duty under the doctrine of command responsibility.”
The Philippine Army previously reported that the four soldiers are members of their intelligence unit who are on the hunt for two suicide bombers. They also said the two suicide bombers are those responsible for the twin explosions in Jolo, Sulu on August 24 which killed 15 and injured 74. AAC (with reports from Lea Ylagan)
MANILA, Philippines – The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) on Wednesday said it will review its existing protocols to see if these are in need of improvements following the unfortunate incident involving a group of policemen and soldiers in Jolo, Sulu.
In a statement, AFP spokesperson Major General Edgard Arevalo said the AFP chief of staff General Felimon Santos Jr. and Philippine National Police chief Police General Archie Gamboa have agreed to revisit each Technique, Tactics, and Procedure (TTPs) to “determine if these are current and are followed religiously to prevent the incident from happening again.”
On Monday, June 29, four soldiers were killed after they were accosted by local police officers.
The Philippine Army earlier said the four men, who were wearing civilian clothes, were on an official mission when they were spotted by police officers on patrol.
When questioned by cops, the four men allegedly introduced themselves as members of the AFP. They were then asked to proceed to the Jolo Municipal Police Station for verification.
However, initial police report said the soldiers attempted to escape prompting police to give chase. When the men got off their vehicle, they allegedly pointed their firearms at the police, which prompted the cops to fire at them, resulting in their death.
But Philippine Army Commanding General Lieutenant General Gilbert Gapay criticized the spot report of the police, calling it “fabricated,” and “full of inconsistencies.” He also tagged the incident as a “rubout” and “murder” after noting that the soldiers did not try to escape and never fired a single shot towards police officers.
According to Arevalo, Gapay’s comments on the incident were based from “a learned evaluation of information” that were presented to him.
“His point of view is supported by spot reports and eye-witness accounts of two civilians and of a motorcycle-riding soldier who was part of the operation trailing the SUV boarded by the four intelligence personnel,” he said.
While there is an initial result of the autopsy, Arevalo said the AFP will not reveal it yet to avoid preempting its announcement.
The slain soldiers were given military arrival honors when their remains were brought at Villamor Airbase in Pasay City on Tuesday afternoon.
“We share the grief of LTGen Gapay and his call for an impartial and thorough investigation and his quest for justice as he minced no words in calling for accountability and liability for those involved in the incident,” he added.
Arevalo also shared that as a way forward and apart from the yearning for justice, AFP chief Santos has tasked members of the staff and subordinate commanders to ensure that these soldiers who died in line of duty will be given the assistance, benefits, and entitlements due them.
The military also hopes for a swift yet thorough investigation of the incident, with the express cooperation of the PNP and the AFP.
“While we are in search for truth and justice, we are also mindful not to allow the enemies of the state to take advantage of the incident to create a divide between the AFP and the PNP,” Arevalo said.
MANILA, Philippines — Three people were killed while two minors were hurt in a shooting incident that occurred in Taguig City on Tuesday afternoon, police said.
Initial report from the Southern Police District revealed that the fatalities include a Filipino and two Chinese nationals while two girls, aged 5 and 12, were rushed to the Taguig Pateros District Hospital.
Police said the incident happened around 2:30 p.m. in front of the Department of Science and Technology (DOST) office along Gen. Santos Avenue in Barangay Upper Bicutan.
Four unidentified armed men were said to be involved in the shooting incident.
No further details have been made available yet by the authorities.
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.