Malls in San Juan City temporarily closed starting March 15 — Zamora

Robie de Guzman   •   March 14, 2020   •   582

MANILA, Philippines – Malls in San Juan City will be temporarily closed starting on Sunday, March 15 amid growing cases of novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in the country, Mayor Francis Zamora announced Saturday.

In a statement, Zamora said he has coordinated with operators of the Greenhills Shopping Center, Promenade, Theater Mall, and the Santolan Town Plaza in San Juan City for their temporary closure “until further notice.”

“This is to ensure the safety of everyone amidst the threat of the COVID-19,” Zamora said.

The announcement follows the emergency meeting of the Metro Manila Council on Saturday where mayors of the 17 local government units (LGU) agreed to close the malls in their respective cities, and set a curfew for their constituents from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.

The Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) later clarified that the curfew across Metro Manila would not be enforced immediately as LGUs still need to pass local ordinances to impose it in their respective areas.

The measure comes after Metro Manila was placed under community quarantine by President Rodrigo Duterte to combat the spread of coronavirus.

Among the restrictions during the quarantine period is the conduct of mass gatherings.

In view of this, Zamora said that masses at Pinaglabanan Church, Sanctuario de Santo Cristo, Mary the Queen and Santuario de San Jose in San Juan City have also been cancelled.

“Everyone is advised to stay in their homes and observe social distancing and proper handwashing,” the mayor said.

2 areas in San Juan City under lockdown due to spike of COVID-19 cases

Aileen Cerrudo   •   July 9, 2020

Two areas in San Juan City are placed under lockdown due to the high number of confirmed coronavirus disease (COVID-19) cases.

C. Santos Street in Barangay Balong Bato and J. Eustaquio Street in Barangay Proseso are considered critical zones by the local government of San Juan after a total of 13 COVID-19 cases were recorded.

Seven are from C. Santos Street while six are from J. Eustaquio Street. The two areas will be under lockdown from July 7 to July 22.

Based on National Task Force on Covid-19 Memorandum Circular No. 2, “a street shall be categorized as CrZ (Critical Zone) if at least two (2) cluster of cases, composed of either suspect, probable and/or confirmed COVID-19, are present in different houses, buildings or establishments along a specified street.”

The local government has provided assistance to 255 households affected by the lockdown, while police are deployed to monitor lockdown violators.

Meanwhile, San Juan’s Agora Market will remain closed until July 15 after 23 employees and vendors tested positive for COVID-19. The said market is now under disinfection and sanitation procedure.

As of July 8, the San Juan local government recorded a total of 481 confirmed COVID-19 cases, with 134 active cases, 300 recoveries, and 47 deaths.

Based on the report, there is a spike in the daily number of new cases from June 27 compared to the recorded cases from June 15 to June 26. –AAC (with reports from Vincent Arboleda)

Global COVID-19 cases exceed 11.32 million, deaths top 530,000

UNTV News   •   July 7, 2020

The number of global confirmed infections of COVID-19 continued climbing to 11,327,790 cases, while the deaths caused by the virus rose to 532,340 as of 18:01 CEST, Monday, according to a report from the World Health Organization (WHO).

India has overtaken Russia to become the world’s third-worst affected nation in terms of infections.

India’s federal health ministry Monday morning said 425 new deaths due to COVID-19, besides fresh 24,248 positive cases, were reported during the past 24 hours across the country, taking the number of deaths to 19,693 and total cases to 697,413.

According to ministry officials, so far 424,433 people have been discharged from hospital after showing improvement.

Presently the country has entered the “Unlock 2.0” phase, though restrictions remain in full force inside the COVID-19 containment zones.

The country on Monday reopened a total of 3,691 tourist attractions after they were ordered to close three months ago.

On Friday the country’s civil aviation watchdog Directorate General of Civil Aviation announced commercial international flights to and from India shall remain suspended until July 31.

The number of COVID-19 deaths in the United States topped 130,000 on Monday, reaching 130,248 as of 23:33 GMT, according to the Center for Systems Science and Engineering (CSSE) at Johns Hopkins University.

A total of 2,931,142 cases have been reported in the country, an increase of over 55,000 from Sunday, according to the CSSE.

The state of New York reported the most cases and the highest death toll in the country, standing at 397,649 and 32,219, respectively. Other states with over 100,000 cases include California, Florida, Texas, New Jersey, Illinois, Massachusetts, and Arizona, the CSSE data showed.

According to the Texas Health and Human Services, as of Monday, 200,557 confirmed COVID-19 cases had been reported in the state, an increase of 5,318 from Sunday. The death toll reached 2,655.

Confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the U.S. state of Arizona exceeded 100,000 to reach 101, 441 on Monday, with 3,352 new cases in 24 hours, the state’s Department of Health Services said.

Brazil’s COVID-19 death toll surpassed 65,000 on Monday after 620 more patients died in the previous 24 hours, bringing the total to 65,487, the Ministry of Health said.

The total number of people who have tested positive for the novel coronavirus since the start of the outbreak rose to 1,623,284, following a daily surge of 20,229 cases.

Some 927,292 patients have recovered from the disease, the ministry said.

The state of Sao Paulo, the country’s most populated, is also the hardest hit by the pandemic, with 323,070 cases and 16,134 deaths, followed by Rio de Janeiro, with 121,879 cases and 10,698 deaths.

Russia recorded 6,611 new COVID-19 cases in the past 24 hours, taking its total to 687,862, the country’s coronavirus response center said in a statement Monday.

The death toll rose by 135 to 10,296, while 454,329 people have recovered, said the statement.

By Monday, Russia has conducted over 21.3 million tests.

Also by Monday, Germany had confirmed about 196,554 COVID-19 infections, increasing by 219 from the previous day, while deaths rose by four to stand at 9,016, according to a report from Robert Koch Institute.

German Chancellor Angela Merkel rejects the idea of backing away from the face mask requirement in the country’s shops, government spokesperson Steffen Seibert said Monday.

“Wherever the minimum distance cannot be guaranteed in public life, masks are an important and, from today’s perspective, still indispensable means,” stressed Seibert. The wearing of masks is still necessary in order to “keep the number of infections low and to protect other people and ourselves

The Tokyo metropolitan government confirmed 102 new daily COVID-19 cases in the capital on Monday, marking the fifth successive day infections have topped 100 in Tokyo amid a prolonged resurgence of cases.

Of the 102 new cases, the trend of younger people being infected has continued, the metropolitan government said, with 72 new infections being those in their 20s and 30s, or about 70 percent of the total.

Of the newly confirmed cases in the city of 14 million, 42 have no known infection route, with 35 of the cases connected to nighttime entertainment establishments in downtown districts in Tokyo.

As clusters of infections continue in such districts, the Tokyo metropolitan government said Monday that 31 of the new cases were connected to such a nightspot in a part of the city’s Shinjuku district.

The Tokyo metropolitan government has urged people to pay serious attention to such virus-hit downtown areas and preventative measures, or lack thereof, against the spread of the pneumonia-carrying virus being taken by establishments located there.

It has also urged Tokyo residents to refrain from making unnecessary trips across prefectural borders.

Tokyo’s cumulative COVID-19 cases have now reached 6,867, the highest among Japan’s 47 prefectures, according to the latest official figures Monday evening, accounting for roughly one-third of Japan’s total cases.

Nationwide, cases increased by 174 on Monday, bringing Japan’s cumulative total to 19,996, not including COVID-19 cases connected to a cruise ship that was quarantined in Yokohama.

Japan’s death toll from the virus stands at 991 people, according to the latest figures Monday evening from the health ministry and local authorities.

Australia’s coronavirus death toll has increased for the first time in about 10 days to 106.

Authorities in Victoria on Monday revealed that two men, one in his 90s and the other in his 60s, died from COVID-19 in hospital on Sunday and Monday respectively, taking the state’s death toll to 22.

Michael Kidd, the Australian government deputy chief medical officer, said in an update on Monday that there have been 140 new confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Australia in the last 24 hours.

Of the new cases, 127 were in Victoria. And this is the state’s biggest daily increase, according to local media.

In response to the spike in cases, New South Wales (NSW) has joined other states in closing its borders to Victoria. (Reuters)

Kim Jong Un says North Korea prevented coronavirus from making inroads

UNTV News   •   July 3, 2020

North Korean leader Kim Jong Un told a meeting of the politburo of the ruling Workers Party the North had stopped the novel coronavirus from making inroads in the country, state news agency KCNA said on Friday (July 3).

“We have thoroughly prevented the inroad of the malignant virus and maintained a stable anti-epidemic situation despite the worldwide health crisis, which is a shining success achieved,” Kim Jong Un said in a statement carried by KCNA.

He warned against self-complacency or relaxation in the anti-epidemic effort and urged North Koreans to maintain “maximum alert,” KCNA said in a statement.

While the reclusive country has not confirmed any infections, its public health ministry has reported all 922 people checked so far have tested negative. Hundreds of people, mostly cargo handlers at seaports and land borders, are regularly quarantined for monitoring.

A politburo meeting on Thursday (July 2) also touched on the construction of the Pyongyang General Hospital, underway in the capital. Kim expressed satisfaction with the project and thanked the builders for making headway under unfavorable conditions. (Reuters)

(Production: Hyunyoung Yi)

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.