Malakanyang, Bubuo ng Grupong Susuri kung Dapat na ang Cha-Cha o Hindi

admin   •   July 31, 2012   •   2439

FILE PHOTO: President Benigno Aquino III (Photo by the Malacañang Photo Bureau)

MANILA, Philippines — Ipinag-utos na ni Pangulong Benigno Aquino III ang pagbuo ng isang study group upang pag-aralan ang panukalang pag-amyenda sa Konstitusyon. Ang grupo ay kabibilangan ng mga miyembro ng legal at economic cluster ng executive branch.

Ang naturang hakbang ay resulta ng pagpupulong sa pagitan nina Pangulong Aquino, Senate President Juan Ponce Enrile at House Speaker Feliciano Belmonte Jr.

“We agreed to have the underlying basis studied by the economic and legal clusters with private sector’s participation upon the suggestions of both the senate president and the speaker,” pahayag ni Presidential Spokesman Edwin Lacierda.

Partikular umano na susuriin ay ang pagamiyenda sa economic provision ng kasalukuyang Saligang Batas.

“Primarily to layout what are the justifications that convinced the Senate President and the Speaker from advocating Cha-Cha,” paglilinaw ng opisyal.

Ayon sa Malakanyang, ipagpapaubaya na umano nito sa grupo ang pagalam kung dapat ba o di dapat baguhin ang Saligang Batas.

Samantala, kuntento naman si Senate President Juan Ponce Enrile sa naging resulta ng pakikipagpulong nila sa Pangulo. (Ito ang Balita ni Nel Maribojoc/Marje Navarro, UNTV News)

Arbitral ruling on WPS issue not meaningless but UN can’t enforce it, Enrile says

Robie de Guzman   •   May 18, 2021

MANILA, Philippines – Former Senate President Juan Ponce Enrile expressed his belief that the arbitral ruling upholding the claims of the Philippines in the West Philippine Sea is not meaningless.

Enrile issued the remark after President Rodrigo Duterte reiterated his stand that the 2016 The Hague ruling nullifying China’s historical claims over the West Philippine Sea will just be rejected by China.

“This is really the dilemma of the nation. For me, the beginning of this problem was when we retreated,” Duterte said, referring to the 2012 standoff between the Philippines and China in the Scarborough Shoal.

“Since then, yung paper works about the arbitral award has become meaningless and the opposite camp of the political side ay nagsabi na I should do my very best in asking the UN,” he added.

But Enrile said the arbitral ruling on the issue will not go to waste as it is already on record. He also indicated that the award, which also voided China’s historical claims, was based on the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea.

“Sa aking paningin, hindi naman nasasayang yung desisyon ng arbitration diyan sa bagay na yan sapagka’t nandiyan na yun eh. Sa palagay ko nakarehistro ang decision sa record ng UN,” he said.

He, however, said any resolution coming from the UN will not have much effect as the body is powerless to enforce it.

“Ano pang kailangang resolusyon ng UN para malunasan ang sigalot na yan? Palagay ko kahit may resolution ng UN yan, di mapapatupad ng UN yung resolution nila. Wala silang police force eh. Wala namang world government na kagaya ng estruktura sa ating bansa,” he said.

Duterte thanked Enrile for his advise and for backing up the administration’s foreign policy, reiterating that he prefers to talk with China instead of using force to defend the Philippine sovereignty.

“I was frank enough in the early days that ‘might’ make it right. We are not unfortunately on the side of might. We cannot do anything in force so we have to talk,” he said.

“Just talk and talk until such time by grace of God until there is an opportunity in time,” he added.

Duterte invited Enrile to be a special guest during his weekly public address to speak on the issue of the West Philippine Sea.

Enrile advises Duterte to ignore critics of foreign policy; keep friendly approach on West PH Sea issue

Robie de Guzman   •   May 18, 2021

MANILA, Philippines – Former Senate President Juan Ponce Enrile advised President Rodrigo Duterte not to mind people who are criticizing his foreign policy, particularly on the issue involving China and the disputed areas in the West Philippine Sea.

During Duterte’s pre-recorded public address late Monday, Enrile told the president to just let his critics ramble on and to not engage them on the issue.

“That’s the best thing Mr. President. Pabayaan mo na lang sila,” Enrile said.

“After all Mr. President, you are only responsible to the Filipino people, and you are not responsible to any specific person for your foreign policy. Yours is to protect the interest of the nation and its people in the best way you can,” he added.

Duterte invited Enrile to Malacañang to speak on the issue concerning West Philippine Sea, the role in the issue of some officials, particularly former Senator Antonio Trillanes and former Foreign Affairs Secretary Albert del Rosario, and why the Philippines lost access to the Scarborough Shoal during the Aquino administration.

“Alam na ngayon ng mga tao kug bakit hindi ako sumasagot. This is the best advise that I got ngayong gabing ito,” Duterte said.

“I hope that we would be able to weather any trouble with China now and in the future for as long as it’s very dangerous for us,” he added.

Earlier in the conference, the 97-year old former lawmaker also advised Duterte to keep his “friendly” approach towards China and the issue on the West Philippine Sea.

“Hindi dapat gamitin ang mainit na kaisipan na kagaya ng mga kritiko natin. Dapat balance lang ang approach natin at mahinahon,” he said.

“Kailangan na friendly ang approach natin diyan, hindi assertive and aggressive approach sapagkat kapag hindi tayo magkakaunawa sa China ay madadamay ang interes ng ating mga kababayan, ang ating ekonomiya, pati na rin ang ating seguridad dito sa usapin na ito,” he added.

Duterte thanked Enrile for his advise, reiterating that he prefers to talk with China instead of using force to defend the Philippine sovereignty.

Enrile digs up role of Trillanes in talks with China on WPS row

Robie de Guzman   •   May 18, 2021

MANILA, Philippines – Former Senate President Juan Ponce Enrile on Monday night questioned the appointment of former Senator Antonio Trillanes IV by then-President Noynoy Aquino to be the country’s negotiator to China during the 2012 West Philippine Sea standoff.

During President Rodrigo Duterte’s weekly public address, Enrile recalled that when he was Senate President, Aquino summoned him to Malacañang with Trillanes and former Foreign Affairs Secretary Albert del Rosario to discuss the situation in the Scarborough Shoal.

“Bini-briefing kami ni Del Rosario tungkol doon sa nangyari sa Scarborough Shoal at mukhang nagkaroon ng alitan ang pangkat natin at pangkat ng Tsina doon,” he said.

The 97-year old former lawmaker said it was during that time that he was informed about Trillanes’ talks with China regarding the standoff under the orders of Aquino.

He said he questioned Trillanes’ authority to conduct such negotiations, as well as his connections in Beijing.

“Ngayon sinabi ni Trillanes na nagpunta siya sa Tsina at kinausap niya ang mga namumuno sa Tsina tungkol doon sa problema na yun. Ako naman, bilang presidente ng Senado noon, tinanong ko sa kanya, ‘anong karapatan mo na magpunta sa Tsina? Yun ba ay kusang loob mo lamang na magpunta roon?’” he said.

“Sabi niya, ‘Hindi, nagpunta ako doon, may authority ako.’ Sabi ko ‘Sinong nag-utos sa iyo na pumunta roon?’ pagkatapos sumagot si President Aquino, ang sabi niya ‘Ako ang nag-utos sa kanya,’” Enrile said, quoting their  exchange.

Enrile said he remembers telling Aquino to be wary of such move as they are not fully aware of Trillanes’ negotiations with China.

“Sinabi ko kay President Aquino na ‘Dahan-dahan, Mr. President, medyo masalimuot yata yan sapagkat hindi natin alam kung ano ang mga pinag-usapan nila at ni Trillanes doon sa mga kinakausap niya sa Tsina kaya mag-iingat tayo,’” he said.

Enrile also claimed that Sonia Brady, the Philippines’ envoy to China at the time, had complained of Trillanes’ actions of “bypassing” immigration protocols.

“Pagkatapos nun, si Secretary Del Rosario, binigyan ako ng sulat ni Ambassador Brady natin sa Tsina na nagrereklamo na itong si Trillanes ay bina-bypass siya,” he said.

“Yun pala, si Trillanes ay pasok at labas sa Tsina na tila hindi na dumadaan sa immigration dahil inuutusan yata siya ni Presidente Aquino, kaya sinabihan ko sila na dapat huwag nating gawin yun sapagkat bansa ang nauukol dito, magkaroon ng mediation,” he added.

In response to Enrile’s claims, Trillanes told the former senator to check his facts.

“Why did I bypass Amb. Brady? Check your facts Mr. Enrile. Amb. Brady first went to Beijing in early August or late July when I was wrapping up the backchannel talks. SHE WAS NEVER PRESENT AT ANY BACKCHANNEL MEETING FROM MAY TO JULY,” he wrote on Twitter.

“Upon her arrival, at the first instance, I briefed her on the whole talks at the Ph Embassy WITH NO CHINESE PRESENT. That was the only time I met her. After that briefing, I concluded the backchannel talks,” he added.

To recall, the Philippines and China were involved in a three-month standoff near the Scarborough Shoal in June 2012. Tensions began in April when the Philippine Navy attempted to arrest the crewmembers of eight Chinese fishing vessels illegally hauling corals and clams near the shoal but was blocked by Chinese maritime surveillance ships.

Trillanes, then a senator, was sent to conduct backdoor negotiations with China to diffuse the tension in the West Philippine Sea.

The United States brokered the deal to resolve the standoff by asking both parties to withdraw their ships. The Philippines complied with agreement but China did not retreat from the area.

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.