Malacañang will not intervene in the disputes of Congress over Charter Change
UNTV News • January 24, 2018 • 2983
MANILA, Philippines – Amending the 1987 Constitution to pave the way for the change in the form of government from unitary to federal remains to be the priority of the Duterte Administration.
But at present, the Senate and the Lower House do not agree on which method to use in revising the Constitution.
For its part, Malacañang remains firm that it will not intervene and will let the legislative branch to resolve the matter.
“In this issue, even some justices of the Supreme Court say that the judiciary cannot intervene in this issue. It is just the Congress that can resolve this and that is the stand of Malacañang,” Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said.
Meanwhile, Malacañang is confident that Congress understands President Rodrigo Duterte’s stand not to extend his term.
This was after Senate President Koko Pimentel said that the term of the president should be extended during the transition period of the country to federalism.
“I am telling you now, if I extend my term event just for one day, I am now asking the Armed Forces of the Philippines and the PNP not to allow me or anybody else to mess up with the Constitution. If I extend, if I want to be a dictator, shoot me, I am not flattering you,” Duterte said.
“I don’t think the majority would want constitutional succession, so they better provide for a transition that would mean that the president will step down in 2022,” Roque said. – Rosalie Coz | UNTV News & Rescue
Malacañang has announced that President Rodrigo Duterte is experiencing sickness due to old age and is now in the “green of health”, not pink.
On Sunday, Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo said the president, who is now 74 years old, is “not normal” when it comes to his health.
“Hindi siya normal kasi nga, ang dami niyang nararamdaman. Kumbaga, kung sinabi ko noon na (He is not normal because he has a lot of illnesses. It’s like, if I said then) he was ‘in the pink of health’, ngayon (now) I think he is now ‘in the green of health’,” he said.
However, Panelo said despite these illnesses, Duterte continues to do his duties as the chief executive.
“If you will notice, kahit na ganyan siya, may nararamdaman, iyong kaniyang schedule ganoon pa rin, hindi pa rin nagbago (Even if he is experiencing illnesses [due to old age]his schedule remain unchanged), not only does he survive but he does it well,” he said.—AAC (with reports from Rosalie Coz)
MANILA, Philippines – Malacañang dismissed Senate Minority Leader Franklin Drilon’s claim that the administration’s Build Build Build program is a dismal failure.
Drilon claimed that the administration has only started nine out of 75 flagship projects in the past three years in office.
“It is sad to say that the BBB program of the administration is a dismal failure. Out of the 75 flagship projects that were proposed at the start of the administration, exactly nine started construction,” Drilon told reporters.
“That is only two percent of the total,” he added.
But Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo was quick to dismiss Drilon’s claim as baseless stressing that the Duterte administration had accomplished more than the previous administration.
“Senator Frank, look at the administration you previously belonged. Six years, not a single infrastructure na nagawa (was completed). Malayong-malayo sa dami [nang nagawa ng administrasyon ngayon] (It doesn’t compare with the achievements of this administration),” Panelo said.
“It’s baseless […] maraming ginagawa ang administrasyon (this administration is working on a lot of projects),” he added.
Malacañang believes that the current management of the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) is effectively handling these projects.
Thus, Panelo said the Palace is confident that before President Rodrigo Duterte ends his term, majority of the projects under the Build, Build, Build program will be completed. MNP (with details from Rosalie Coz)
MANILA, Philippines – Malacañang does not deny being concerned about recent reports that the Philippines is currently the world’s top rice importer.
According to Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo, such report may be true but the government is making sure that the Department of Agriculture (DA) is on top of the situation.
“Ginagawa naman ni Secretary Dar ang kaniyang mga pamamaraan (Secretary Dar is finding ways) to solve whatever problems confronting the farmers,” Panelo said.
The report published by the United States’ Department of Agriculture-Foreign Agricultural Services (USDA-FAS) projected the Philippines rice importation to reach a record high by year-end – about 3 million metric tons – the highest in the world and the country’s highest ever recorded.
This projection is way higher than China, the biggest rice importer so far at 2.5 million metric tons by year-end.
Malacañang, meanwhile, blames the country’s lack of irrigation as the main reason for the increase in rice importation. – MNP (with inputs from Rosalie Coz)
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.