Emergency Hotlines: LANDLINE (+63) 2 911 – 8688

Malacañang tags NPA attack in Iloilo an “opportunistic act”

by UNTV News   |   Posted on Monday, June 19th, 2017

MANILA, Philippines — Malacañang has condemned the recent attack of the New People’s Army (NPA) on the municipal police station of Maasin, Iloilo and called it an “opportunistic act”.

The NPA rebels seized the arms, ammunitions and tactical radios of the municipal police.

This was despite the commitment of the government and the leftist groups not to launch offensive attacks against each other while the government has ongoing intensified military operations in Marawi City.

Presidential Spokesperson Ernesto Abella said, “Although the attack was not in Mindanao, the act was opportunistic in nature and disregards the nature of the NDF (National Democratic Front declaration). We ask the NDF to call on their armed comrades on the ground to walk the talk and to show genuine sincerity on the confidence-building measure initiated by the government and their side.” — UNTV News & Rescue

Tags: , , , , ,

Leave a Reply

Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.

NPA ‘sorry’ for attack in Surigao del Norte

by UNTV News and Rescue   |   Posted on Monday, April 23rd, 2018

MANILA, Philippines —  “Sorry sa pagkakamali ng tropa (Sorry the troop’s mistake).”

This was the statement released by Rino “Ka Oto” Colaste, spokesperson of Guerilla Front 16 of the New People’s Army for the attack last week in Barangay Lahi, Gigaquit, Surigao Del Norte that killed one and injured two others.

The incident last Wednesday, April 18, killed Jepti Acido, a pastor of Jehovah’s Witnesses while two of his companions were wounded.

“Ka Oto” said they are conducting their own investigation on the incident to find out why their men attacked civilians instead of the military in the area.

The Guerrilla Front 16 vowed to shoulder the needs of the victims’ families but the Armed Forces of the Philippines said no amount of money can pay the loss and damages the group has caused.

“Hindi mababayaran ng pera. Hindi mababayaran ng kahit anong bagay ang buhay ng isang tao. Iyon ang ikinalulungkot namin,” said Capt. Al Anthony Pueblas, Spokesperson of 402nd Infantry Brigade, PA.

(Money cannot redeem what happened. Nothing can equal the value of a human life. It’s what saddens us.)

Meanwhile, Gigaquit Mayor Elvira Egay condemned the attack.

“The attack on non-combatants was uncalled for and a clear violation of human rights,” said Mayor Egay in a statement.

The AFP is now preparing for the charges to be filed against the rebels.

“Meron na tayong coordination sa kapulisan. At the same time para serve po natin sa family noong victim ang justice na hinihingi nila, of course, iyon ding pagpasa ng kaso doon sa mga NPA na may gawa nito,” Capt. Pueblas said.

(We are coordinating with the police. At the same time we are filing charges against the NPA rebels behind the incident so that the victim’s family can have the justice they’ve been clamoring for.) — Raymond Octobre | UNTV News & Rescue

 

 

Tags: , ,

1 NPA commander, 1 minor killed in Davao del Sur encounter

by UNTV News and Rescue   |   Posted on Monday, April 23rd, 2018

A New People’s Army (NPA) commander was killed in an encounter on Saturday with the members of the military in Sta. Cruz, Davao del Sur.

The NPA leader was identified as Julito “Ka Taghoy” Pueblas, a terrorist CNT leader of the NPA Guerilla Front 51.

Also killed in the incident was 15-year old John Mark Acto from North Cotabato. Authorities are still verifying if the minor was a member of rebel group.

The military seized a number of firearms, four improvised explosive devices (IEDs,) and pertinent documents from the rebel group.

Lt. General Benjamin Madrigal Jr., Commander of the AFP Eastern Mindanao Command in a statement hopes that the death of Commander Taghoy will serve justice to the victims of his group.

“We hope that this will give closure to the families of his victims. On our part as soldiers of peace our doors will continue to be open and willing to facilitate the surrender of those who want to return to the folds of the law.” Gen. Madrigal Jr. said. — Janice Ingente | UNTV News & Rescue

Tags: , ,

Duterte opens 60-day window for peace talks with Reds

by UNTV News and Rescue   |   Posted on Monday, April 23rd, 2018

Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte

 

President Rodrigo Duterte opens anew opportunity for peace with the communist rebels citing his mandate as president to achieve lasting peace in the country.

During his speech on Saturday at the Annual Convention of Motorcycle Clubs in the Philippines held in Albay, the President has set a 60-day time frame for peace talks and urged communist leader Jose Maria Sison to return to the Philippines to sit at the negotiating table.

“Proposal ko kay Sison, hindi ako doon magpunta. Ang pinag-awayan natin, ang Pilipinas man. So pumunta ka dito. Ako magbigay ng pamasahe. I will pay all your billeting and pagkain,” the President said.

Duterte also urged the rebels to take advantage of the opportunity to go out of their camps to talk peace, though he did not say when the 60-day period would start.

He said he is willing to order a stop on military and police operations against the Reds should they accept his offer.

“You can got out of the camp minus the arms. I will give you the complete freedom to move… I will order the military and police to be nice to you. Take advantage of that 60 days,” he said.

President Duterte previously said he will agree on the resumption of talks only if the Reds agree on a ceasefire first, stop their extortion activities and drop the proposal for a coalition government. — Rosalie Coz | UNTV News & Rescue

 

 

 

 

Tags: , ,