Malacañan hopes for MILF’s acceptance of approved version of BBL
UNTV News • May 6, 2015 • 2454
FILE PHOTO: President Benigno S. Aquino lll witnesses Bangsamoro Transition Commission Chairman Mohagher Iqbal hand over of the draft Bangsamoro Basic Law to Senate President Franklin Drilon during the turnover ceremony in Malacañan Palace on September 10, 2014. Witnessing are Secretary Teresita Quintos-Deles, Speaker of the House Feliciano Belmonte, Jr., and Executive Secretary Paquito Ochoa, Jr (not in the picture). (Photo by Gil Nartea / Malacañang Photo Bureau)
MANILA, Philippines – Malacañan hopes that the Moro Islamic Liberation Front will accept the resulting version for the legislation of the proposed Bangsamoro Basic Law.
PCOO Sec. Herminio Coloma, Jr. Said, “We trust that our lawmakers will give due attentions and consideration to the peace council’s report in their continuing deliberations on the BBL.”
Malacañan believes that the lawmakers will consider the submitted reports and recommendation from the peace council on the passage of the Bangsamoro Basic Law.
According to Presidential Communication Secretary Herminio Coloma Jr, the primary goal of President Aquino on establishing the peace council is to examine the provisions of the BBL and facilitate deliberations in the congress on the proposal towards establishment of Bangsamoro government
Malacañan hopes that the MILF group will accept any version of the proposed BBL that will be approved.
”Of what we understood, they are full pledged partner of the government, full pledged partner means on every chapter they are ready to unite to their partner,” Coloma added.
Malacañan added that, in the end, the public will have to decide if the legislated version of the BBL is acceptable
“The important decision will be based on the opinion of our boss; the people who will vote in the plebiscite,” reminded coloma.
MILF Peace Panel Chair Mohagher Iqbal previously stated they could not accept any major changes to some provisions of the proposed BBL which was based on the established Bangsamoro Comprehensive Agreement. (NEL MARIBOJOC/UNTV NEWS)
MANILA, Philippines – The government is eyeing to provide a special scholarship or capacity development program for decommissioned members of the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) and their families.
The program is among the key points provided in the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) signed by the Office of the Presidential Adviser on the Peace Process (OPAPP), Commission on Higher Education (CHED) and the Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (BARMM).
CHED chairman Prospero de Vera III said the MOU, which was signed last Oct. 30, aims to provide assistance and ensure access to quality tertiary education in the BARMM.
The MOU was inked by De Vera, OPAPP Secretary Carlito Galvez, Jr., and BARMM Technical Education Minister Mohagher Mohammad Iqbal.
“We are assisting the BARMM consistent with the policy of President (Rodrigo) Duterte that all young Filipinos must have access to quality education and that no qualified student is denied access to education on account of poverty,” De Vera said in a statement.
He added that the implementation of initiatives relating to higher education is consistent with Executive Order No. 79 or the Implementing Annex on Normalization Under the Comprehensive Agreement on the Bangsamoro.
Aside from providing special scholarship program, the MOU also seeks to do the following:
Determine the areas to extend technical assistance to the Ministry of Basic, Higher and Technical Education (MBHTE) in relation to BARMM higher education institutions (HEI) and the CHED Registry;
Capacitate MBHTE in monitoring the compliance of BARMM HEIs with the standards of quality education;
Communicate to DSWD the importance of ensuring the inclusion of underprivileged BARMM students and the children of decommissioned MILF combatants and selected beneficiaries from the Six MILF camps in Listahanan 3.0;
Encourage the deputized Expanded Tertiary Education Equivalency and Accreditation Program (ETEEAP) HEIs in Mindanao to help children of decommissioned MILF combatants and selected beneficiaries from the six MILF camps to complete their undergraduate study;
Offer study grants and capacity-building programs to target beneficiaries, subject to existing laws, rules and regulations and procedures
Propose professional development programs to faculty and staff of BARMM HEIs through the available CHED and other national government funds;
Mobilize leading HEIs to provide technical assistance to BARMM higher education needs identified by MBHTE;
Provide MBHTE with necessary assistance in the creation of a tribal university system;
Assist MBHTE with the necessary technical assistance in the crafting of the Education Code.
Galvez, for his part, said they are requesting Congress to allocate funds for the implementation of the scholarship program for the decommissioned combatants.
“I hope that through this agreement, we shall be able to reach out to those students residing in the ‘last mile’ areas, the underserved and most especially, the children of decommissioned MILF combatants. We are committed to supporting them until they achieve their full potentials,” he said.
Galvez believes the recipients of this program will eventually become the next leaders of the BARMM and strong advocates of peace and moral governance.
MANILA, Philippines – The Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) on Monday said it has signed an agreement with the Office of the Presidential Adviser on Peace Process (OPAPP) that would create an initial P100-million emergency employment fund to assist returning rebels of the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF).
The agreement was signed by Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello III and Presidential Peace Adviser Carlito Galvez Jr.
DOLE said the agreement will extend its Integrated Livelihood and Emergency Program aimed to assist the socio-economic development and confidence-building of estimated 7,000 decommissioned MILF combatants.
“This partnership is focused on assisting former rebels to transition into civilian lives, and facilitate their transformation and the six MILF camps into peaceful and productive communities through employment facilitation, and sustainable livelihood assistance,” Bello said in a statement.
DOLE said that under the agreement, the department will assist in the implementation of the Comprehensive Agreement on the Bangsamoro (CAB) Normalization Program through the provision of emergency employment under its Tulong Panghanapbuhay Para sa Ating Disadvantaged/Displace Workers (TUPAD) program.
TUPAD is an emergency employment program for displaced workers, underemployed, and seasonal workers.
DOLE will also provide employment facilitation programs and services to the former rebels under the Government Internship Program and Special Program for Employment of Students.
The labor chief said this initiative is in support of the Duterte administration’s agenda of achieving just and lasting peace by reaching out to former rebels and provide them with sustainable livelihood and employment opportunities to address the root causes of violent extremism.
Galvez, for his part, expressed hope that this partnership will help in transforming six MILF camps into peaceful and resilient communities.
“We hope that through this collaboration, DOLE will continue to provide support during the succeeding stages of the normalization program and bring us closer to our vision of achieving ensuring peace and sustainable development in Bangsamoro,” Galvez said.
MANILA, Philippines – The government on Monday vowed to bring to justice the perpetrators of an attack that killed seven members of the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF).
In a statement, Presidential Peace Adviser Carlito Galvez Jr. expressed his apologies and sympathies to the families of the former MILF combatants who were slain by an attack claimed to have been carried out by an Islamic State (IS)-linked terror group.
“In solidarity with the leadership of the MILF, the government will assist in every way possible the families of these slain MILF fighters,” Galvez said.
“We will exert all efforts to make sure that justice will be served to the perpetrators of this dastardly act,” he added.
The MILF members were killed after the IS-linked group, Turayfe-Dawla group attacked their camp near Shariff Saydona in Maguindanao last week.
The Turayfe-Dawla is a faction of the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters which opposes the peace agreement that the MILF signed with the government.
Galvez said the attack demonstrates the “brutality of these terror groups, and the violent methods they will utilize to sow fear, anger, and discord among the populace.”
“Their twisted ideology does not recognize ethnicity nor religion. They have no place in a humane, peaceful society,” he added.
The Cabinet official further said the government recognizes the gallantry of these former MILF fighters who fought against the terror group.
“For us, they are heroes who made the ultimate sacrifice so that their people can live in peace,” he said.
In the previous weeks, the MILF began the decommissioning of its weapons and combatants as part of the peace treaty they forged with the government aimed at ending the decades-long separatist insurgency in Mindanao.
Decommissioned MILF fighters also received socio-economic assistance.
“As we sympathize with our Moro brothers and sisters for their loss, I would like to call on the Filipino to unite so that we can address the roots of violent extremism, and bring enduring and long-lasting peace to our nation,” Galvez said.
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.