Malabon hospital limits ops after patient lied about COVID-19 exposure
Robie de Guzman • May 20, 2020 • 970
MANILA, Philippines – The Ospital ng Malabon (OsMal) has temporarily suspended the operation of its second floor after it was found that a pregnant woman, who gave birth in its delivery room, did not disclose that she came from a barangay that was placed under lockdown due to high cases of novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19).
The Malabon City government announced on Tuesday that the second floor of the public hospital will be closed from May 20 to 24 for disinfection.
The second floor houses the hospital’s Ob-Gyne clinics, pediatric ward, delivery and surgical services.
The city government said the woman concealed that she came from Barangay 12 in Caloocan, currently under total lockdown, during an interview with a hospital staff.
“Bago siya dinala sa operating room, tinanong siya kung siya po ay na-expose sa COVID-19 at may mga tanong po sa kaniya na may kinalaman din sa COVID-19 at nagsinungaling po siya,” said Bong Padua, chief of Malabon City Public Information Office.
She later tested positive when she underwent a rapid testing conducted by her attending health care workers.
In a Facebook post, Malabon City Mayor Lenlen Oreta said the woman will undergo swabbing to confirm whether she is indeed infected with COVID-19.
She has been referred to the local government of Caloocan City while her newborn baby remains at OsMal.
The 13 health workers who were exposed to the woman has been placed under quarantine.
The city government said its legal office is preparing charges against the woman for violation of Republic Act 11332 or the Mandatory Reporting of Notifiable Diseases and Health Events of Public Health Concern Act.
The OsMal has previously limited its operations after some of its workers contracted coronavirus disease. – RRD (with details from Correspondent Asher Cadapan Jr.)
MANILA, Philippines – Senator Ronald “Bato” Dela Rosa has been discharged from the hospital after a bout with novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19), his office said Friday.
In a message to reporters, his office said Dela Rosa will continue taking his medicines at home and will be placed under home quarantine as advised by his doctors.
His staff on Thursday said Dela Rosa was admitted to the hospital on Nov. 23 after developing fever, cough, and colds so that he could be monitored better, and that his condition is already improving.
The former Philippine National Police chief confirmed that he tested positive for COVID-19 on Nov. 21, after the Senate wrapped up the period of debates for the proposed 2021 budget.
Dela Rosa said he and three other members of his household contracted the virus.
Dela Rosa was the fifth senator to be infected with COVID-19 this year. His colleagues, Senate Majority Leader Juan Miguel Zubiri, Senators Sonny Angara, Aquilino “Koko” Pimentel, and Ramon “Bong” Revilla all recovered from the viral respiratory disease. – RRD (with details from Correspondent Harlene Delgado)
MANILA, Philippines — President Rodrigo Duterte has issued an executive order to fast-track COVID-19 vaccine procurement for early vaccine distribution, according to Malacañang.
Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque Jr. said the President has issued Executive Order (EO) No. 121 granting an Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) for drugs and vaccines for COVID-19.
Based on the Executive Order, the President will grant the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) the authority to provide Emergency Use Authorization for medicines for the treatment of COVID-19.
“Kung magkakaroon ng emergency use utilization, ang mga rehistrado sa mga foreign FDA na mga bakuna, mapapabilis po ang pag-issue ng authority to use it under EUA to 21 days. Normally po kung wala itong Executive Order na ito it will take as long as six months,” Roque said.
The Palace official added that the EUA will be good for the country as it will pave the way for ending the pandemic and the return to normalcy. AAC
Twenty-five Business Process Outsourcing (BPO) employees in Subic tested positive for COVID-19 after holding two parties in November.
According to Subic Bay Metropolitan Authority (SBMA) Health and Safety Department Dr. Solomon Jacalne, out of the 65 employees of a BPO company that attended the two parties, 25 of them are currently under quarantine.
“Contact tracing indicated that the employees who tested positive of Covid-19 either attended the parties or were exposed to co-workers who went to the said social gatherings,” he said.
Jacalne said the employees attended a beach party in Olonggapo City and a pool party in Zambales. He also said several of the workers did not accurately declare their health condition which might also have contributed to the surge of COVID-19 cases.
SBMA Chairman and Administrator Wilma T. Eisma said the surge in cases would have been avoided if the employees followed the minimum health protocols.
“This was the lesson some employees of a business process outsourcing company here recently learned the hard way after attending parties that might have served as super-spreading events,” she added.
Eisma said the agency will conduct an investigation on the incident and will implement additional safety measures in work areas of the concerned company. AAC (with reports from Leslie Huidem)
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.