Magnitude 7 Davao quake warning dismissed

UNTV News   •   February 25, 2017   •   3667

DAVAO, Philippines — After a magnitude 4.7 quake hit Davao City on Thursday, an information is now circulating in some social media sites warning Davaoeños of a strong quake that may hit the city anytime between February 24 until March 8.

The message states that the movement of the Surigao to Mati fault will trigger a quake with a magnitude of 7 or more.

However the Office of the Civil Defense (OCD) said the information is not true.

OCD 11 Operations Staff Franz Irag said, “Wala po tayong available na equipment na pwedeng magamit para ma predict kung kailan tatama ang nasabing earthquake (We do not have available equipment that could predict when an earthquake may hit) .”

The OCD strongly suggests that the public only rely on legitimate sources like the Philippine Volcanology and Seismology or PHIVOLCS when it comes to earthquakes.

The agency also appeals to the public not to share any unverified information so as not to cause panic or confusion.

But the OCD advises everyone to be ready because we could never tell when a strong quake may happen.

History also tells us that in 1924 the Davao Region was hit by  an 8.3 magnitude quake following the movement of the Surigao to Mati fault.

WATCH: PHIVOLCS urges government to have backup system for powerful earthquake

As a matter of precaution, the OCD advises everyone to be knowledgeable on what to do when an earthquake hits.

Irag added, “Know the basic procedures yung tinatawag natin na duck, cover and hold technique sa earthquake and evacuation drill na ginagawa natin.”

(Know the basic procedures, such as the duck, cover and hold technique which we do during earthquake and evacuation drills.)

It is also wise to prepare a survival kit in our homes that could last for 3 days.

“Yung mga pwedeng laman nung tinatawag natin na emergency kit is yung tubig, ekstrang gamot sa sipon, ubo kung saka sakali, and yung mga ekstrang damit, pagkain, tubig, flashlight, battery operated radios and yung nga important documents,” OCD 11’s Irag reminded.

(The emergency kit must contain water, medicines maybe for cough and colds, extra clothes, food, flashlight, battery operated radio and our important documents.) — Victor Cosare / UNTV News & Rescue

WATCH: PHIVOLCS: Keeping your home safe from West Valley Fault 

 

 

Sara Duterte says people with COVID-19 symptoms should be barred from boarding sweeper flights

Robie de Guzman   •   May 29, 2020

Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte urged government agencies in-charge of facilitating sweeper flights for its residents stranded in Manila not to allow those who show signs of novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) or those infected with the virus to board the aircraft.

Duterte made the call on Thursday following reports that several returning Davao residents through special flights tested positive for the dreaded viral disease.

Last week, four overseas Filipino workers aboard a sweeper flight tested positive for COVID-19. A few days later, two more persons who came home through another special flight failed to pass the city health office’s health screening.

“Kinahanglan nato i-screen ang mosulod, and kinahanglan pud nato i-screen ang mogawas because dapat dili makasakay ang Covid-19 positive nga tao and dapat dili pud makasakay ang naga manifest og symptoms,” she said.

(We need to screen those coming in and going out because people infected with COVID-19 should not be allowed to board the flight as well as those who are exhibiting symptoms.)

She explained that screening at the airport is necessary to stop the virus from spreading to other people and places.

In line with this, the presidential daughter said a screening station will be established at the Davao International Airport to ensure that all individuals boarding their flights when commercial operations resume are free of the disease.

She said the screening station will be manned 24/7 by the City Health Office

“Gi-ingnan nato ang atoang City Health Office nga to prepare a 24-hour rotational scheme nga mag duty sa airport. Sa new normal, kung sundon ang distancing, kung masunod ang limit sa flights, mga around 2,000 a day ang mogawas,” she said.

(We have directed our City Health Office to prepare a 24-hour rotational scheme for those who will be on duty in the airport. In the new normal, if the social distancing measure and flight capacity limit will be observed, around 2,000 people will depart.)

The city government has so far accommodated 2,266 inbound passengers and 3,635 outbound passengers since April 29.

Sara Duterte asks other LGUs to stop restricting travelers within Davao region

Robie de Guzman   •   May 28, 2020

MANILA, Philippines – Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte called on other local government units not to restrict the movement of people within areas in the Davao region that are under general community quarantine (GCQ).

Duterte issued the statement during an interview over Davao City Disaster Radio on Wednesday following reports that some workers traveling from Davao Oriental and Davao de Oro to Davao City are being required to present documents and undergo a 14-day quarantine before granting them passage to Davao del Norte.

“That’s what I’ve been saying, for those of you who are ranting on Facebook, Sirs and Ma’ams, you should have prepared for this during the ECQ (enhanced community quarantine) because movement between GCQ areas would be allowed,” she said, apparently referring to officials of LGUs in neighboring areas.

Citing Section 7 (3) of the Omnibus Guidelines on the implementation of the community quarantine in the Philippines issued by the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF-MEID), Duterte said the interzonal movement of persons between areas placed under GCQ for any purpose other than leisure is permitted.

“Is employment a leisure? It’s not, so they are allowed to move. There is a confusion on your part that you need to resolve,” she said.

The mayor also said that subjecting workers passing through the province to Davao City to a two-week quarantine was “unreasonable.”

“It’s unreasonable that those who are just passing through your area to return to work (in Davao City), who are not even working in your area will be subjected to a 14-day quarantine. I don’t think it’s right preparation,” she said.

The entire Davao region, including Davao City, is under GCQ from May 16 to May 31.

The presidential daughter said that if other LGUs continue to restrict the movement of people to and from their areas then they should have instead opted for an extension of enhanced community quarantine implementation.

“Kung dili mo gusto magpasulod sa inyohang LGU, ipasaka mo to an ECQ because during an ECQ dili pwede mosulod, dili pwede mogawas. But during a GCQ, kung ang imohang silingan GCQ, ikaw GCQ, pwede mo magbiyahe for Category I, II, III na offices and establishments for work,” she said.

(If you do not allow entry, you raise your (quarantine level) to ECQ because during ECQ you don’t allow entry and exit. But during GCQ, if your neighbor is GCQ and you are GCQ, you can travel to offices and establishments categorized as I, II, III for work.)

In another statement, she, however, clarified that she is not intimidating nor dictating other local leaders about movement restrictions.

Instead, Duterte said she only requested them to refrain from asking “unnecessary” documents from people traveling to their areas.

“Ang ginaingon lang nako sa ilaha, ayaw pangayui ang tao og travel order, mangayo pa sila og seal, mangayo pa og tinuod nga pirma nako because that is not required. Ayaw ninyo pangayui ang mga tao og ing-ana. Kung ang tao moingon nga empleyado sila, di ba allowed man mo-move for work, kung ang tao moingon siya nga nagatrabaho ko diha, pangitai ninyo og ID,” the mayor stressed.

(What I told them is not to ask for a travel order, a (Davao City) seal, my original signature because that is not required. Don’t ask people for that. If the persons say they are workers are they not allowed to move for work? You can ask for an ID.)

Mayor Sara also pointed out that prohibiting the entry of people through lockdowns does not guarantee protection from the coronavirus.

She said LGUs should instead ready their local government for the possible surge of COVID-19 patients.

“Ang makaprotect po sa imoha is mag andam ka imohang prevention measures, mag-andam ka sa imohang detection especially sa inyohang surveillance, mag-andam mo sa inyohang testing,” she said.

(What will protect you is your prevention measures, prepare your detection measures especially with surveillance, and ready with testing.)

“So dapat nangita na mo og mga tao dinha sa inyohang lugar nga ginasubmit ninyo for testing because naga manifest sila og symptoms sa COVID-19. Mag andam po mo og treatment ug reintegration. Mao dapat na ang nagafunction karon nga GCQ na ang inyohang area,” she added.

(So look for the people you submitted for testing if they manifest the COVID-19 symptoms. Prepare treatment and reintegration. That is how you function under GCQ.)

Muling pagbiyahe ng provincial buses sa Davao, ipinagpaliban

Robie de Guzman   •   May 25, 2020

MANILA, Philippines – Ipinagpaliban muna ang nakatakda sanang pagbabalik-operasyon ngayong araw ng pampublikong provincial buses na bumibiyahe mula Davao City papunta sa iba’t ibang lalawigan sa Davao region.

Ayon sa management ng Davao City Overland Transport Terminal (DCOTT), hindi pa umano handa ang mga lokal na pamahalaan ng mga karatig-lugar na tumanggap ng mga pasaherong manggagaling sa Davao City na may naitalang mga kaso ng novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19).

“Dili musugot atong mga kasigpit nga municipalities and provinces, di pa sila ready nga mudawat sa atoang mga pasahero nga maggikan diri sa Davao City because they don’t have facilities yet pa daw, hatagaan pa nato silag panahon,” ani Aisa Usop, ang head ng DCOTT.

(Ayaw pumayag ng mga kalapit nating municipalities and provinces, hindi pa sila ready na tumanggap ng ating mga pasahero na manggagaling dito sa Davao City because they don’t have facilities pa raw. Bibigyan natin sila ng panahon.)

Ayon kay Usop, humihingi pa ng karagdagang panahon ang mga karatig-lalawigan na makapaghanda ng isolation centers para sa mga pasaherong maaaring makitaan ng sintomas ng COVID-19.

Nasa ilalim na ng general community quarantine (GCQ) ang Davao City simula noong May 16 at ngayong araw sana nakatakda ang pagbalik sa operasyon ng provincial buses sa Davao Region.

Nilinaw naman ng Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board na hindi pa talaga maaaring bumiyahe ang lahat ng provincial buses dahil hindi pa naiisyuhan ng special permit ang mga ito.

Sa ilalim ng GCQ guidelines, maaaring payagang bumiyahe ang ilang piling uri ng transportasyon sa isang lugar kung may special permit ito at nakakasunod sa health and safety protocols.

Kabilang sa protocols ang pagsusuot ng face mask para sa mga pasahero, driver at konduktor; ang pagpapatupad ng mga hakbang bilang pagsunod sa social distancing measures gaya ng pagmamarka sa mga upuan kung saan lang maaaring pumuwesto ang mga pasahero; kailangan ding gumamit ng cashless o contactless na paraan sa pangongolekta ng pasahe upang mabawasan ang physical contact.

Nakasaad rin sa guidelines na limitado lang ang bilang ng mga pasaherong maaaring isakay sa mga pampublikong bus, jeep, taxi at traysikel upang maiwasan ang pagsisiksikan. – RRD (mula sa ulat ni Correspondent Marisol Montaño)

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.