Lunar New Year event in Binondo to push amid novel coronavirus risk

Robie de Guzman   •   January 23, 2020   •   531

Filipino-Chinese revelers scramble to get candies in celebration of the Chinese New Year at Manila’s Chinatown, Philippines, 08 February 2016. Filipino-Chinese communities welcome the Year of the Monkey, holding various activities and practices traditionally believed to bring good fortune for revelers. EPA/FRANCIS R. MALASIG

MANILA, Philippines – Organizers of festivities connected with the Chinese New Year celebration on January 25 said the countdown event scheduled in Binondo on Friday will still push through amid the threat of novel coronavirus spreading internationally.

Thousands of people are expected to troop on Binondo streets during the countdown event on Friday night, making the transmission of the virus from an infected person very likely in this kind of environment.

Cholo Sediaren, one of the organizers of the Chinese New Year in Manila, said they are closely coordinating with local authorities for the safety of the participants amid the threat of a new coronavirus strain which has already killed 17 in China.

“Hopefully we’ll be able to pull off na would be enjoyable but at the same time be safe for everyone especially since the line-up is really big and we are expecting a lot of people to attend,” Sediaren said.

Authorities in the District of Binondo – also known as Manila’s Chinatown – said they are on alert against the disease and distributed face masks to their constituents to prevent them from getting the virus.

They also advised residents not to join the festivities if he or she is feeling under the weather or are having flu-like symptoms such as cough, fever or colds.

The National Health Commission of China reported that as of Wednesday, more than 500 people have been infected by the new coronavirus strain. There are eight other known cases from other countries – Thailand has four confirmed cases, while Japan, Taiwan, South Korea, and the United States have each reported one.

The previously unknown coronavirus strain was first detected in the Chinese City of Wuhan in late December 2019.

In the Philippines, there is no confirmed case yet of the new coronavirus strain according to Health Secretary Francisco Duque III. However, they are monitoring several individuals from China who were reported to have manifested symptoms of respiratory illness.

Common symptoms of novel coronavirus include cough, throat irritation, and fever.

Coronavirus, which is a large group of viruses common among animals, causes respiratory infections ranging from common colds to more serious diseases such as Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) and Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS).

The virus can be transmitted to humans through contact with an infected person or animal, authorities said.

The Department of Health has advised the public to always practice frequent handwashing, avoid crowded places and contact with an infected person, and to thoroughly cook food, especially meat and dairy products. – RRD (with details from Correspondent Asher Cadapan Jr.)

LOOK: Sta. Ana Hospital in Manila gives warm send off to recovered COVID-19 patients

Aileen Cerrudo   •   April 3, 2020

Pagsikat ng araw, may dalang liwanag…

It’s a win for Sta. Ana Hospital in Manila. In the middle of the intense battle against coronavirus disease (COVID-19), five patients have recovered from the virus.

They have tested negative for COVID-19 and were allowed to go home. Healthworkers and other staff from the hospital gave the recovered patients a warm send off before they return home to their families.

The battle is not yet over but it’s the small victories that give hope of better days. Manila Mayor Isko Moreno Domagoso thanked the frontliners for their hard work.

“Thank you, our dedicated healthcare workers. Thank you Lord,” Domagoso said in his Twitter post.

Haharapin natin…

Diskriminasyon sa frontline workers, mga may COVID-19, PUIs at PUMs, bawal sa Maynila

Robie de Guzman   •   April 3, 2020

MANILA, Philippines – Maaari nang makulong at pagmultahin ang sinumang mangungutya, mangha-harass o gagawa ng anumang uri ng diskriminasyon sa mga taong nag-positibo sa novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19), mga patient under investigation (PUI), person under monitoring (PUM) at maging sa mga health workers sa lungsod ng Maynila.

Inaprubahan ni Manila Mayor Francisco “Isko Moreno” Domagoso ang city ordinance number 8264 o ang Anti-COVID-19 Discrimination Ordinance of 2020 noong Huwebes, ika-2 ng Abril.

Sa ilalim ng ordinansa, ipinagbabawal sa lungsod ang anumang uri ng pamamahiya o diskriminasyon, at pangha-harass sa mga PUI, PUM at mga taong kumpirmadong dinapuan ng COVID-19.

Bawal rin ang paninira, pagpapakalat ng sensitibong impormasyon, o paglikha ng negatibong impresyon sa publiko o sa social media tungkol sa positibo o pinaghihinalaang kaso ng coronavirus.

Ito ay maliban kung ang pasyente mismo ang nagbigay ng basbas upang magamit ang kanyang pribadong impormasyon tungo sa layuning medikal tulad ng “contact tracing”.

Hindi rin maaaring harangin ang mga PUI, at PUM, pati na ang mga medical workers at frontliners na nais umuwi sa kanilang tinutuluyang bahay kung sila ay may maipapakitang COVID-19 clearance mula sa mga health officials.

Pino-protektahan rin ng ordinansang ito laban sa maling pagtrato at pambabastos ang mga doctor, nurse, frontliners, volunteer workers at iba pang mga kawani sa health at service sector.

Ang sinumang mapapatunayang lumabag sa ordinansang ito ay pagbabararin ng danyos na limang libong piso at maaaring makulong ng hindi hihigit sa anim na buwan.

Sa pinakahuling tala, umaabot na sa 127 ang kumpirmadong kaso ng COVID-19 sa Maynila.

Sa naturang bilang, 19 na ang nasawi at 10 naman ang gumaling. Nasa 337 naman ang kabuuang bilang ng mga PUI.

Teenage boy dies in London after testing positive for coronavirus

UNTV News   •   April 1, 2020

A 13-year-old boy in London who tested positive for coronavirus has died, a hospital said on Tuesday (March 31).

“Sadly, a 13-year old boy who tested positive for COVID-19 has passed away, and our thoughts and condolences are with the family at this time,” King’s College Hospital said in a statement.

“The death has been referred to the coroner and no further comment will be made.”

The number of deaths from coronavirus in the United Kingdom rose by 27% as the UK government said 1,789 people have died in hospitals as of 1600 GMT on Monday, an increase of 381 from Sunday, the largest rise in absolute terms yet. (Reuters)

(Production: Gerry Mey, Michael Fiorentino)

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.