LTO begins distribution of license plates

Marje Pelayo   •   July 5, 2018   •   3875

 

QUEZON CITY, Philippines – The Land Transportation Office (LTO) began on Thursday (July 5) its distribution of license plates in LTO regional offices for car owners who registered their vehicles in 2016.

The license plates may be claimed at LTO authorized district offices. Car owners may also coordinate with their respective dealers for the license.

The ceremonial plate distribution was led by Transportation Secretary Arthur Tugade and LTO Chief Assistant Secretary Edgar Galvante at the LTO Central Office in East Avenue, Quezon City.

“Iyong tinatawag nilang republikang walang plaka ay hindi na totoo pagkat ngayong araw na ito maguumpisa ng maisyu at mairelease yung mga plaka,” Tugade said.

Based on LTO’s record, the agency was able to produce more than 200,000 license plates through the agency’s newly opened plate-making facility. These number covers car registrations up to December 2016.

LTO, however, clarified that the distribution of plates will not be done in bulk but by schedule to ensure proper and appropriate distribution.

Meanwhile, vehicles registered from 2013 to 2016 are not covered by the distribution pending approval from the Commission on Audit (COA). LTO said they are still awaiting COA’s resolution on the three million backlog plates included in a contract in question.

“May napipintong resolusyon ito  at as soon as the COA disallowance is resolved makakapagproceed na kami on how to treat the previous contract,”

Likewise, there is no distribution of plates for motorcycles, according to LTO, pending finality of a legislation approving the change in the size of motorcycle plates. – Joan Nano / Marje Pelayo

DOTr defends bid to grant emergency powers to Duterte

Maris Federez   •   September 5, 2019

Transportation Secretary Arthur Tugade

The Department of Transportation (DOTr) on Thursday (Sept. 5) appealed to the House of Representatives (HOR) to grant emergency powers to President Rodrigo Duterte.

This is to give the government more latitude in addressing the traffic problems, particularly in Metro Manila.

While DOTr Secretary Arthur Tugade agrees to the lawmakers that several traffic strategies can be implemented even without any grant of emergency powers to the executive, he said such implementation will be slow and might not still be completed even after their term in office has ended.

Tugade further said government projects that are aimed at solving the traffic problems in the country may even be stalled by the long processes in the bureaucracy and even by some laws, such as, on the Right of Way.

To which some members of the House disagree.

“In other countries, no emergency powers were granted to the executive to solve the traffic congestion,” said Albay 1st District Representative Edcel Lagman.

Tugade, on the other hand, said, “emergency power is not forever. It has a defined time. In fact, sinasabi ho namin noon at uulitin ko ngayon, yung emergency power noon was between two to three years kung naibigay ho noon yan [we’d been saying ever since, and I’m saying it again, the emergency powers (we’ve been asking then) was between two and three years, if it had been granted then].”

Earlier on Thursday, the DOTr presented to the House their P147-billion proposed budget for 2020.

A major portion of this will be allocated to the railway sector with P108-billion budget, or equivalent to 98.78% of the department’s total budget.

The department believes that improving the railway sector will be a big help in easing the transportation problems not just in Metro Manila but in other key areas in the country as well. (from the report of Vincent Arboleda) /mbmf

DOTR signs order permanently allowing hatchbacks, sub-compact cars to operate as TNVS

Robie de Guzman   •   July 19, 2019

MANILA, Philippines – Hatchback-type and sub-compact cars will now be allowed to operate as transport network vehicle service (TNVS) units, the Department of Transportation (DOTr) said on Friday.

DOTr Secretary Arthur Tugade signed the department order which was announced by Transport Assistant Secretary Goddess Libiran to media.

“Sec. Tugade signs the Department Order permanently allowing hatchbacks and sub-compact cars as TNVS units,” Libiran told reporters in a message.

A copy of the order has yet to be furnished to the media.

The formal signing of the department order follows Tugade’s directive on Thursday for the Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board (LTFRB) to implement its Memorandum Circular (MC) No. 2018-005, which allows hatchback units to operate as public transport on certain conditions.

Tugade issued the instruction following complaints from stakeholders on the matter.

“Kung kailangang baguhin ang ilang dokumento, baguhin. Kung kailangang i-improve, dapat i-improve,” Tugade said in a statement.

DOTr TO LTFRB: IMPLEMENT MC; ALLOW HATCHBACKS, DELISTED TNVS TO OPERATE ANEWDepartment of Transportation (DOTr)…

Posted by Department of Transportation – Philippines on Thursday, 18 July 2019

Under MC 2018-005, all accredited hatchback units shall be allowed to operate as public transport provided that they only operate during the transition period of three (3) years, only in Metro Manila, and charge a lower fare.

However, only hatchback units that were among the 55,000 units in the masterlist and whose applications were filed from March 5 to December 15, 2018 are entitled to the benefit granted by MC 2018-005.

DOTr Undersecretary for Road Transport and Infrastructure Mark Richmund de Leon earlier said the LTFRB will need to amend its memorandum to allow the permanent classification of hatchbacks as TNVS units, and to re-enlist TNVS units that were previously removed from the masterlist.

He further cited that the inclusion of hatchbacks in the TNVS fleet will greatly benefit the commuting public.

“We are giving the commuters their transport options. Kung gusto niya na mas mura ang biyahe niya, mag-hatchback siya,” he said.

Philippines’ biggest port passenger terminal opens in CDO

Robie de Guzman   •   July 16, 2019

MANILA, Philippines — The Department of Transportation (DOTr) announced that the country’s biggest passenger terminal has been opened at the Port of Cagayan de Oro on Monday (July 15).

The DOTr said the building, which is located within the Passenger Terminal Complex of the port, is a massive two-story structure with a total floor area of 5,597 square meters.  

The new terminal has a capacity of 3,000 passengers, triple its previous capacity.

DOTr Secretary Arthur Tugade, led the inauguration of the new passenger terminal building, together with Philippine Ports Authority (PPA) Manager Jay Santiago and PPA Port Manager for Misamis Oriental/Cagayan de Oro, Isidro Butaslac Jr.

“I have inaugurated many terminals during our term, and the truth is, this is the biggest passenger terminal building in the Republic of the Philippines. Ito ‘hong proyektong ito ay magbibigay tibay sa kagustuhan ng ating Pangulo na magkaroon ng mobility and connectivity sa Visayas at Mindanao (this project will fulfill the President’s wish of achieving mobility and connectivity in the Visayas and Mindanao),” Tugade said in a statement.

“With this terminal, you will have a convergence of people for mobility that will lead to economic growth,” he added.

The PTB features brand new facilities that are expected to enhance the safety and security of the riding public. It includes security checkpoints with x-ray scanners for baggage, body scanners, CCTVs, passenger boarding stations, collector’s booth, public assistance desk, designated green areas, storage room, and offices for passenger-related agencies such as quarantine, tourist police, and the Coast Guard, the DOTr said.

It also features amenities such as a play area for children, child care station, ecumenical prayer rooms, drinking fountains, toilet facilities, urgent medical care room, food stalls, pasalubong centers, and a special boarding lane for senior citizens, PWDs, pregnant women, and women traveling with children below two years old.

Aside from the new passenger terminal building, also inaugurated on Monday were the Port of Cagayan de Oro’s new electronic gate complex and the Opol Port in Misamis Oriental.

Meanwhile, the DOTr also announced that the terminal fee exemption for students has started on Monday in all PPA-owned and operated ports nationwide. Senior citizens, PWDs, and active personnel from the Philippine National Police (PNP), Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP), and the Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) are also exempted from paying terminal fees.

READ: Students to get free train rides, airport and seaport terminal fees – DOTr

The department earlier said that students, senior citizens, persons with disabilities, and selected uniform personnel in active service would get free rides as part of the government’s efforts to provide Filipinos comfortable lives.

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

(+632) 8920.8336 (Fax)

info@untvweb.com (General inquiries)

support@untvweb.com

UNTV News and Rescue Emergency Hotlines:

LANDLINE (+632) 8396-8688

ADVERTISE WITH US

(+632) 8 442.6244 Loc. 143, 144, 162, 164

advertising@untvweb.com

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.