LTFRB urges public to report corruption cases involving its employees

admin   •   August 23, 2016   •   3354

LTFRB urges public to report corruption cases involving its employees

LTFRB urges public to report corruption cases involving its employees

 

“I’m telling the public now and I’m urging the public now to come out in the open. Name names, amounts, time and place to identify who is involved in corruption in this agency.”

This is what Land Transportation and Franchising Regulatory Board (LTFRB) Chairman Martin Delgra has to say as a challenge to the public help stop the rampant corruption in the agency.

Several personnel in five LTFRB regional offices are now under investigation because of some cases of corruption.

Delgra confirms that during his visit at the offices in the Cordillera Administrative Region and regions 1, 3, 11 and 12. He has discovered and proven that there were malpractices and questionable transactions that took place.

“There were fictitious franchises that were discovered,” Delgra said. “There has been a number of issues regarding sale and transfer of franchises. (…) We have gathered 4 boxes of case records of franchises that were issued during the time when, and even until now there is a moratorium.”

It can be recalled that the LTFRB has already stopped the selling and transferring of franchises nationwide earlier this month as it was, according to the agency, one of the causes of corruption.

Also, starting tomorrow, the LTFRB will temporarily suspend the nationwide operation of resealing stations of taxi meters because of some reports of corruption the agency has received.

“Some taxi operators give already money to those in charge of the sealing so they give around. rate in Taytay, Rizal is 150 pesos. In Davao City, Region 11 it is 50 to 100 pesos,” LTFRB board member Atty. Aileen Lizada said. — Yoshiko Sata

Malacañang leaves it to PAO Chief to decide on resigning amid corruption complaint

Marje Pelayo   •   August 15, 2019

Public Attorney’s Office (PAO) Chief Persida Acosta

MANILA, Philippines – Malacañang is letting Atty. Persida Acosta to decide on whether or not to resign as Chief of the Public Attorney’s Office (PAO) following complaints of corruption.

PAO lawyers filed the complaint at the Office of the Ombudsman accusing the PAO Chief and forensics chief Erwin Erfe of corrupt practices in relation to the disbursements and allocation of the PAO budget.

Acosta and Erfe allegedly committed a ‘systematic scheme’ in diverting P13 million of the agency’s budget for office supplies for drafting Dengvaxia-related cases.

Presidential Spokesman Secretary Salvador Panelo, meanwhile, said that knowing President Rodrigo Duterte, his trust in his officials remains unless reports of irregularities are proven.

“Si President, hangga’t walang findings of probable cause, palaging andun ang trust (President (Duterte’s) trust on a person remains unless there is no finding of a probable cause),” Panelo said.

“Pero kung may probable cause na, ibang usapan iyon, then there will be suspension galing sa Ombudsman. Hindi naman teritoryo ni president iyon (But once a probable cause is established, that’s a different story. There will be suspension coming from the Ombudsman. It is no longer the President’s territory),” the Palace Spokesman concluded. – MNP (with details from Mai Bermudez)

2 Cabinet officials under probe for corruption – PACC

Marje Pelayo   •   August 14, 2019

President Rodrigo Roa Duterte presides over the 40th Cabinet Meeting at the Malacañan Palace on August 5, 2019. KING RODRIGUEZ/PRESIDENTIAL PHOTO

MANILA, Philippines – The Presidential Anti-Corruption Commission (PACC) launched an investigation in February against two Cabinet officials of the Duterte government following complaints of corruption.

According to PACC Commissioner Greco Belgica, the two Cabinet officials are aware that they are under probe and even President Rodrigo Duterte has been informed of the ongoing investigation.

Belgica, however, refused to name the concerned Cabinet members before the press.

“Ang investigation kasi doesn’t mean they are already guilty, so it’s unfair to mention them and make it appear na they are corrupt,” he said.

The PACC official said they are about to conclude the probe afterwhich, they will submit the report to the President who will then decide on the fate of the two Cabinet officials.

Meanwhile, the PACC hopes that more Cabinet members will voluntarily submit themselves for lifestyle checking as part of the administration’s anti-corruption drive.

“That will be honorable on their part to do,” Belgica noted.

Among those who first submitted for lifestyle checking were Transportation Secretary Arthur Tugade and newly installed Mindanao Development Authority Chief former Agriculture Secretary Emmanuel Piñol.

Based on PACC records, about 200 staff and officials from various government offices are now being investigated due to corruption complaints.

Among them are from the Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office (PCSO); the Bureaus of Customs and Internal Revenue; the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH); the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR); and the Department of Transportation (DOTr). – MNP (with details from Rosalie Coz)

QC Court stops implementation of Edsa provincial bus ban

Robie de Guzman   •   August 2, 2019

MANILA, Philippines – A local court has temporarily stopped the implementation of the highly-contested proposal to ban provincial buses from plying Epifanio delos Santos (Edsa).

In an order dated July 31 and released on August 2, the Quezon City Regional Trial Court Branch 223 has granted the writ of preliminary injunction filed by 18 transport groups against the scheme.

The QC court said it found “just cause” to stop the ban and schedule the case for hearings.

The court said it needs to hear the side of the defendants of the case – the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) and the Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board (LTFRB) considering that “the matter on hand greatly impacts the welfare of the public.”

The proposed policy of the MMDA and the LTFRB prohibits provincial buses from traversing Edsa to decongest traffic. It also seeks to revoke business permits and shut down the operation of all provincial bus terminals located along Edsa.

The LTFRB also amended last month the routes for provincial buses traveling along the major thoroughfare.

A dry run for the policy is supposed to begin on August 7.

The court notes in its order that these measures would have “far-reaching effects” to the businesses, employees and other contracts of provincial bus companies. It added that the shortened routes would also affect the salary of employees.

“While as a rule, the right to income or earning does not prevail over public welfare, in the instant case since the Court has as yet not been presented with a clear basis or sufficient justification for the issuances, there is no reason to consider these issuances to have priority over the Plaintiffs’ rights as well as those that would suffer from their implementation,” the order read.

The court also asked the MMDA and the LTFRB on why point-to-point (P2P) buses are given privilege of plying Edsa even if their sizes were similar to those of regular buses.

It further said that since the said agencies failed to file a response, “no explanation or study has been presented to this Court to aid the latter in determining whether the provincial buses are indeed the cause of ‘horrendous traffic’ and if their ban and closure of their terminals is the best solution.”

“In view of the absence of any evidence on behalf of the Public Defendants, the evidence provided so far by the Plaintiffs tend to show that indeed, there was abuse in the issuance of the subject LTFRB MC and MMDA Regulation,” the order read.

The court gave the Office of the Solicitor General (OSG), which represents the MMDA and the LTFRB, until August 14 to file a response to the case.

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+63) 396-8688 (Tel)

(+63) 2 920.8336 (Fax)

info@untvweb.com (General inquiries)

support@untvweb.com

UNTV News and Rescue Emergency Hotlines:

LANDLINE (+63) 396-8688

ADVERTISE WITH US

(+63) 2 442.6244 Loc. 143, 144, 162, 164

advertising@untvweb.com

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.