LTFRB orders preventive suspension against 10 Dimple Star buses
by UNTV News | Posted on Thursday, March 22nd, 2018
LTFRB board member Atty. Aileen Lizada checks the tires of a Dimple Star Bus (Joan Nano / UNTV News)
MANILA, Philippines — Following an inspection on Wednesday by personnel of the Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board (LTFRB) at the terminal of Dimple Star bus firm, the agency prohibited two bus units of the company.
The two bus units were supposed to travel to Iloilo but were found to have bald tires with holes.
The thread near the bus tires was already loose, while one of the units had no document.
Because of this, LTFRB banned the two buses from operating, while its passengers were transferred to other bus firms.
“Bakit nadidispatch ang ganitong klase ng bus? (Why are they allowing buses like these to be dispatched?) Where is the safety protocol or measure ng Dimple Star?” LTFRB board member Atty. Aileen Lizada said.
Although the inspection caused inconvenience, passengers were glad that the LTFRB discovered the defects.
“Malaking abala to pero buhay to. Dapat talaga bago sila umaalis, talagang sinisiguro nila na safe ang mga pasahero,” said bus passenger, Salnie Francisco.
(It is a huge inconvenience but live are at stake. Before buses leave, they should ensure the safety of passengers.)
Meanwhile, the LTFRB imposed a 30-day preventive suspension on the firm’s 10 bus units with routes from Manila to San Jose Occidental Mindoro following the fatal accident on Tuesday that left 19 people dead and more than 20 others injured.
Aside from this, the LTFRB will also summon the bus operator, Hilbert Napat, and will be ordered to explain why their franchise should not be revoked or cancelled, and to identify the negligence of the company in the said accident.
The LTFRB set the hearing in connection with the case on April 18.
Meanwhile, the officials of the Passenger Accident Management and Insurance Agency (PAMI) will travel to Occidental Mindoro to process the financial assistance the relatives of the victims will receive.
Aside from this, the operator of Dimple Star bus also provided financial aid to the victims. — Joan Nano| UNTV News & Rescue
by UNTV News | Posted on Thursday, August 9th, 2018
MANILA, Philippines — Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) General Manager Jose Arturo said a total ban of provincial buses on EDSA is unlikely for now based on the current state of the Valenzuela Interim Terminal.
Valenzuela City Mayor Rex Gatchalian joined MMDA and Land Transportation and Regulatory Board (LTFRB) officials at the inspection of Valenzuela Interim Terminal to assess if it can operate as a station for provincial buses starting August 15.
Aside from the ongoing construction works inside the terminal, MMDA noted several issues that need to be addressed.
Among these are the establishment of designated areas for provincial and city buses; management of queues for jeepneys, buses and UV Express vans that share the terminal; and completion of waiting sheds for passengers.
The MMDA has directed the Valenzuela City government to fast track the completion of the interim terminal within a month.
Valenzuela City Mayor Rex Gatchalian said, “Give us a little bit more time. Di naman matagal na matagal, para maiayos lang yung terminal condition at tsaka yung mga sasalo na vehicles.”
Nevertheless, the MMDA will still implement on August 15 the ban of provincial buses on EDSA during rush hours.
This means that starting August 15, MMDA personnel will begin apprehending provincial buses on EDSA from 7am to 10am and 6pm to 9pm. Violators of the ordinance will be fined P2,000.
MMDA General Manager Jose Arturo Garcia said, “Yung dry run natin na kapag ang bus galing ng north, hanggang Cubao lang sila. Kapag galing south, hanggang Pasay. Pinahinga lang natin yung Cubao to Magallanes kasi ginagawa yung Shaw Boulevard.”
The Provincial Bus Operators Association has previously voiced opposition to the policy but they admit that they can do nothing if the MMDA will implement it. — Joan Nano
by UNTV News and Rescue | Posted on Wednesday, July 25th, 2018
OCCIDENTAL MINDORO, Philippines – Flood water in most parts of Occidental Mindoro has started to recede following days of non-stop monsoon rains.
The National Road leading to the towns of Sablayan and San Jose via Abra De Ilog and Sablayan that was submerged in waist-deep flood is now open to motorists.
About 90% of residents who evacuated during the onset of the storms have already returned to their homes.
“Nag-subside na ang baha bagaman may mga natitira pang mga evacuees pero majority, 90 percent ay umuwi na sa kanilang mga tahanan at naglilinis na sila ngayon,” said PDRRMO Officer Mario Mulingbayan.
(The flood has subsided. Although there are still some evacuees, 90 percent of evacuees have returned to their homes and are now cleaning up debris.)
Based on the assessment of the Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office (PDRRMO), the weather systems left a total of P32.5 million worth of damage in the province’s crops and around P11 million worth of damage in infrastructure.
The provincial government vows to provide assistance to affected residents while repair works on the damaged roads and bridges are now ongoing.
“Ongoing na tayo sa pagpapadala ng equipment. Nagconduct na tayo ng monitoring ng mga engineer natin sa probinsiya at munisipyo. Nagkaroon na ng assessment at tuloy-tuloy na ang paggawa,” said Mulingbayan.
(Sending of equipment is ongoing. Our engineers have conducted the monitoring of provinces and municipalities. Assessment has been made and operations are underway.) – Sherwin Culubong / Marje Pelayo
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.