LTFRB to fast track pending franchise applications of TNVS
by admin | Posted on Wednesday, July 19th, 2017
MANILA, Philippines — The Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board (LTFRB) has vowed to fast track the processing of thousands of pending franchise applications of transport network vehicle services (TNVS)
For this reason, the agency has put up one-stop-shop at its main office where more than 3,000 drivers who were first granted with franchises, will be able to apply for the renewal of their provisional authorities as well as certificates of public convenience (CPC).
On Wednesday the LTFRB’s technical working group had their meeting with the representatives of Uber and Grab, to tackle the issues about their system.
Uber and Grab management committed to provide the agency a complete list and detailed information of their operations.
This will serve as the basis of the LTFRB, to come up with a concrete plan on how to settle the problems with thousands of TNVS.
LTFRB clarified that as of now, they will prioritize the expedited processing of around 11,000 pending franchise applications that were filed even before the moratorium was issued.
Meanwhile the agency stood firm that it will resume arrests of “colorum” TNVS on July 26.
Transportation Department on the other pointed out that they understand the need for better public transportation, but insisted that there is an existing law that Uber and Grab must follow.
“Let’s take it as it is. We really have a problem with our public transportation but that doesn’t mean that we will bend the rules,” DOTr Road Transport Undersecretary Thomas Orbos said.
Some drivers are worried about the negative impact of these issues on their livelihood.
Grab driver Paulo Ortiz said, “We were given application to travel on the roads, however, we have this kind problem. How are we going to pay for our car loans?
Meanwhile, Uber driver Ronnie Francisco said, “If we had been informed about the moratorium, I think we would not have applied for a car loan.”
On July 26, all apprehended TNVS will be fined of P120,000 with vehicles subject for impounding for a period of 3 months. — Joan Nano |UNTV News & Rescue
by Marje Pelayo | Posted on Monday, May 20th, 2019
MANILA, Philippines – The management of the Light Rail Transit Authority (LRTA) has ordered the creation of a fact-finding committee that will investigate the train crash incident on Saturday (May 18).
More than 30 people were injured on Saturday evening after a train parked on the “pocket track” near Anonas Station moved on its own and headed toward the main railways eastbound to Cubao.
The train’s control center noticed the movement of the parked train and immediately notified the approaching train but it was too late for the latter to make a full stop.
“For unknown reason, which is still the subject of further investigation through a fact-finding which is being instructed by the administrator, gumalaw ang supposedly na sira na tren,” said DOTr’s Undersecretary for Finance Garry de Guzman.
Operations in LRT Line 2 was temporarily suspended for safety check.
It was mid afternoon the next day, Sunday (May 19) when the LRT-2 services resumed.
The LRTA management and the Department of Transportation (DOTr) assured the public that what happened was an isolated case while measures were being set up to prevent a repeat of the incident in the future.
“Kung mababawasan ang mga tumatakbong LRT (trains), natural may epekto iyan,” Transport Secretary Arthur Tugade noted.
(If running trains will be reduced, that surely has an effect.)
“Pero sa ganyang management, titingnan lahat iyan para nang sa ganoon, ang epekto sa operasyon ay hindi unnecessarily wide and deep,” he added.
(With that kind of management, everything will be assessed so that the effects on the operation will not be unnecessarily wide and deep.)
LRTA is expected to issue an official statement on the exact cause of the incident after its investigation. – Marje Pelayo (with details from Asher Cadapan Jr.)
by Robie de Guzman | Posted on Wednesday, May 15th, 2019
MANILA, Philippines – The Civil Aeronautics Board (CAB) will not fine Cebu Pacific over its series of flight cancellations from April 28 to May 10, the Department of Transportation (DOTr) said on Wednesday.
The DOTr explained that no fines will be imposed after CAB found that the concerns of passengers affected by the flight cancellations have been handled properly.
“Affected passengers’ concerns were found to be handled properly by Cebu Pacific in compliance with the Air Passenger Bill of Rights. Thus, the imposition of penalties was not considered at present,” the DOTr said in a statement.
Instead, the CAB directed Cebu Pacific to submit within 30 days a concrete plan stating measures it will take to prevent further inconvenience to passengers.
“We are hoping that Cebu Pacific will immediately comply with the order to resolve this issue. Hindi na natin maibabalik pa ‘yung dinulot na inconvenience these cancellations have caused. But moving forward, we aim to have more substantial actions so that our passengers will not have to suffer,” DOTr Secretary Arthur Tugade said.
The air transport regulator also recommended that a stern warning be given to Cebu Pacific to exercise diligence necessary in maintaining stability and reliability of air transport service to the riding public.
The DOTr said that during its hearings held on May 2 and May 6, Cebu Pacific said that it was forced to cancel hundreds of its flights due to ongoing efforts to improve on-time performance (OTP) as its aircraft takes 49 to 66 minutes before being able to take off.
The flight cancellations will “create space” in their flight and crew inventory, “make way for operational recovery,” and “minimize rolling delays,” the Cebu Pacific noted.
CAB also found that the airliner had a “crewing problem,” as it concluded that “the additional time spent by the on-duty crew on the tarmac consumes the working hours and reserves that were supposed to be utilized at a much later schedule.”
While the CAB understands the cancellations as a recuperative measure for the airline, it pointed out that it cannot be made at the expense of the riding public.
“We want to remind airlines to consider the welfare of its passengers by avoiding short notice. The people have paid for these flights and have made their schedules accordingly,” CAB Executive Director Carmelo Arcilla said.
“While we understand the corrective measures being made to improve OTP, maximum effort should be done so that these measures are not at the expense of our passengers,” he added.
For the DOTr’s part, Secretary Tugade has directed the daily publication of airline OTP in major airports nationwide.
The DOTr noted Cebu Pacific’s OTP was pushed to an average of 51.16%, with lows of around 30% in March due to the hour-long stay on the tarmac. (with details from Joan Nano)
by Robie de Guzman | Posted on Friday, May 10th, 2019
MANILA, Philippines – Motorcycle ride-hailing company Angkas may now operate legally in the country beginning next month, the Department of Transportation (DOTr) announced on Friday.
After months of public clamor, motorcycle taxis can start picking up passengers again without fear of apprehension.
In a statement, Transportation Secretary Arthur Tugade said he had approved the pilot operations of motorcycle taxis in Metro Manila and Metro Cebu from June until the end of 2019.
“Inaasahang magsisimula ang pilot implementation ng motorcycle taxi operations, katuwang ang ride-hailing service na Angkas, sa unang bahagi ng Hunyo o isang buwan matapos lagdaan ni Secretary Tugade ang General Guidelines sa pilot implementation, at kasunod ng pagpapatupad ng naaayong public awareness campaign,” he said.
However, Tugade clarified that the operation is just a test run for six months to help lawmakers finalize proposals on motorcycle ride booking.
“Importante ang pilot implementation na ito upang ma-refine pa natin ang general guidelines, at masilip ang mga posibleng problema sa proseso o sa standards, nang sa gayon ay makatulong tayo sa pagbabalangkas ng batas na talagang akma sa mga pangangailangan at kaligtasan ng ating mga commuter,” Tugade said.
He also reminded motorcycle taxi drivers to follow safety requirements, like wearing helmet and reflectorized vest; observing the 60-kilometer per hour speed limit and maintenance of motorcycle’s condition.
“Mariin naming binabalaan ang mgaride-hailing servicena sumunod sasafety requirements sa kanilang operasyon. Huwag ninyong sayangin ang tiwalang ipinagkaloob namin sa inyo sa pagbibigay ng serbisyo publiko sa mga commuter,” Tugade said.
The management of Angkas and its over 27,000 motorcycle units have welcomed the good news.
“We are very happy that Secretary Tugade is looking into this… We will definitely provide all the necessary updates on the application and also on the information campaign to the public,” said George Royeca, the head of Angkas regulatory and public affairs.
Angkas’ operation was suspended in November 2017 by the Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board (LTFRB) for operating without business permit and violating the land transportation and traffic code.
Angkas challenged the suspension order before the Mandaluyong Regional Trial Court, which issued a preliminary injunction against the order in September 2018.
After it resumed operations, the Supreme Court issued in December a temporary restraining order against Mandaluyong court ruling, suspending Angkas’ operations. (with details from Joan Nano)
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.