Lorenzana: Alleged order for Andal to do back channel talks a ‘fake news’
by Marje Pelayo | Posted on Wednesday, January 16th, 2019
MANILA, Philippines – Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana on Tuesday (January 15) said there was no order from President Rodrigo Duterte to Movie and Television Review and Classification Board (MTRCB) member Avelino Andal to do back channel talks with the Communist Party of the Philippines-New People’s Army (CPP-NPA).
Lorenzana called Andal’s claim as ‘fake’.
“Latest info on Billy Andal’s claim that he was tapped by PRRD to conduct back channeling with the CPP/NPA. It is fake news. The President says he never ordered him to do so,” Lorenzana said in a text message to reporters.
The Defense Secretary said the President himself clarified that he never ordered Andal to take such role to represent the government in negotiation with the communist group.
Earlier on Tuesday, Andal said in a phone interview that the President made a directive for him in relation to the resumption of the back-channel negotiations.
“Actually napag-utusan ang inyong lingkod at utos mula sa presidente na kung maaari ay i-resume ang pag-uusap. Sapagkat ang kaniyang pinagdidiinan ay bilang presidente, siya ay kaibigan at hindi kaaway ng mga rebelde,” Andal said.
In a press briefing, Presidential Spokesperson Salvadar Panelo did not confirm such backchannel order but he expressed confidence that such a move would definitely bring positive results.
“What is important to me is if there is one, then the CPP-NPA at this time and for a change should listen to the president, and most likely they may at this time to the urgings of the president,” he concluded. – Marje Pelayo (with reports from Lea Ylagan)
by Marje Pelayo | Posted on Tuesday, May 8th, 2018
President Rodrigo Roa Duterte presides over the 25th Cabinet Meeting at the Malacañan Palace on May 7, 2018. TOTO LOZANO/PRESIDENTIAL PHOTO
The Office of the Presidential Adviser on the Peace Process (OPAPP) revealed that informal back-channel talks are now taking place in Europe for the possible resumption of peace talks.
In a statement issued Tuesday, May 8, OPAPP said Presidential Peace Adviser Jesus Dureza and Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello III have briefed President Rodrigo Duterte on Monday that “the efforts to resume peace negotiations with the CPP/NPA/NDF are underway, with informal back-channel talks now taking place in Europe.”
Dureza and Bello informed the President that his clear directives were being relayed “across the table.”
The discussions were having “initial positive results,“ according to Dureza while Bello said the team would return home soon to personally brief the President on the results.
“We are doing our best to meet the deadline set by the President about the resumption of talks within 60 days,” Bello added. – Rosalie Coz | UNTV News & Rescue
MANILA, Philippines — The office of the Presidential Adviser on the Peace Process is mandated to push for the continuance of the formal peace talks with the leftist groups amid the challenges and problems the country is facing.
Despite the cancellation of the 5th round of peace talks, Presidential Peace Adviser Secretary Jesus Dureza said government peace negotiators will hold back-channel talks with the National Democratic Front of the Philippines (NDFP).
“So right now, efforts are ongoing on a backchannel in order to possibly come up with that enabling environment that would make it for us, in the Philippine side, ready to meet again on the fifth round of talks,” Dureza said.
However, there is no definite date and venue yet for the planned back channel talks until now.
Nonetheless, the proposed topics of discussions in the said discussion will be the demand of President Rodrigo Duterte to stop the New People’s Army from doing extortion activities.
“These are matters that we’ll take up with them hopefully in the backchannel that will happen very soon,” said Dureza.
The government cancelled the fifth round of peace talks after the Communist Party of the Philippines ordered the NPA to intensify its attacks against government forces.
This, amid the declaration of martial law in Mindanao due to the rise of terrorism and rebellion caused by the ISIS-inspired local terrorist groups. — Rosalie Coz | UNTV News & Rescue
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.