Local police on full alert after death of ASG sub-leader, cohorts

Marje Pelayo   •   June 14, 2021   •   383

MANILA, Philippines – Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief P/Gen. Guillermo Eleazar on Monday (June 14) placed concerned police offices and units on full alert.

This is in response to the operation against Abu Sayyaf Group members in Jolo, Sulu that led into an encounter and neutralization of four of its members.

Among those killed were Mundi Sawadjaan’s brother, Al-Al Sawadjaan; ASG sub-leader Injam Yadah; an ASG member identified as Raup; and another unidentified ASG member.

“I am tasking the local police to go on full alert dahil ine-expect din po natin na posibleng gumanti ang mga natitirang miyembro lalo’t kapatid ni Mundi Sawadjaan ang isa sa mga napatay sa engkwentro,” PGen Eleazar said.

“Sinisiguro ko po sa publiko na hindi po namin hahayaang makapaghasik ng kaguluhan ang grupong ito,” added the PNP chief.

PGen Eleazar assured that the police and military will further intensify joint operations to capture Mundi and the remaining bandits.

“We are doubling our efforts to capture Mundi and his men. We will intensify our coordination with the Armed Forces of the Philippines as well as our intelligence gathering efforts to combat this group and stop their attacks on innocent civilians,” said PGen Eleazar.

He also urged the public to remain vigilant and immediately report to authorities if they have information that can help locate the bandits.

State security forces were about to serve a warrant of arrest against Yadah when the Abu Sayyaf terrorists fired at them, prompting the police and the military to retaliate.

Authorities said Yadah was involved in kidnapping incidents while Sawadjaan had knowledge on bomb-making. His brother, Mundi, was the alleged mastermind of the twin blasts in Jolo last year.

Ombudsman junks CIDG petition vs Abayalde anew

Maris Federez   •   November 26, 2021

MANILA, Philippines — The Office of the Ombudsman has rejected anew the motion filed by the Philippine National Police-Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (PNP-CIDG) seeking the reversal of the decision to acquit former PNP chief Police General Oscar Abayalde of graft charges filed against him.

In its resolution, the Ombudsman said the CIDG’s motion still lack sufficient evidence that will pin down Abayalde to the case.

The resolution added that the CIDG did not submit new arguments that will prove the involvement of the retired general in the case.

The CIDG filed graft charges against Abayalde for his alleged involvement in the anomalous drug operation of police authorities in Pampanga in 2013. —/mbmf

Eleazar orders nighttime patrols for holiday carolers

Robie de Guzman   •   November 11, 2021

MANILA, Philippines — Outgoing Philippine National Police (PNP) chief Guillermo Eleazar on Thursday directed police personnel to begin nighttime patrols after the government approved the conduct of street caroling this holiday season.

In a statement, Eleazar said the patrols should be conducted to ensure the security and safety of carolers.

“Inatasan ko ang ating kapulisan na mag-umpisang magsagawa ng mga patrolya tuwing gabi para sa seguridad ng mga nangangaroling at para na rin siguraduhing sumusunod sila sa health protocols,” he said.

Eleazar also urged the public to continue observing health protocols and to not be complacent amid declining COVID-19 cases in the country.

“Kahit pa bumababa ang kaso ng COVID-19, hindi ito dahilan upang maging kampante at magpabaya sa pagsunod sa minimum public health standards,” he said.

The Department of Health earlier said that carolers must wear face mask and face shield as individuals expel more respiratory particles when singing, posing the risk of COVID-19 transmission.

Eleazar urges support for next PNP chief Dionardo Carlos

Robie de Guzman   •   November 11, 2021

Outgoing Philippine National Police (PNP) chief Police General Guillermo Eleazar on Wednesday urged the police force to rally behind the leadership of his successor, Police Lieutenant General Dionardo Carlos.

Carlos was appointed by President Rodrigo Duterte to replace Eleazar, who is set to retire on Friday, November 13 as he reaches the mandatory retirement age of 56.

“The President has decided, now is the perfect time for the PNP to express our unity and solidarity behind the chain of command as we welcome a new leader who will ensure continuity of command in our organization,” Eleazar said in a statement.

Eleazar said Carlos needs all the support to face the challenges and accomplish the mission to eradicate criminality and illegal drugs in the country.

“The mission ahead is as huge as the responsibility that rests on the shoulders of General Carlos. I wish him all the best in the new post even as I offer myself in my humble capacity as a retired PNP Chief in whatever assistance I can provide,” he said.

Carlos is a member of Philippine Military Academy Maringal Class of 1988.

Prior to his appointment as the country’s top cop, he served as PNP spokesperson and chief of the Aviation Security Group. He also headed the PNP Directorial Staff.

He will serve as PNP chief until his retirement on May 8, 2022.

 

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.