Local officials oppose placing Sulu province under martial law
Aileen Cerrudo • August 27, 2020 • 293
Local officials in Sulu have expressed their opposition to the recommendation of several authorities to put the province under martial law after the twin blast incident on Monday (August 24).
Sulu Governor Abdusakur Tan said martial law was already implemented before and it still had not curbed terrorism in the province. He recommended, instead, for the government to increase its efforts to implement the Anti-Terrorism Law.
“Iyong Anti-Terror Law sobra-sobra pa iyan sa martial law. Dapat intindihin muna nila ang Anti-Terror Law. Sisirain lang nila ang pangalan ng Sulu (The Anti-Terrorism Law is already too much compared to martial law. They should focus first on the Anti-Terror Law. They will just tarnish the name of Sulu),” he said.
Jolo, Sulu Mayor Kerkhar Tan said the province does not need martial law. Authorities should have a focused military operation on verified terrorist camps in order to attain peace in Sulu.
“Nag-martial law na tayo, nag-martial law ang Mindanao, mayroon ding nangyaring bombing dito sa amin (Martial law was already implemented here before, in Mindanao. There are still bombings),” the mayor said.
Local officials appeal to residents to coordinate with authorities if they encounter any suspicious activities or individuals in their area.
Meanwhile, Department of Justice (DOJ) Secretary Menardo Guevarra said the decision to implement martial law in the province will be up to President Rodrigo Duterte.
“Any decision to impose martial law will depend on the existence of a factual basis; that is, whether or not there is actual rebellion or invasion, and whether or not public safety requires the imposition of martial law,” he said. “Only the president has the necessary information to make this determination.”
Malacañang previously said the President is considering the recommendation of the Philippine Army to put Sulu under martial law after the recent twin blasts in Jolo. -AAC (with reports from Dante Amento)
MANILA, Philippines – Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque on Thursday said he will ask President Rodrigo Duterte if he is willing to voluntarily release his statement of assets, liabilities, and net worth (SALN) following the strict rules imposed by the Ombudsman on the access to the wealth declaration of officials.
Roque said the president’s office is just following the guidelines issued by the Ombudsman.
“Mag-uusap po kami ng ating president at para matapos na po itong issue na ito, ay tatanungin ko po baka naman po magbigay ng permiso ang president para isapubliko ang kaniyang SALN,” he said.
The Ombudsman recently issued a memorandum circular restricting access to the SALN of public officials.
The circular states that a copy of a public official’s SALN may only be released if the requestor is an authorized representative of the declarant or the person who filed the document; if there is a court order in relation to a pending case, and if the request is made by the Ombudsman’s field investigation units.
Prior to the issuance of the circular, Roque said Duterte had released his SALN yearly.
“Wala pong itinatago ang ating president, bago po maglabas ng ganitong guidelines ang Ombdusman, taon-taon naman po inilalabas ng president ang kaniyang SALN,” he said.
The question of whether Duterte will voluntarily publicize his own net worth resurfaced after the 2019 SALN of 24 senators were released by the Senate on Thursday. – RRD (with details from Correspondent Rosalie Coz)
MANILA, Philippines – A proposed executive order that will impose a price cap on coronavirus disease (COVID-19) tests is now awaiting the signature of President Rodrigo Duterte, Malacañang said Thursday.
Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said the Department of Health’s (DOH) Technical Working Group (TWG) submitted the proposal after completing its review on the recommended price cap.
Roque refused to divulge the recommended price ceiling on coronavirus testing in private hospitals and laboratories but he expressed optimism that the president will approve the proposal.
“Hintayin po muna natin ang desisyon ng president. Why is that? Kasi yung iba naman, napakataas ng sinisingil, alam naman natin, pwedeng mas mura yang testing na yan,” he said in a televised briefing.
Roque said the proposal seeks to make COVID-19 testing affordable and could help boost the government’s contact tracing and mass testing efforts.
“Para mas maging affordable ang testing sa ating mga kababayan ng sa gayong paraan ay mas maraming matetesting,” he said.
The DOH earlier recommended the placing of a price ceiling after observing differences in the COVID-19 testing cost in various laboratories and hospitals in the country. – RRD (with details from Correspondent Rosalie Coz)
MANILA, Philippines – Department of Justice (DOJ) Secretary Menardo Guevarra on Tuesday said that the order for him to conduct a government-wide probe of corruption is his “toughest” assignment ever received from President Rodrigo Duterte.
In a taped speech aired on Tuesday morning, Duterte directed the DOJ to expand the role of its task force, which probed the alleged anomalies in the Philippine Health Insurance Corporation (PhilHealth), to cover the entire government.
He also authorized the DOJ to decide on which allegation to investigate taking into consideration the gravity thereof and their impact on the delivery of government service.
The chief executive also granted DOJ the power to create as many panels as necessary and direct other government agencies to be part of such committees.
Duterte said his directive will remain in effect until the end of his term on June 30, 2022 unless sooner lifted or revoked.
“Apart from my usual responsibilities as SOJ, this new assignment is the toughest I have ever received from the President,” Guevarra said in a message to reporters.
“I will need all the support and cooperation of the entire government machinery to achieve this singular objective of substantially reducing corruption in government,” he added.
Considering the scope of the task, Guevarra said he will first determine the overall strategy and the order of priorities as well as the setting up of the expanded anti-corruption task force.
“Tentatively, I am thinking of creating several strike forces that will simultaneously attack various corruption-prone agencies,” he said.
Guevarra also said that he intends to immediately focus on the organizational set-up and mechanism that will carry out the president’s directive.
The Justice Secretary added that it would also help if government workers and other people would come forward to provide the task force with the necessary information to uncover corrupt activities and identify perpetrators.
“The new and expanded anti-corruption task force will take it from there,” he said.
The DOJ already leads an inter-agency task force, formed in August, that probed alleged corruption in the PhilHealth which resulted in the filing of complaints against several officials, including former PhilHealth president Ricardo Morales. – RRD (with details from Correspondent Dante Amento)
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.