LGU suspends classes in 8 schools in Itogon, Benguet

Marje Pelayo   •   October 17, 2018   •   2392

BENGUET PROVINCE, Philippines – Classes have been suspended since last week for at least 2,000 elementary and high school students in the town of Itogon.

Itogon Mayor Victorio Palangdan ordered the suspension of eight schools in the municipality starting October 10.

This is because the said schools sit on areas which the Mines and Geosciences Bureau (MGB) declared as high risk.

“Nakakatakot because ang statement ng MGB-Manila sabi nila because saturated na ang soil, anytime babagsak ang mga eskwelahan na ito,” said Mayor Palangdan.

The local government cannot tell yet as to when they will order the resumption of classes as they have not identified a permanent relocation site for the students.

The LGU and the Department of Education (DepEd) are also awaiting the result of the re-assessment conducted by the MGB as to which schools are still safe for use or recommended for abandonment.

For now, the LGU is preparing learning tent centers as temporary classrooms. – Marje Pelayo (with reports from Grace Doctolero)

TAGS   ,

200 miners and families locked down inside bunkhouse in Itogon, Benguet

Marje Pelayo   •   October 27, 2020

BENGUET PROVINCE, Philippines — A total of 200 miners and their families have been locked down inside a bunkhouse in a mining community in Itogon, Benguet after a number of miners tested positive for coronavirus disease (COVID-19).

The local government and health officials in the area have agreed to subject all bunkhouse occupants to the same COVID-19 management protocols being applied to positive cases.

According to Governor Melchor Diclas, inside the bunkhouse were also the 44 miners who first contracted the disease. 

“Ang nag-positive dyan ay 40 plus another nadagdagan kaya mga 50. Kaya ang decision diyan dahil walang paglalagyan pa na quarantine facility kaya ginawa natin na yung bunkhouse na ang quarantine facility o isolation facility doon, (Around 40 people initially tested positive then the number increased to more than 50. So we decided, since there is no quarantine facility available, the bunkhouse itself will be their quarantine facility or isolation facility),” the governor said. 

All positive cases are confined on the third and fourth floors of the building while those who are not sick occupy the ground floor and second floor as they await the result of their swab tests.

While they are inside the bunkhouse, the local government is currently working on establishing an isolation facility where the infected families will be transferred.

On Thursday (October 22), another 74 miners were among the 93 new COVID-19 cases reported in the province, the highest number since the outbreak started in the Cordillera region.

Most miners and their families who tested positive for the disease were from crowded mining communities of Stio Luneta in Barangay Loacan, Sitio Sangilo in Poblacion, Sitio Balatoc in Virac and Barangay Ampucao.

Overall, the province has reported a total of 872 confirmed COVID-19 cases, 426 of which recovered and 11 died of the disease. MNP (with reports from Grace Doctolero)

TAGS   ,

DSWD lauds Benguet town residents for waiving slots in SAP

Aileen Cerrudo   •   May 4, 2020

The Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) has lauded the village residents in Benguet for waiving their Social Amelioration Program (SAP) slots.

Thirty-five residents in Barangay Gambang in Bakun, Benguet opted not to receive their emergency cash subsidy under SAP to accommodate more qualified families.

“The individuals’ families were initially targeted as SAP beneficiaries, but they voluntarily waived their slots prior to validation so that other families in need in their communities will be accommodated in the program,” the DSWD said in a statement.

There are a total of 74,369 SAP beneficiaries in the Benguet Province with  2,439 family beneficiaries in the town of Bakun. AAC

Viral Video: Car rams into fastfood chain in La Trinidad Benguet

Aileen Cerrudo   •   July 23, 2019

A video of a car that rammed into a fastfood chain in La Trinidad, Benguet on Tuesday (July 23) has gone viral on social media.

According to the video uploader, the incident happened around 12:30 p.m. He also said there were no casualties from the incident including the driver.—AAC

Isang Kotse, Inararo ang McDo LTB#CordilleraShoutoutsNews 23 July 2019. Isang oras mahigit, isang Motor Vehicular na aksidente ang nangyari sa McDo La Trinidad.✍ Admin TIW (The Igorot Wanderer)🎥 Boong Ag#CordilleraShoutouts

Posted by Cordillera Shoutouts on Monday, 22 July 2019

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.