Mother Julita Alartino worries about her son 18-year-old son who has been diagnosed with dengue.
“Kinakabahan nga ako, hindi ako mapakali. Okay man siya tumigil na ang kaniyang lagnat kahapon kaso nagkaroon siya ng rashes at mababa ang kaniyang [platelets] pinapakain ko siya ng prutas, (I worry and I feel restless. His fever subsided since yesterday but he has rashes and his platelet count is low. I give him fruits to eat),” she said.
Julita did not come to work in order to care for his son.
From January 1 to 20, there had been 160 reported cases of dengue in Murcia. This is 344 percent higher compared to the 34 cases reported in the same period last 2018.
MANILA, Philippines – Malacañang said it is open to considering the return of the controversial Dengvaxia vaccine to address the rising number of dengue cases in the country.
“We’re always open to anything that will benefit the Filipino people. We’re not closed to any suggestion,” Presidential Spokesman Salvador Panelo said.
Panelo made the statement in response to former Health Secretary now Iloilo 1st District Rep. Janette Garin’s claim that the recent dengue outbreak could have been prevented if the Dengvaxia vaccination hadn’t been discontinued.
Panelo clarified, however, that though Malacañang is open to the idea, there has to be a thorough and extensive discussion with experts to support any call for the return of Dengvaxia.
“Ang mga experts, hindi nagkakasundo diyan. May nagsasabing pwede, may nagsasabing hindi pwede, (Experts cannot agree. Some say [Dengavxia] is good, others say it’s not),” Panelo said.
“So we need to thoroughly investigate exactly the situation involving the Dengvaxia,” he added.
In November 2017, the government stopped the implementation of Dengvaxia vaccine after its manufacturer, Sanofi Pasteur, warned that it might cause severe symptoms if given to individuals who have no prior dengue infection.
It led to the so-called ‘Dengvaxia scare’ where a number of children died after allegedly receiving Dengvaxia shots. The cases however, remain under investigation.
“If the weight of findings show that there is benefit using Dengvaxia against dengue, then certainly the government should consider it,” Panelo concluded.
Based on the latest record of the Department of Health (DOH), dengue cases in the country have already spiked to 130,463 from January 1 to July 13 this year, double in number as compared to the same period last year which is only 67,690 cases.
The number of deaths this year is at 561, almost double from last year with only 367 deaths.
The national dengue alert remains in effect as more areas declare dengue epidemic including Western Visayas, CALABARZON, SOCKSARGEN, Northern Mindanao, Central Visayas and the National Capital Region (NCR).
According to Health Undersecretary Eric Domingo, dengue this year is considered a global health issue because of the observed cycle of dengue virus infection which spikes every three years.
“2019 worldwide is really shaping up to be with one those highly burdened years for dengue,” Domingo confirmed.
The DOH is set to convene its regional offices to ensure that concerns regarding dengue are properly addressed and under control.
The Department, as always, reminds the public to maintain cleanliness of surroundings and keep protected especially the children from dengue carrying-mosquitoes. – Aiko Miguel contributed to this report
The Department of Health has released its latest record of dengue cases which have already ballooned to more than 130,000.
This is double the recorded cases in the same month of 2018.
More than 500 fatalities had also been reported this year.
“Dumadami pa rin ang cases natin and nag-activate naman na tayo ng Regional Health Clusters ng NDRRMC [The number of cases continues to grow. We are once again activating the Regional Health Clusters of the NDRRMC],” DOH spokesman, Usec Eric Domingo said.
National Dengue Alert remains hoisted due to the increase of the number of areas that are already in the Dengue Epidemic Level.
This includes the Western Visayas, Calabarzon, Socsksargen, Northern Mindanao, Central Visayas, and the National Capital Region.
Dengue has also been considered as a global health issue in 2019 because of the cycle of the dengue virus infection that balloons in number every three years.
“2019 worldwide is really shaping up to be with one those high burden years for dengue,” Domingo added.
With this, the DOH will meet with the officials of the 17 regions in the country on Friday (Aug. 2) to be ensured that the dengue problem in their areas is controlled and addressed.
The health department also reminds the public to maintain cleanliness in their surroundings to ensure that there are no breeding grounds for dengue mosquitoes. (with details from Aiko Miguel) /mbmf
MANILA, Philippines – Governor Arthur “Toto” Defensor Jr. declared on Friday (July 5) dengue outbreak in the entire province of Iloilo.
Defensor signed and issued Executive Order No. 2019-016 to intensify measures to lower the spread of the infection.
The governor also directed all district and provincial hospitals “to extend free service and necessary assistance” to all patients with dengue.
Likewise, he calls on all local government units (LGUs) and municipal health offices across the province to conduct “Do Day Kontra Dengue Drive” or province-wide cleanup operations every Saturday starting July 6.
According to the provincial government, there are now 3,897 dengue cases recorded in the province of Iloilo since January 1, 2019.
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.