Currency
    Emergency Hotlines: LANDLINE (+63) 2 911 – 8688

    Lenders under “5-6” scheme can be arrested: DOJ

    by UNTV News   |   Posted on Wednesday, January 11th, 2017

    Justice Secretary Vitaliano Aguirre II.

    Justice Secretary Vitaliano Aguirre II.

    Justice Secretary Vitaliano Aguirre believes that Indian nationals lending money under the so-called ‘5-6’ system can be arrested even without a warrant of arrest.

    The pronouncement came after President Rodrigo Duterte orders the arrest and deportation of foreigners engaged in the ‘5-6’ lending scheme in the Philippines.

    Sec. Aguirre said that the 20-percent monthly interest to those who loan money is no longer an acceptable practice.

    “They are operating without any permit or license,” Sec. Aguirre said. “They could be arrested without any warrant because when they are doing that, they are committing a crime.” — UNTV News & Rescue

    Tags: , , , ,

    Leave a Reply

    Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.

    DOJ denies Faeldon’s motion to transfer his case to the Ombudsman

    by UNTV News   |   Posted on Friday, October 20th, 2017

    jurisdiction on drug-related charges

    MANILA, Philippines – The Department of Justice (DOJ) has maintained that they have jurisdiction on drug-related charges even when high-ranking officials are involved.

    This as the DOJ rejected the motion of former Customs Commissioner Nicanor Faeldon asking for the transfer of the investigation on his case to the Ombudsman.

    Faeldon is one of the respondents in PDEA’s complaint for allegedly conspiring to smuggle over 600 kilos of shabu which was recovered in Valenzuela City.

    The DOJ has previously rejected a similar motion of Sen. Leila de Lima in relation to her illegal drug trading case.

    During Thursday’s hearing, Faeldon and other former Customs officials submitted their counter-affidavits.

    Faeldon said the allegation that he conspired to smuggle the drug shipment from China is baseless.

    He pointed out the principal complainant Norman Balquiedra has no personal knowledge of the events.

    Former Customs Intelligence chief Niel Estrella insisted that their inspection on the warehouse where the drug shipment was seized was legal.

    He added, the operation was properly coordinated with PDEA and they did not spoil the evidence.

    Forwarding company owner Richard Tan also maintained his innocence.

    In fact, he claims to be the informant that led the authorities to the drug shipment.

    “It’s a pity he was the one who help our agencies to seize the drugs and yet he was the one being charged now,” Tan’s lawyer Atty. Abraham Gutoc said.

    “It seems that Richard Tan is being made a convenient scapegoat, a convenient excuse,” he added.

    The DOJ will resume the investigation on November 3. – Roderic Mendoza | UNTV News & Rescue

    Tags: , , , , ,

    Solano’s testimony in Senate can be used as evidence in Atio hazing case – DOJ Aguirre

    by UNTV News   |   Posted on Tuesday, October 17th, 2017

    John Paul Solano

    MANILA, Philippines – The Senate may release Wednesday the testimony of John Paul Solano, the principal suspect in the death of Horacio “Atio” Castillo III.

    Solano’s statements should be confidential since it was given in an executive session with the Senators.

    But the Senate last week adopted a resolution that will allow its release if Solano fails to submit a sworn affidavit during the preliminary investigation of the DOJ.

    Sec. Vitaliano Aguirre said this could be a big help to explain Atio’s death in a suspected hazing incident.

    “If it is released, it will shed more light on what really happened during the initiation rites of the Aegis Fraternity,” Aguirre said.

    Aguirre further said the testimony could be used as evidence in the ongoing investigation.

    Solano is the one who brought Atio to the hospital where he was declared dead on arrival.

    “Since they decided to release it, there is legal basis for it. Otherwise, why would they release it without any legal basis and if it would be inadmissible,” Aguirre added.

    During the last hearing, Solano’s lawyer asked the DOJ to strike the testimony he had given to Manila Police out from the records of the case,

    Saying it was not properly subscribed to by his client.

    DOJ will resume preliminary investigation on the case next Tuesday. – Roderic Mendoza | UNTV News & Rescue

    Tags: , , ,

    LP senators deny hand on alleged ouster plot vs. PRRD

    by UNTV   |   Posted on Thursday, October 5th, 2017

    IMAGE_UNTV_NEWS_100517_OUST DUTERTE

    MANILA, Philippines — Senators allied with the Liberal Party (LP) have once again denied having plans to oust President Rodrigo Duterte.

    According to LP President Sen. Francis Pangilinan, the president just wants to divert the public’s attention away from the issues he is facing.

    “Ang concern natin dito ay ang conspiracy na nauwi sa pagpapalusot ng P6.5 billion na shabu sa BOC kasabwat ang mga drug syndicate. Ang conspiracy na iyon ang dapat ipinapaliwanag ng gobyerno,” said Pangilinan.

    (Our concern is the conspiracy that resulted in the entry of the P6.5 billion worth of shabu at the BOC in conspiracy with drug syndicates. And that conspiracy must be explained by the government.)

    For Sen. Bam Aquino, Liberal Party members have nothing to do with any effort to oust the president, adding that Duterte may just be making up the ouster plot issue.

    “Gaya ng kaniyang mga paratang sa bank account ni Senator Trillanes, he probably also made that up. Gawa-gawa lang po iyan. Hindi po totoo (Just like with the bank account of Senator Trillanes, he probably also made that up.  It’s just made up. These are not true.),” he said.

    Aquino also noted that criticisms against members of the opposition are not a good sign.

    “Secretary Aguirre has even created a group against what he calls the enemies of the state, including what he calls the ‘yellowtards’. This is already a political persecution,” said the senator.

    Meanwhile, according to the former chief of the Philippine National Police (PNP) and now senator, Panfilo Lacson, any plot to oust the president is impossible to succeed.

    “Pwedeng may nag-iisip, pero will they succeed? Ang 82% na approval at trust rating ng Pangulo, mukhang mahirap mangyari ang ma-oust siya through either people power or… military naman, unlikely because he’s so close with the military,” said Lacson.

    (It’s possible that someone is thinking about it, but will they succeed? With the 82% approval and trust rating of the president, it would be difficult to oust him through people power or…military is unlikely to do that because he’s so close to the military.)

    Solicitor General Jose Calida initially divulged that some groups and personalities are colluding to destabilize the president. — Nel Maribojoc | UNTV News & Rescue

    Tags: , , , , , , , ,