Legazpi City, Albay under state of calamity due to rabies

Aileen Cerrudo   •   June 27, 2019   •   7298

Image by skeeze from Pixabay

The local government of Legazpi City, Albay has declared a state of calamity to access funds which will be used to purchase of anti-rabies vaccines.

According to Dr. Emmanuel Estipona, officer-in-charge of the City Veterinary Office of Legazpi, they already ran out of anti-rabies vaccines.

Based on the record of the City Veterinary Office, the population of dogs in the city is around 22,000 but only 8,000 dogs have been vaccinated for this year.

Estipona said an anti-rabies vaccine is estimated to cost P50. They would need around P800,000 to vaccinate the rest of the dog population.

“Alarming ang case ng rabies. Once na may isang case ka diyan, considered as outbreak iyan kasi hindi iyan normal occurrence sa isang lugar lalo na sa Legazpi. We had 35 last year. In 2017, eleven lang, so nagti-triple, (Rabies is an alarming case. Once you have one case of [rabies], it is already considered an outbreak because that is not a normal occurrence in an area especially in Legazpi. We had 35 [cases] last year, in 2017 it was only 11 — it tripled),” he said.

The City Veterinary Office has warned of filing charges against dog owners who neglect their pets and leave them wandering in the streets.—AAC (with reports from Allan Manansala)

DENR finds violations in 14 quarry operations in Albay

Marje Pelayo   •   November 23, 2020

MANILA, Philippines — The Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) has found violations in 14 quarry operations in the province of Albay. 

This prompted the Department to suspend the operations of the said quarry sites located at the foot of Mount Mayon.

Among the notable violations is operating beyond the authorized area, according to DENR Undersecretary Jonas Leones.

“Ang paglabag na nakita namin doon ay iyong nag-exceed doon sa kanilang allowable area at iyong mga iba naman mga expired permits (We found some violations such as exceeding beyond the allowable area while some still operate despite expired permit),” Leones said.

The official noted that the companies operating the quarry sites may face administrative cases and a fine of P50,000 per violation.

It is also possible that they may be permanently closed if proven to have a history of successive violations. 

Leones said these quarrying operations could have contributed to the damaging lahar flow in San Francisco, Guinobatan in Albay during the onslaught of Super Typhoon Rolly.

Hundreds of houses and properties were seen covered with lahar after the typhoon.

Leones stressed that affected residents may sue the companies for compensation for the damage they have caused. 

Around 100 quarry operations are now under investigation by the DENR and those that have been cleared of violations will be allowed to resume operation, Leones said.

Meanwhile, the Triple B — Build, Back, Better— Task Force formed by President Rodrigo Duterte is currently conducting post-typhoon assessment in areas damaged by the recent calamities.

The task force formed through Executive Order 120 is composed of different agencies led by Environment Secretary Roy Cimatu.

Leones said the task force will meet on Friday (November 27) to discuss recommendations on how to rehabilitate the typhoon-ravaged areas specifically Cagayan, Isabela, Bicol and Marikina. MNP (with reports from Rey Pelayo)

DOH warns vs possible WILD disease outbreak due to consecutive typhoons

Aileen Cerrudo   •   November 20, 2020

MANILA, Philippines — The Department of Health (DOH) warned the public against the possible outbreak of waterborne and foodborne illnesses, influenza-like illnesses, leptospirosis and dengue (WILD) diseases after consecutive typhoons hit the country.

According to the Health Department, the widespread flooding and damage caused by the typhoons have brought health hazards to the public, especially the victims staying in evacuation centers.

Health Secretary Francisco Duque III assured that the department and local government units (LGUs) are prepared to prevent any possible outbreaks. He also added that the DOH has released guidelines to its regional offices for contingency measures.

“We are very wary of possible outbreak of communicable, waterborne and vector-borne diseases after disasters, lalo pa ngayong may pandemiya na maaring magdulot ng (especially during this pandemic which can cause) complex situation,” he said in a statement.

Duque also cited the importance of practicing minimum health and safety protocols in evacuation centers. AAC

TAGS   ,

Luzon placed under state of calamity

Marje Pelayo   •   November 18, 2020

MANILA, Philippines — President Rodrigo Duterte has approved the recommendation to place the entire Luzon region under state of calamity following the onslaught of consecutive typhoons.

The President announced on Tuesday evening (November 17) during his weekly public address that he signed the proclamation in response to the recommendation by the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC).

Based on NDRRMC’s latest report, Typhoon Ulysses caused P2.715-B worth of damage to agriculture and P5.25-B worth of damage to infrastructure.

This is on top of the total amount of damages left by previous cyclones Quinta and Rolly.

Under state of calamity, the national government and the local government units (LGUs) are given authority to use their respective funds to address the needs brought about by the calamity.

Meanwhile, the president stressed his intention to construct sturdy evacuation centers in the country following the devastation of evacuation centers from the recent cyclones.

He asked Congress to fund the construction of such structures as they serve as temporary shelter to victims of calamities and disasters.

“Iyon sana ang tugunan ng Congress kasi kapag ganitong deluge, [That’s something Congress must address because in times of a deluge] they tend to go to places for shelter and relief,” Duterte said.

“We build a strong structure, stronger than a typhoon that would come their way for people to stay. Maybe small rooms with many comfort rooms where people can really stay for a while,” he added.

To date, the NDRRMC reported a total of 73 individuals perished from Typhoon Ulysses in addition to only 25 from Super Typhoon Rolly — the strongest cyclone that hit the country this year. MNP (with reports from Rosalie Coz)

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.