Lawmakers favor placing ex-warden Gerald Bantag as BuCor Chief
Marje Pelayo • September 18, 2019 • 766
MANILA, Philippines – Newly appointed Bureau of Corrections (BuCor) Director General Gerald Bantag was personally handpicked by President Rodrigo Duterte to replace former chief Nicanor Faeldon.
Bantag is the former Regional Director of Bureau of Jail Management and Penology (BJMP) MIMAROPA.
The President was vocal about his trust in the former jail warden to lead the controversy-laden agency.
This, despite the case he is facing in relation to the blast in Parañaque City Jail in 2016 where 10 inmates were killed.
Bantag was the jail warden on duty when the incident happened.
“Well, I think the case is in court. He’s facing homicide charges. I don’t think that he did it. If he did, then baka ma-convict siya (he could be convicted),” President Rodrigo Duterte said.
“But in the meantime, gusto ko siya kasi nagtatapon ng granada daw. Gusto ko ngang magkuha ng santo wala naman, ganun rin. Magkuha ng military, wala. Dito ka sa talagang may experience sa BJMP (In the meantime, I want him in because I heard, he launches grenade. I was looking for a saint but I couldn’t find anyone. I searched the military but none [qualified]. So (I) picked the one with experience in BJMP). That’s a bureau under the DILG and you — you take care of detention prisoners,” he added.
Senator Bong Go, meanwhile, clarified that it was not him who recommended Bantag even though the President mentioned that he was picking a “killer” as the next BuCor chief due to the mounting issues of illegal drugs inside the New Bilibid Prison (NBP).
“Killer pala siya? Personal choice po ni Presidente si Bantag. Kailangan na talagang linisin ang BuCor (Was he a killer? Bantag is the President’s personal choice. The BuCor needs some cleansing),” Go said.
For Senator Vicente Sotto III, the Court is yet to prove the homicide case against Bantag and so it is just right to place the likes of Bantag inside the BuCor to tame the inmates.
“Tignan natin kung kakayanin ng mga drug lord ngayon yan, matitigil ang kabulastugan ngayon doon (Let’s see if those drug lords can go against him. Their shenanigans will be over),” Sotto added.
Go also revealed that President Duterte offered the position to AFP Chief of Staff General Benjamin Madrigal Jr. and PNP Chief Oscar Albayalde but the two refused the offer. – MNP (with reports from Grace Casin)
The Bureau of Corrections (BuCor) continues to prepare the New Bilibid Prison’s (NBP) coronavirus disease (COVID-19) quarantine area at Site Harry.
On Thursday (April 30), BuCor received medical supplies and other equipment from the ICRC (International Committee of the Red Cross). The ICRC also renovated the isolation area for the Person’s Deprived of Liberty (PDL) who are exhibiting COVID-19-like symptoms.
The ICRC donated personal protective equipment (PPEs), beds and pillows.
The said isolation area was previously used as a work area for making handicrafts. The area can accommodate up to 100 PDLs.
“The families of the PDL in the NBP can be assured that there is now a comfortable facility that can accommodate their PDL loved ones in case of confinement in relation to COVID-19,” BuCor said in a statement. AAC
MANILA, Philippines — The Bureau of Corrections (BuCor) reported on Tuesday (April 28) that two inmates at the Correctional Institute for Women (CIW) in Mandaluyong City have died from coronavirus disease (COVID-19).
The facility’s first inmate to test positive for COVID-19 died on Monday (April 27). The administration of the facility has already reached out to the relatives of the 72-year-old patient and has contacted the hospital for the proper disposition of the patient’s remains.
The patient was hospitalized on April 13 after experiencing symptoms of pneumonia.
Her admission to the hospital prompted the contact tracing of several persons deprived of liberty (PDLs) with whom she had contact days before she was confined.
Meanwhile, the BuCor also reported that the CIW inmate who was admitted at East Avenue Medical Center last April 13, expired on April 21 because of sepsis, systemic lupus and pneumonia. She was later confirmed positive for COVID-19. The test was conducted on April 14, but the result only came out on April 27.
To date, BuCor has 50 confirmed cases of PDLs positive for COVID-19, three of whom have succumbed to the disease.
All cases are found at the National Bilibid Prisons (NBP) and the CIW, the BuCor said, while the rest of the penal facilities in the country remain free of the deadly virus.
MANILA, Philippines – The Bureau of Corrections (BuCor) on Friday reported that two more persons deprived of liberty (PDL) in the Correctional Institute for Women in Mandaluyong City have tested positive for novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19).
BuCor said the two were part of the same batch tested earlier but their results were only released on Thursday.
The bureau said the COVID-19 positive patients will also be transferred to the quarantine area at the New Bilibid Prison in Muntinlupa City.
“They will join their colleagues at the NBP quarantine area (Site Harry) following strict transport protocols,” it said in a statement.
The latest cases bring to 22 the total number of individuals from the facility who contracted the viral disease.
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.