Emergency Hotlines: LANDLINE (+63) 2 911 – 8688

La Mesa Dam water level, lowest in 21 years—PAGASA

by UNTV News   |   Posted on Thursday, 14 March 2019 01:52 PM

Based on the March 14, 2019 report of PAGASA, La Mesa Dam has reached its lowest water level in 21 years at 68.74, meters.

Water level in La Mesa Dam has reached 68.74 meters according to the report of the Philippine Atmospheric Geophysical, Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA) on Thursday, making it the lowest in 21 years.

It breached the recorded lowest level of 68.75 meters in 1998. 

PAGASA also reported a decrease in the water levels of other dams including Angat dam at 199.63 meters, Binga dam at 572.24 meters, and San Roque dam at 264.79 meters.

Meanwhle, dams with increased water levels include Ipo dam at 101.06 meters, Ambuklao dam at 749.21 meters and Caliraya dam at 287.61 meters.

PAGASA estimated that severe drought might continue until June.

“Recent conditions suggest that this phenomenon will likely to continue until the April-May-June 2019 season and that varying impacts are now occurring in most areas of the country,” according to their statement—Aileen Cerrudo

Tags: , ,

It’s official! PAGASA declares onset of dry season

by UNTV News and Rescue   |   Posted on Friday, 22 March 2019 12:44 PM

QUEZON CITY, Philippines – The state weather agency PAGASA officially declared the official start of the dry season in the country on Friday (March 22).

PAGASA explained that the shift of wind direction from northeasterly to easterly in most parts of the country signifies the termination of the northeast monsoon.

However, occasional northeasterly wind still prevails over extreme Northern Luzon.

PAGASA warned that the persistent weak El Niño that is affecting large areas in the country “may result to prolonged dry spell and hotter air temperatures in the coming months.”

For this reason, the public is advised to take precautionary measures to minimize heat stress and keep hydrated to prevent heat stroke.

The agency also reminded the public “to optimize the daily use of water for personal and domestic use”. — Marje Pelayo

Tags: ,

MWSS assures no repeat of metro-wide water interruption

by UNTV News   |   Posted on Wednesday, 20 March 2019 04:19 PM

President Rodrigo Duterte admonished the Metropolitan Waterworks and Sewerage System, and water concessionaires Manila Water and Maynilad upon meeting with them on Tuesday night (March 19).

The President reportedly didn’t even bother to hear any of their defense on the water shortage.

In a statement, Malacañang said the Chief Executive issued a stern warning of removing MWSS from their posts and terminating the contracts of the two water concessionaires if their services will not improve.

“The Chief Executive bluntly told them to ‘shape up or ship out’!” Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo said.

MWSS Administrator Reynaldo Velasco assured they have already laid out plans to prevent having a repeat of the water interruption in Metro Manila.

“If I cannot do it, I will resign immediately,” Velasco added.

Velasco also admitted that the Chief Executive’s directive issued last week had been a big help for them to immediately resolve the water outage in the east zone of Metro Manila.

The official, meanwhile, denied allegations that the water shortage is just artificial and made-up to justify the construction of the New Centennial Water Source-Kaliwa Dam Project.

Velasco said, “Hindi sila pwedeng magmoro-moro sa amin. Pag moro-moro insult sa aming intelligence.We are on top of the situation. Di pwedeng mag-arte-arte yang mga water concessionaires (They cannot not play us for fools. It will be an insult to our intelligence. We are on top of the situation. These concessionaires should stop acting up).”

Meanwhile, the MWSS expects that the delivery of water supply will go back to normal in Metro Manila come April, except for some barangays in elevated areas.

Still, the MWSS assures these barangays of sufficient water supply.

“That’s not a problem because we have 150 fleets of water tanks,” Velasco added.

Meanwhile, Manila Water Spokesperson Jeric Sevilla said in a statement that they are “focused now on exerting all efforts to bring water service availability back to normal levels at the earliest possible time.” Maris Federez

Tags: , , ,

Duterte tells MWSS, water concessionaires: ‘Shape up or ship out!’

by UNTV News and Rescue   |   Posted on Wednesday, 20 March 2019 10:05 AM

MANILA, Philippines – President Rodrigo Duterte on Tuesday (March 19) scolded the executives of the Metropolitan Waterworks and Sewerage System (MWSS) and the two water concessionaires Manila Water and Maynilad for “not doing their job” that resulted in a metro-wide water shortage.

Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo said the Chief Executive vented out his anger on concerned officials and told them to “shape up or ship out!”

“In a stern message delivered without even once looking at the officials, the obviously outraged President threatened to fire the MWSS officials and terminate the concessionaires’ contracts,” Panelo said.

The meeting, which Panelo described as a ‘presidential monologue’, lasted for 40 minutes.

The President ended his tirade by ordering the officials to submit a report on the water shortage before April 7.

“After which he will decide whether heads will roll or whether the contracts of the concessionaires will be terminated,” Panelo concluded.

For more than a week, residents of Metro Manila and Rizal suffered water shortage prompting the administration to direct water authorities to release 150 days-worth of water from Angat Dam to supply affected areas.

The Upper and Lower Houses of Congress conducted their respective hearings on the matter which called for penalties against Manila Water for violating the concession agreement and the resignation of concerned officials over mismanagement, incompetence and negligence. – Marje Pelayo (with details from Rosalie Coz)

Tags: , , ,