The relatives of the Filipina who was stabbed to death by her husband in France last Friday (September 20) are calling out for justice.
Mike Cabardo still cannot accept the fate of her sister Janice Cabardo Badr after she was stabbed by her husband Christophe Badr in Maisons-Lafitte in France.
Mike recalled her sister’s message saying her husband was acting strange.
“Nawe-wierdohan si Janice sa kaniya kasi nga bigla nalang sinasabi ni Christophe na (Janice was weirded out because Christophe was saying) he wants peace of mind, he wants to see God, he want to be close to God,” he said.
Mike said Janice and Christophe had a happy relationship. They have an 18-month old daughter who is now in the care of French Social Services. Mike described Christophe as kind and cheerful that is why they cannot believe he was able to hurt Janice.
Mike speculates Christophe may have been suffering from depression which led to the crime.
Janice’s father, Losito Cabardo, wants Christophe to be liable of the crime. He also wants his daughter’s remains and his granddaughter to return to the Philippines.
“Gusto ko rin na iyong bangkay ng anak ko mapadala dito. Iyong apo ko gusto ko namin na sa akin ang custody dahil iyon nalang ang nagsisilbing alaala ng anak ko na babae, (I want my daughter’s remains to returnhere. I also want our granddaughter to be in our custody, she will be the only reminder of my daughter),” he said.
According to the Philippine Embassy in France, Christophe is already in the custody of the police.
“Rest assured that the Embassy is in direct with Ms. Cabardo Badr’s next of kin in the Philippines to keep them informed of any developments,” their statement reads.
“The Embassy also remains in close coordination with the Houilles Police” the statement added.—AAC (with reports from Janice Ingente)
MANILA, Philippines — The Philippines ranked 9th among 163 countries in the world most impacted by terrorism, based on the 2019 Global Terrorism Index (GTI).
The country moved up one spot from last year despite a slight drop in the number of terrorist activities.
According to the report, terror-related deaths in the country declined by nine percent with only 297 deaths recorded in 2018.
Likewise, terror-related incidents also reduced by 13% from 486 in 2017 to 424 in 2018.
Despite these improvements, the Philippines remains the only Southeast Asian country to be included in the top 10 list most impacted by terrorism.
The top 10 countries are as follows with their scores (10 being the highest)
The Democratic Republic of the Congo 7.039
The GTI noted the New People’s Army (NPA) as the terror group responsible for over 36% of the deaths (107 in total) and 39% of the terror-related incidents (179 in total) recorded.
The NPA is engaged in insurgency with the government for five decades already causing the deaths of 2,387 people since the 1970s, making it the Philippines’ deadliest terror group.
The second deadliest group, the GTI noted, was the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Movement (BIFM) whose attacks increased by 115% between 2017 to 2018.
The third deadliest group was the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) which sparked terror in Mindanao with its affiliate groups BIFM, Abu Sayyaf Group (ASG) and the Maute Group.
They orchestrated three suicide bombing attacks in 2018 killing a total of 18 people.
According to the GTI, attacks on government targets increased by 45% between 2017 and 2018, resulting in 139 deaths.
However, attacks on civilians slightly dropped from 103 in 2017 to 92 in 2018.
Meanwhile, attacks on police and military targets also declined significantly by 41%.
Published by the Sydney-based Institute for Economics & Peace, the Global Terrorism Index notes terrorism as “the threatened or actual use of illegal force and violence by a non-state actor to attain a political, economic, religious, or social goal through fear, coercion, or intimidation.”
MANILA, Philippines – The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) assures kin of overseas Filipino workers (OFW) in Hong Kong that they are safe and remain unaffected by the ongoing public unrest in the southeastern Chinese territory.
The DFA issued a statement following false reports on the plight of Filipino workers and residents in Hong Kong that circulated on social media.
“The Philippine Consulate General in Hong Kong is closely monitoring the situation and is taking every step to ensure the continued safety and well-being of our nationals there,” the DFA said.
The Department said those who wish to follow the impact of developments in Hong Kong on Filipinos there, are advised to visit the Consulate’s website for updates and advisories “instead of turning to questionable sources of information in the social media.”
In a live broadcast on Facebook, Consul General Raly Tejada allayed fears of families of OFWs living and working in the territory.
“Ang inyong mga mahal sa buhay dito sa Hong Kong ay safe naman po at nasa Mabuti pong kalagayan, (Your loved ones here in Hong Kong are safe),” Tejada said.
“Wala po kayong dapat ipagalala sapagkat ang Konsulado naman po dito ay nananatiling handa upang tumulong sa mga pangangailangan ng mga kababayan natin dito, (You have nothing to worry about because the Consulate is ready to provide them the necessary assistance),” he added.
Meanwhile, Tejada calls on all Filipino residents and workers in Hong Kong to always monitor the Consulate’s advisory through its official Facebook page and website where Philippine officials announce latest information regarding the ongoing protests in Hong Kong.
They may also call the Philippine Consulate’s hotline number 91554023 for assistance as they are ready to respond, according to Tejada.
Filipinos who have work contracts in Hong Kong are assured that the territory’s international airport is functional and businesses runs as usual.
However, Consul General Tejada asked non-essential travelers to Hong Kong to defer their plans at this time for their safety.
“Kung pwede po ay ipagpaliban muna at pagisipan po muna natin bago po tayo tumuloy ng Hong Kong (You may opt to defer or reconsider before you travel to Hong Kong),” he said.
“Ang mga public transportation po dito ay naapektuhan po ng rally kaya hindi po dependable sa ngayon (All public transportation here are very much affected by the rally so they are not that dependable at this time),” he concluded.
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.