Emergency Hotlines: LANDLINE (+63) 2 911 – 8688

Kaso ng teenage pregnancy sa bansa, patuloy na tumataas

by UNTV News   |   Posted on Tuesday, July 9th, 2013

Credits: Wikipedia and Google Map

Credits: Wikipedia and Google Map

MANILA, Philippines — Patuloy na tumataas ang bilang ng mga kabataang maagang nabubuntis sa bansa.

Batay sa 2011 report ng United Nations (UN) Population Fund-Philippines, tumaas ng 70 porsyento ang antas ng teenage pregnancy sa bansa sa loob lamang ng 10 taon.

Noong 1999, umabot sa 114,205 ang naitalang kaso ng teenage pregnancy sa bansa, subalit pagsapit ng 2009 ay umakyat pa ito sa 195,662 kaso.

“Adolescent pregnancy is not just a health issue, it is a development issue, it is deeply rooted on poverty, gender inequality, violence, child and force marriage,” pahayag ni Dr. Reena Dona ng United Nation Population Fund – Philippines.

Sa ulat naman ng Commission on Population noong taong 2010, nakapagtala ng 168 maternal death sa mga kabataang may edad 15 pataas.

“When they get pregnant di nila alam how to take care of themselves, nahihiya pumunta sa mga clinic. Sometimes they keep it na lang,” pahayag ni Eleonor Cura, Regional Director ng Commission on Population.

Kabilang sa mga panganib na maaaring idulot ng maagang pagbubuntis ay ang pagkakaroon ng kumplikasyon na madalas nauuwi sa kamatayan.

Kaugnay nito, nananawagan ang ilang grupo sa pamahalaan na bigyan ng atensyon ang dumaraming kaso ng teenage pregnancy sa pamamagitan ng pagpapasa ng batas na makatutulong sa maayos na komunikasyon at samahan ng isang pamilya.

“Yung values education, yun yung foremost role ng family they have to give them real value,” pahayag pa ni Cura. (Grace Casin / Ruth Navales, UNTV News)

Tags: , , , , , ,

4 Responses

  1. razielier enriquez says:

    kailangan na turuan ng maayos ng magulang ang kanilang mga anak para sa matuwirang pagdidisiplina sa srili.

  2. becbec says:

    chastity!! best way to avoid teenage pregnancy..

  3. Louisa says:

    Kung nakikinig lang sana ang mga pamilya sa salita ng Dios na pinangangaral ni Bro.Eli Soriano, mababawasan at maiiwasan pa ang ganyang mga pangyayari.

  4. Sam Morelos Banzuelo says:


Leave a Reply

Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.

North Korea, U.S. clash at disarmament forum

by UNTV News   |   Posted on Tuesday, January 23rd, 2018

FILE PHOTO: North Korea’s ambassador to the United Nations Han Tae Song attends an interview with Reuters at the Permanent Mission of North Korea in Geneva, Switzerland, November 17, 2017. REUTERS/Denis Balibouse

GENEVA (Reuters) – North Korea said on Tuesday it had a “powerful and reliable” nuclear deterrent to thwart any attack and accused the United States of deploying military assets nearby under the pretext of ensuring security at the Pyeongchang Winter Olympics.

“This is a dangerous act of throwing a wet blanket over the current positive atmosphere of inter-Korean relations … which could drive again into an extreme phase of confrontation,” Han Tae Song, North Korea’s Ambassador to the United Nations in Geneva, said.

South Korean President Moon Jae-in said on Monday a thaw in relations between the two Koreas ahead of next month’s Winter Olympics presented a “precious chance” for the United States and North Korea to discuss the North’s weapons programs.

North Korea is developing missile and nuclear technology amid regular threats to destroy the United States and Japan and in defiance of U.N. Security Council resolutions.

Han, addressing the U.N.-sponsored Conference on Disarmament, said nuclear tests last year had allowed his country to “perfect a national nuclear force” in a transparent manner.

“Thus DPRK (North Korea) at last came to possess a powerful and reliable war deterrent,” he told the Geneva forum.

“I am proudly saying that DPRK’s nuclear force is capable of frustrating and countering any nuclear threats from the U.S. and it constitutes a powerful deterrent that prevents the U.S. from starting an adventurous war.”

Han said as a “responsible nuclear power” North Korea could not resort to using the weapons unless hostile forces violate its sovereignty or interests.

U.S. disarmament ambassador Robert Wood said: ”The United States will not recognize North Korea as a nuclear weapon state.

“If the North wishes to return and be in the good graces of the international community, it knows what it has to do, it has to take steps toward denuclearisation of the Korean peninsula.”

In an earlier speech on Tuesday, United Nations disarmament official Izumi Nakamitsu welcomed an easing of tensions between North and South Korea but called for further steps toward removing nuclear weapons from the divided peninsula.

Reporting by Stephanie Nebehay; Editing by Robin Pomeroy and Janet Lawrence

Tags: , , , , ,

France to launch international group targeting toxic gas attacks

by UNTV   |   Posted on Monday, January 22nd, 2018

France has asked some 30 countries to work together to preserve evidence of chemical weapons attacks and impose sanctions on those responsible after Russia ended an international inquiry into who is to blame for using toxic gas in Syria.

France will host a meeting on Tuesday in Paris to launch the initiative, French U.N. Ambassador Francois Delattre told a United Nations Security Council meeting on nonproliferation of weapons of mass destruction last Thursday.

“Likewise, the restoration of a complete ban on chemical weapons is an overriding necessity. Impunity cannot be an option. This constitutes the merit of the joint investigative mechanism, the Jim, a mechanism whose dissolution is particularly regrettable. However, we can not throw in the towel. The criminals that have been identified as having used such weapons, be they state actors be they non-state actors, must be punished and those who may envisage such use should be deterred from so doing,” said the French ambassador.

The move comes after an international investigation into who is to blame for chemical weapons attacks in Syria ended in November after Syrian ally Russia blocked for the third time in a month attempts at the United Nations to renew the inquiry, which Moscow has slammed as flawed.

Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said accusations against the Syrian government were “baseless” and accused western states of ignoring a chemical weapons threat posed by extremist groups.

In the past two years, the joint inquiry of the United Nations and the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) had found the Syrian government used the nerve agent sarin in an April 4, 2017, attack and has also several times used chlorine as a weapon.

It blamed Islamic State militants for using mustard gas.

Syria agreed to destroy its chemical weapons in 2013 under a deal brokered by Russia and the United States. The Syrian government has denied using chemical weapons. — Reuters


Tags: , , , ,

Diphtheria kills 48, infects more than 500 in Yemen – WHO

by UNTV   |   Posted on Wednesday, January 10th, 2018

At least 514 people in Yemen are believed to have been infected with diphtheria, with the disease killing 48 of them since the outbreak began in mid-august, as reported by the World Health 0rganization (WHO) on Tuesday.

“We need to highlight that the age group that has been hit most is the young adults particularly the age group between five and 15 years of age and children under five years of age,” said Dr. Nevio Zagaria.

Yemen, one of the Arab world’s poorest countries, is embroiled in a proxy war between the Houthi armed movement, allied with Iran, and a U.S.-backed military coalition headed by Saudi Arabia.

The United Nations calls Yemen the world’s worst humanitarian crisis, with 8 million people on the brink of famine and a failing health system.

WHO Representative Dr. Nevio Zagaria warned that the spread of diphtheria was significantly more dangerous than the already widespread cholera because of its higher fatality rate.

“Cholera is also a very serious disease. We expect a maximum of case fatality rate of below one percent of the [cholera] cases. But just to give a comparison of how much serious is the disease and more difficult to treat the disease. The expected case fatality rate of diphtheria is between five and 10 percent of the cases,” said Zagaria.

Almost 100 districts in Yemen have reported at least one diphtheria case with a heavy concentration in the province of Ibb, which reported approximately 50 percent of the total infections across the country. — Reuters

Tags: , , ,