Justice sought for Filipina who jumped off a building in Abu Dhabi
Marje Pelayo • October 17, 2019 • 433
MANILA, Philippines – The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) assured the grieving family of Filipina worker, Mary Jean Balag-ey Alberto, that the agency is closely monitoring the development of her case together with local authorities in the United Arab Emirates.
Alberto reportedly died on October 2 when she allegedly jumped off the 13th floor of a building in Abu Dhabi where she had been working.
“The Department shall respond appropriately once the results of the forensic investigation are released,” Foreign Affairs Undersecretary for Migrant Workers Affairs Sarah Lou Arriola said.
In a statement, the DFA said the Office of the Undersecretary for Migrant Workers Affairs (OUMWA) and the Philippine Embassy in Abu Dhabi are in coordination with Alberto’s family.
Specifically, Embassy representatives assisted Alberto’s daughter in a case conference with the concerned UAE authorities and a lawyer was retained to personally pursue immediate legal steps to ensure that justice for the death of the Filipina worker would be served.
According to UAE authorities, Alberto committed suicide but her family is seeking the truth on a possible foul play regarding her death.
“The Department is extending all assistance necessary in the immediate resolution of the case, as well as in the repatriation of Ms. Alberto’s remains to the Philippines,” the DFA in the statement concluded.
MANILA, Philippines – The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) on Friday, February 21 announced that operations at all its consular offices will be suspended on Tuesday, February 25.
In an advisory, the DFA said the suspension of operations, including the one in Aseana Business Park, is in observance of the anniversary of the EDSA Revolution, which is declared as a special non-working holiday.
Applicants with confirmed appointments who will be unable to avail of consular services due to the suspension of operations will be accommodated until March 25 during regular hours, except on Saturdays.
Regular operations and services will resume on Wednesday, February 26, according to the DFA.
MANILA, Philippines – Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) Secretary Teodoro Locsin Jr. has ordered the immediate repatriation of Filipinos aboard the Diamond Princess cruise ship in Yokohama, Japan.
In a Twitter post on Wednesday, Locsin announced he has ordered the Philippine Embassy in Tokyo, Japan to repatriate Filipinos on the ship after its passengers who tested negative for novel coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) were allowed to disembark after the 14-day quarantine period.
“I have ordered our Tokyo Embassy to immediately repatriate our people in the Diamond Princess cruise ship in Yokohoma Japan. It’s our duty to take care of our Overseas Filipinos wherever they are. I want them home now!” he said.
As of Wednesday, February 19, 41 Filipino crew members of the ship were found positive for COVID-19. Like other people on the ship confirmed to be infected with the virus, the Filipinos were brought to hospitals in Japan to undergo treatment.
The DFA earlier said there are 531 Filipino crew members and seven passengers aboard the quarantined cruise ship. Around 400 of them have expressed their desire to be repatriated to the Philippines.
The department said they have been coordinating with Japanese authorities and the operator of the vessel to ensure that everything would be smooth once the repatriation process begins.
MANILA, Philippines – Filipinos working in Macau and Hong Kong can now return to their jobs despite the travel ban being implemented on China and its territories due to the threat of novel coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19), the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) said Tuesday.
In a Twitter post, DFA Undersecretary Brigido “Dodo” Dulay announced that Filipino migrants returning for work in Hong Kong and Macau have been exempted from the outbound travel ban.
However, Dulay said they will be subjected to “certain procedural formalities.”
“OFWs (overseas Filipino workers) returning for work in Hong Kong and Macau have been exempted from the outbound travel ban by the IATF-EID (Inter-Agency Task Force on Emerging Infectious Diseases) subject to certain procedural formalities,” he said.
Hundreds of Filipino workers bound for Hong Kong and Macau were left stranded in the Philippines after President Rodrigo Duterte on February 2 imposed travel restrictions on China and its territories hit with the deadly virus.
Stranded migrant workers were offered P10,000 cash assistance, and provided with dormitories and food while they await the lifting of the travel ban.
Groups of OFWs have earlier appealed to the government to let them return to China and its territories in fear of losing their jobs.
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.