JBC to finalize nomination, application procedures for the next CJ

Marje Pelayo   •   June 22, 2018   •   3023

 

MANILA, Philippines — The Judicial Bar Council (JBC) will convene on Monday (June 25) to set final guidelines on the nomination and application process for the next Chief Justice of the Supreme Court (SC).

Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra, an ex-officio member of the JBC, said in a text message on Thursday (June 21): “It is expected that the JBC will direct the publication of a notice stating that it will now accept applications or nominations for the vacant CJ position.”

Meanwhile, Atty. Jose Mejia assured that they will be strict when it comes to screening the applicants especially on the issue of the statement of assets, liabilities and net worth (SALN); an important document that triggered a controversy and toppled Maria Lourdes Sereno as chief justice.

“We have always been strict naman kasi simple lang naman kasi iyan. Here are the requirements you submit kaya lang may konting nuisances that had to happen,” Mejia explained.

Mejia added that they may also consider cutting the application period short.

“Normally we give 45 days, but with this one, since time is of the essence, maybe we will lower down the number of days for the application, ” he said.

After the screening process, the JBC will begin the public interviews before deliberating on the shortlist and voting for the person  they will recommend to President Rodrigo Duterte.

Under the law, the chief justice position must be filled within 90 days from the occurrence of the vacancy. – JL Asayo / Marje Pelayo

Duterte names Diosdado Peralta as new Supreme Court Chief Justice

Robie de Guzman   •   October 23, 2019

Newly-appointed Chief Justice Diosdado Peralta

MANILA, Philippines – President Rodrigo Duterte named Associate Justice Diosdado Peralta as the new chief justice of the Supreme Court, Malacañang said Wednesday.

Executive Secretary Salvador Medialdea confirmed that Duterte signed Peralta’s appointment paper on Wednesday in a message to reporters.

Peralta will be replacing Lucas Bersamin, who retired last week after reaching the mandatory retirement age of 70.

Peralta beat Associate Justices Estela Perlas-Bernabe and Andres Reyes Jr. who were also shortlisted by the Judicial and Bar Council (JBC) for the post.

Peralta and Perlas-Bernabe both got seven votes while Reyes received four votes.

Among the three candidates for the post, Peralta is the most senior justice in terms of the number of years in the Judiciary.

Justice Peralta is an alumnus of the University of Santo Tomas Faculty of Civil Law, the Supreme Court said in a statement.

Born in Laoag City, Ilocos Norte, Peralta started his career in government service when he was appointed Third Assistant City Fiscal in 1987 then went on to become a trial court judge and later a Sandiganbayan Justice before he was appointed to the Supreme Court in 2009.

Prior to his SC appointment, he was a professor, lecturer, resource person, and Bar reviewer in Criminal Law, Criminal Procedure, Remedial Law, and Trial Techniques in various universities.

Peralta will be sitting as the chief magistrate until he retires at the age of 70 on March 27, 2022.

Peralta, Bernabe get top JBC votes in SC chief justice shortlist

Robie de Guzman   •   October 15, 2019

Supreme Court Associate Justices Diosdado Peralta (L) and Estela Perlas-Bernabe (R)

MANILA, Philippines – Supreme Court Associate Justices Estela Perlas-Bernabe and Diosdado Peralta got top votes from the Judicial and Bar Council (JBC) in its shortlist for the next chief justice.

According to a copy of the shortlist released by the SC’s Public Information Office on Tuesday, October 15, both Bernabe and Peralta got seven votes.

Associate Justice Andres Reyes Jr., meanwhile, got four votes from JBC members while Associate Justice Jose Reyes received one vote.

The chief justice position will be vacated when CJ Lucas Bersamin reaches the mandatory retirement age of 70 on October 18.

Bersamin was appointed by President Rodrigo Duterte as chief justice on November 28, 2018.

The shortlist has been submitted by the JBC to Duterte for choosing.

Under the Philippine Constitution, Duterte has 90 days to pick the next SC top magistrate.

Malacañang said it will respect SC ruling on Marcos electoral protest

Marje Pelayo   •   October 15, 2019

(L-R) Vice President Leni Robredo and former senator Bongbong Marcos

MANILA, Philippines – Malacañang said it will abide by whatever the decision of the Supreme Court (SC) regarding the electoral protest filed by former Senator Bongbong Marcos against Vice President Leni Robredo.

“Whatever the decision of the court, we should abide by it,” noted Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo.

In 2016, Marcos accused Robredo of “massive cheating” in the 2016 elections.

He lost to Robredo by some 260,000 votes, but Robredo’s camp said her lead over Marcos grew by 15,000 votes after the initial recount.

On Tuesday (October 14), the PET ordered the release of a report on the initial recount of votes.

“Hayaan ninyo na sila (Let them be). We’ll just wait and let the parties argue their case in court and PET will have to render its decision,” he added. – MNP (with reports from Rosalie Coz)

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.