JBC now accepting application for SC justice post after Gesmundo’s CJ appointment
MANILA, Philippines – The Judicial and Bar Council (JBC) announced it is now accepting applications and recommendations for the vacant Supreme Court Associate Justice post following the recent promotion of Alexander Gesmundo as Chief Justice.
In a document posted by the Supreme Court Public Information Office, the JBC said applications and recommendations for the said post, as well as the documentary requirements, will be accepted until May 10.
“Interested applicants must visit the official JBC website and access the online application scheduler between 8 a.m. and 12 midnight, not later than May 10,” the JBC said.
Among the documentary requirements that must be submitted are application letter or recommendation letter with conforme, Personal Data Sheet, transcript of law school records, PSA issued birth certificate, certificates of admission to the Bar with Bar rating, employment, clearances from the Office of the Ombudsman, National Bureau of Investigation, Philippine National Police, medical exam results, income tax returns, and Statement of Assets, Liabilities and Net Worth.
The JBC said that the digitized versions of the documentary requirements they will submit must be “complete” and “accurate.”
The JBC is a constitutional office that accepts, screens, and nominates appointments to the judiciary.
It will then submit a list of nominees to President Rodrigo Duterte for selection.
Duterte has 90 days from vacancy to appoint a new SC magistrate.
Supreme Court: Oral arguments on anti-terror act to resume April 27
MANILA, Philippines — The oral arguments on petitions questioning the legality of the Anti-Terrorism Act of 2020 will resume on April 27, the Supreme Court (SC) said.
In an advisory, the SC said the next oral arguments would be held via videoconferencing “given the current public health situation.”
“Oral arguments shall resume on April 27, 2021, at 2:30 p.m. which, per prior order, is two weeks after the lifting of enhanced community quarantine in the National Capital Judicial Region,” the SC said.
“This arrangement shall be pro hac vice [for this occasion only] vis-à-vis these consolidated cases. Personal appearance before the Court En Banc remains to e the primary mode of conducting oral arguments,” it added.
The proceedings will be streamed online but will only be limited to an audio feed, the high court said.
The oral arguments on the 37 petitions lodged against the measure were put on hold since last month due to the spike of infections and other COVID-19 concerns.
SC releases copy of decision on Marcos’ electoral protest
MANILA, Philippines — The Supreme Court (SC) has released a copy of its decision junking the electoral protest filed by former Senator Ferdinand ‘Bongbong’ Marcos against Vice President Leni Robredo.
Based on the 91-page decision of the SC Presidential Electoral Tribunal (PET), Marcos’ “allegations appeared bare, laden with generic and repetitious allegations and lacked critical information.”
It also junked the third cause of action of the electoral protest which is the annulment of elections in three provinces: Maguindanao, Lanao Del Sur, and Basilan.
After the recount, Robredo got a total of 14,436,337 votes, while Marcos got 14,157,771 total votes.
Last February, the SC dismissed Marcos’ electoral protest; however, the former Senator said it does not include their third cause of action.
According to the tribunal, Marcos also failed to prove there was an anomaly during the elections and that Robredo was behind it. AAC (with reports from Dante Amento)
Supreme Court extends physical closure of courts in NCR Plus until April 18
MANILA, Philippines—Physical courts in the National Capital Region (NCR) Plus will remain closed until April 18, the Supreme Court (SC) announced on Saturday (April 10).
Based on SC Administrative Circular no. 21-2021, all courts in the NCR Plus will continue to operate through videoconferencing and judges can conduct fully remote hearings online.
“Considering the unbated rise of COVID-19 cases, the requests of judges and court personnel, and upon the concurrence of the members of the court en banc; all the courts and judicial offices in the National Capital Judicial Region and the provinces of Bulacan, Cavite, Laguna, and Rizal shall remain physically closed until April 18,” the circular reads.
The SC said its offices in the NCR Plus can be reached via hotline and email addressed posted on its website.
Meanwhile, the time for filing and service of pleadings and motions during this period is suspended and shall resume “seven calendar days counted from the first day of physical reopening of the relevant court.” AAC