Japan’s Coincheck reports to regulators over $530 million cryptocurrency heist

UNTV News   •   February 13, 2018   •   3601

FILE PHOTO: Journalists are seen next to Cryptocurrency exchange Coincheck’s signboard while Japan’s financial regulator conducts a spot inspection on Coincheck, in Tokyo, Japan February 2, 2018. REUTERS/Kim Kyung-Hoon/File Photo

TOKYO (Reuters) – Japanese cryptocurrency exchange Coincheck Inc, under pressure to better safeguard investors after the daring theft of $530 million (£382 million) of digital money last month, said it had on Tuesday filed a report with regulators on the hacking.

The Financial Services Agency ordered Coincheck to raise its standards after the late-January hack, directing it to submit a report on the security of its systems and measures it would take to prevent a repeat.

The report included Coincheck’s investigation into the heist and details of steps to bolster its risk management system, the exchange said in a statement.

The submission of the report came as Coincheck lifted curbs on yen withdrawals.

The exchange, which froze all withdrawals of yen and cryptocurrencies following the heist, said last week it had confirmed the integrity of its system security and would from Tuesday allow customers to withdraw yen. A source told Reuters on Friday that Coincheck had received withdrawal requests from customers totalling about 30 billion yen (£202 million).

The exchange will hold a press conference at 8 p.m. local time (1100 GMT), the person familiar with the matter said. Coincheck did not immediately respond to an emailed request for comment.

The heist has exposed flaws in Japan’s system of regulating cryptocurrency trading, and raised questions over the country’s dash to oversee the industry – a move that was in sharp contrast to clampdowns by policymakers in countries such as South Korea, China and India.

LAWSUIT

Despite allowing customers to resume withdrawing yen from its systems, Coincheck said last week it would keep in place curbs on cryptocurrency withdrawals until it could guarantee the secure resumption of its operations.

“We are continuing to confirm and improve the security of our systems in order to resume transfers of other cryptocurrencies,” Coincheck said.

A lawyer representing a group of ten cryptocurrency traders told Reuters that they will launch a lawsuit against Coincheck on Thursday over the curbs on taking out cryptocurrencies.

The group will file a claim at the Tokyo District Court for Coincheck to allow withdrawals to private “wallets” – digital folders for storing money – outside the hacked exchange, the lawyer, Hiromu Mochizuki, said.

Separately, Bank of Japan Governor Haruhiko Kuroda said on Tuesday cryptocurrencies likely won’t threaten legal tenders like the yen any time soon as they are mostly used for speculative trading, rather than as payments and settlement means.

Kuroda also said the BOJ was closely watching developments in cryptocurrency trading to ensure they do not erode public trust over the safety of existing settlement systems overseen by the central bank.

“Cryptocurrencies aren’t legal tenders and don’t have assets to back up their value,” the BOJ chief said.

Reporting by Takahiko Wada and Thomas Wilson; Additional reporting by Leika Kihara Editing by Shri Navaratnam

DOF warns public vs bogus cryptocurrency platform

Robie de Guzman   •   May 20, 2020

MANILA, Philippines – The Department of Finance (DOF) has warned the public against an article alleging that the Philippines is creating a platform for its citizens to invest in cryptocurrency.

In a statement, the DOF said the article claiming that the government has created a platform called “Bitcoin Lifestyle” is fake news.

“There is no such effort by the government,” Finance assistant secretary Antonio Joselito Lambino II said.

“We categorically deny that there is such a move, and warn the public against potentially harmful financial transactions with those behind the article,” he added.

The DOF said the fake news article also stated that President Duterte is “urging all citizens of the Philippines to learn about the platform to get involved.

The article also claimed that the “tax revenues will be huge and will benefit all citizens” and “will go to the financing of Philippines’ retirement and to counteract the crisis of learning support services.”

“This is false. We urge the public to exercise caution in their investments, and to keep their expectations of returns realistic,” Lambino said.

The Finance official also urged the public to report similarly suspicious investment schemes to the Enforcement and Investor Protection Department of the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), with telephone number 8818-5704.

“We warn unscrupulous individuals and groups attempting to lure the public into unauthorized and deceptive investment schemes that the government is monitoring the public space for such schemes, and will take appropriate legal and regulatory action,” he added.

Japanese national: Let’s clean up Baguio City together!

Aileen Cerrudo   •   July 17, 2019

(Left) Masakazu Nose voluntarily paints an overpass in Baguio City. (Right) Masakasu inviting netizens to join him in a cleanup drive.

Masakazu Nose used to run a small takoyaki store in Baguio City.

Born in Tokushima, Japan, Masakazu is known to be a silent man in his 40’s. Some people would even describe him as gentle.

He came to the Philippines in April 2014 to learn English. One month later, he began cleaning overpasses along Magsaysay Avenue, Abanao Street, and lower Session Road.

Every morning, with a pair of tongs in one hand and a garbage bag in the other, Masakazu would go around the streets collecting trash like candy wrappers and plastic cups.

Masakazu even bought paints at his own expense to repaint walls. In a report, he said he did these things because he has time to spare.

This earned the admiration of the locals as well as the media. He was interviewed by various news outlets. Netizens still continue to share their admiration for Masakazu a few years after he first became viral.

Did You Know ?. . . . . Mazakasu Nose is a Japanese National who has lived in Baguio City for a number of years. He owns…

Posted by Romeo del Carmen on Sunday, 14 July 2019

After staying in the Philippines for three years, Masakazu returned to Japan to manage an oil soba store near Okubo station in Tokyo.

But he has never forgotten about his life in the Philippines, which he calls his second home.

Masazaku will return on August 1-3 to clean up the city—this time, he is inviting everyone.

“Let’s clean up the city together!” his Facebook post reads.—AAC

Police rescue kidnapped Japanese in Bulacan, 3 suspect arrested

admin   •   April 11, 2018

The three suspects arrested by the Anti-Kidnapping Group of the Philippine National Police for kidnapping a Japanese national

The PNP Anti Kidnaping Group (PNP-AKG) rescued a Japanese national in Plaridel, Bulacan last April 5.

The victim identified as Yuji Nakajima arrived in the country last March 22 with another Japanese national identified as Yusuke Obara.

Obara brought Nakijima to the country in order to pay his debts by working for him.

On the same day, two men went to the hotel in Manila where Nakajima was staying at and invited him to come with them after talking with Obara on the phone.

Nakajima was not aware he was a victim of kidnapping. Involved in the crime were Obara, a certain Miyashita Takashi and two Filipinos identified as Roberto and Reggie Reyes.

The suspects’ plan of seeking ransom from the victim’s relatives in Japan was halted after the incident was reported to the police by a relative of the Reyes siblings.

With this, the PNP–Anti Kidnapping Group rescued Nakajima at a drug store in Plaridel, Bulacan.

The following morning the police unit arrested Miyashita Takashi in Parañaque and the Reyes siblings in Pasig City.

Authorities seized from the suspects a passport, various cards of the victim, a .45 caliber gun, and ammunition.

“Two are still at large. One is a Filipino, and the other is Yusuke Obara who is being pursued by the Japanese police,” said PSSupt. Glen Dumlao, director of PNP-AKG.

The three arrested suspects are facing charges of serious illegal detention and violation of Republic Act 10591 or the comprehensive law on firearms and ammunition. — Lea Ylagan | UNTV News & Rescue

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.